ant patterns

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:56 PM
bones

Default ant patterns

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:13:40 GMT, "gary" wrote:

I have always used grasshopper patterns , but never really gave ants a
thought in the summer. Does anyone have a good ant pattern, do they work
well? I think I'll tie some up.

I'd guess that an ant pattern would be better than grasshoppers as they are
naturaly are around most the summer.

How well do beetle pattern's work?

http://www.troutflies.com/go.mvc?ID=cdc+ant
Old December 1st, 2003, 04:10 AM
Larry and a cat named Dub

I use a fiskers roller cutter to cut foam and a June Taylor Shape Cut Too
cutting guide for cutting foam I got the cutter from wall Mart and the Guide
from a fabric store It has a guide with slits for the cutting wheel to go
in.
It does a beautiful job for cutting foam as narrow as 1/8 wide. Probably
narrower but I never tried.
For foam ants use a sweeper nylon bristles for the legs. I looked at several
before I found the right one. I have a pattern if I can find it. It does a
beautiful job. The things look so real I wanted to kill them after I got
them tied. Check with me later

Old December 1st, 2003, 05:33 PM
Lazarus Cooke

One of the best fishing essays of all time is about the need for ant
patterns when there's, very occasionally, a heavy fall of winged ants.

The essay is part of the book "Rod and Line" by the guy who was the
fishing correspondent for the Manchester Guardian, one of the great
English newspapers. Ransome had covered the Russian Revolution for the
paper ** by far the most knowledgeable British account ** played chess
with Lenin, and went on to marry Trotsky's secretary.

They lived together in the Lake District in England, where Ransome went
on to write a series of children's books, the first of which was called
"Swallows and Amazons" which are mainly about sailing on the lakes.
They are some of the best childrens' books ever written.

Ransome is to my mind just about the best fishing writer, anywhere,
ever.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address