Bluing steel bead chain

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Bluing steel bead chain

Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue bead
chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique and the name
of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Jack Schmitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue bead
chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique and the name
of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

"Gun blue" ( that is the common name) will not work on all bead chain.
Normally it is used for bluing gun barrels etc.

The usual ingredients are Selenious Acid, Cupric Sulfate, and Phosphoric
Acid. But there are also some proprietary mixtures.

A seacrh on "gun blue" will turn up plenty of suppliers.

TL
MC

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Mike Connor" wrote in
:

"Jack Schmitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue
bead chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique
and the name of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

"Gun blue" ( that is the common name) will not work on all bead chain.
Normally it is used for bluing gun barrels etc.

The usual ingredients are Selenious Acid, Cupric Sulfate, and
Phosphoric Acid. But there are also some proprietary mixtures.

A seacrh on "gun blue" will turn up plenty of suppliers.

TL
MC

If I recall correctly, there are also magic-marker type devices that you
can use to clean up a scratch on a blued barrel. If this would work on
beads, it would be easier to use.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Jack Schmitt wrote:
Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue bead
chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique and the name
of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

Birchwood Casey is one brand. There are others. The touchup pens work
ok(on guns), but I can't vouch for their durability.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...ID=1&subcat=10

brians

Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Mardi-Gra Bead Chain

Mr Ed Engelman got me using a while back "Mardi-Gra" bead chain. It is
heavy enough and even comes in small sizes. It is plastic but heavy
enough for flies. You can go to your local party shop and get it for
about
$1.00 a strand. It comes in all sizes. Even small typical bead chain
size

Jack Stemmata wrote:

Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue bead
chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique and the name
of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

--
"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or
even touched. They must be felt in the heart." -- Helen Kelley
Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I may add it also comes in an assortment of metallic colors!
Mike

Jack Stemmata wrote:

Somewhere I read about a gun bluing solution that was used to blue bead
chain for use as eyes. Is anyone familiar with this technique and the name
of the solution.

TIA.

Jack

--
"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or
even touched. They must be felt in the heart." -- Helen Kelley

--
"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or
even touched. They must be felt in the heart." -- Helen Keller
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:40:47 -0600, Mike Bernardoni
wrote:

"The best and the most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or
even touched. They must be felt in the heart." -- Helen Kelley

Uhhhh, not to be a nit-picker, but it's Hellen Keller.