Catch & Release

Old August 10th, 2004, 08:16 PM
RGarri7470

Default Catch & Release

I don't think you're going to find anyone here that's going to advocate you
"throwing away" a bass regardless of the circumstances.

Warren

Sorry, Warren, but I agree completely. I had a state fisheries biologists tell
me two weeks ago that I should remove small bass from my pond, even if I just
discard them. Removing them is the only way to keep teh pond in balance. I have
not been doing that and had a bad fish kill in one pond because it is
overpopulated. What I do with fish in my pond does not affect anyone but me.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Jeff

That's not exactly true. Look at what pheasant farms do for dog training.
You can hunt pheasant on those farms all year long. Deer can be hunted the
same way with a fence if you bought and paid for the deer assuming no deer
were in place to begin with. It is possible that these laws very from state
to state. I am pretty certain that in Ohio, if the pond does not drain into
public waters, you can do whatever you want.

Jeff

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
news
I believe the same thing applies to farmlands and hunting. So if I own 500
acres... can I legally harvest deer from there 365 days a year? Nope!

"Craig" wrote in message
In Michigan, my pond or my lake means I own the hole, but once water

enters
that hole, the state of Michigan has regulation over the water and the
wildlife that is in it or on it. I can maintain it (meaning I can stock

it
how I please), but if the state HAS any knowledge of that pond, limit

laws
can be enforced and it can never be drained without DEQ's permission -

under
the laws that govern wetlands.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old August 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Jeff

So, if John Kerry did this, it would not have been a problem? Oh wait --
that is the guy that thought cutting holes in the ice was cheating. No
actually, that was Bill Clinton. Kerry was too dumb to figure it out. :-)

Jeff

"Craig" wrote in message
Rodney wrote: "That means your state is CRAZY, and you will never have any
decent size
fish in a small pond,, not for long anyway,, I would love to read that
law,, surely it's posted some where on the internet ? "

Reponses: Probably is, but don't look for me to go find it.

Rodney wrote: "Let me tell you that is not the case everywhere,, and it's
sure not down south, our state has a little bit of brains when it comes to
fish and game management"

Response: If George has anything to do with it, you're right, a little

brain
is involved - very little. The man is an idiot, who has stiffed way Too
much coke!!!

Old August 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Rodney

go-bassn wrote:

C&R has nothing to do with root of the problem, though it doesn't help
improve it. The lakes you speak of are out of balance as a result of a weak
link or links in their ecostystems. It also has nothing to do with the size
of the lakes either, as vast water bodies can be subject to imbalances as
well (although not as likely). Small lakes & ponds can & do have totally
healthy, balanced predator/prey populations for decades.

In your lakes bass are most likely the top predator. If they become stunted
& overpopulated it's a result of a weakness far below them in the food chain
that results in a significant lack of forage. This can be caused by lots of
things, from lack of nursery cover to overstocking of predatory species.
Basically everyone in there needs to eat when they're hungry.

Ceasing C&R practices is nothing more than a temporary fix, it does nothing
to solve the problem. And throwing away perfectly good bass is a rediculous
waste of a resource.

Warren

Ponds are balanced to "provide" some removal of fish, the "perfect"
balance without removing those fish from small compounds can not be had,
there is no pond that is "perfect" and grow trophy fish, without the
removal of bass

WHy don't you spend a little time with your wildlife department's
biologist, like i have for 30 years, they do accept volunteer workers to
help them out, at least my state does.

At least do a little research in pond management

Knowing how to catch fish does not make you an expert on the
conservation of fish.

You must be a democrat They all think the "world" can be made perfect :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old August 10th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Rodney

RGarri7470 wrote:

Sorry, Warren, but I agree completely. I had a state fisheries biologists tell
me two weeks ago that I should remove small bass from my pond, even if I just
discard them. Removing them is the only way to keep teh pond in balance. I have
not been doing that and had a bad fish kill in one pond because it is
overpopulated. What I do with fish in my pond does not affect anyone but me.
Ronnie

He won't believe you Ronnie, well, at least he won't admit I was right,
some how he thinks I'm a threat to him, If I know something he does not.

If I tell the group the sky is blue,, he will say it's gray. He does not
understand how bad this makes him look

Old August 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Jeff

Default OT Catch & Release

That is an interesting comment. Most Republicans I know are Christians.
Many Democrats I know are not. I am not saying that a Democrat cannot be a
Christian. A Christian knows that this world will not be made perfect by
our actions. It will get better upon the return of you know who. Then it
will be destroyed and remade.

I am not trying to stereotype anyone, but perhaps that is the fundamental
difference between the two parties. Also, liberals tend to see things as
complex issues -- three sides to a two sided coin. Conservatives view
things more as black & white or right & wrong.

Let's get back to fishing!!!

Jeff