Two-Handed Casting?

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:38 PM
VibraJet

Default Two-Handed Casting?

I can't figure this out.

Rod is a Shakespeare Wonderod Purist 9 1/2' 11wt. Rod would actually be
8'-9", but for the extra 9" handle section on the but. Using, or trying to
use, Cortland 333 WF11I line.

I'd like to use this for a surf rod, and on the back bays for blues,
stripers, etc. But can't get the hang of two-handed overhand casting.

Maybe I need a heavier line to load the rod better? The best results I've
had were while casting very aggresively - moving the rod very fast to get
the line moving.

Also, not sure of actual techniques involved. Usual one handed casting, I
cast with the right while guiding the line with the left hand. With this, I
assume the line must be guided with the right forefinger?

I've already realized the importance of a stripping basket while practicing
with the rod in the river, and have a tupperware that will be perfect.

I can't cast this rod for crap - lucky to get 40 feet. Can't find a
tutorial on-line, although I see there's a video available that looks
useful. Any books or tips that might be useful? Maybe I'm fighting a
crummy rod? Maybe my timing is wrong? Need a heavier line?

Timothy Juvenal

Old July 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
VibraJet

"Greg Pavlov" wrote...

The very basic principles are the same. Kreh's
basic approach is that you cast pretty much as
usual but use the line hand to give an extra push
(backcast) and pull (forward cast) at the same
point that you would doublehaul. I tend to use
the line hand a bit more than that. The line
weight should be ok. Is this a relatively stiff
rod ? Having mucked around with 4 or 5 two-handers
for the surf I would say that stiffer with "fast"
to "moderate-fast" action is better.

This is a fairly stiff moderate-fast action rod.

Take a look at http://www.flyfishingforum.com

Ah, I needed to register to search the forums - great resource, exactly what
I needed! Lots of good info about two-handed casting to read. Thanks,
Greg.

Timothy Juvenal