Moving water in MA.

Old June 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Moving water in MA.

I live in N.Central Mass.

I have only been here for a couple of years and have mainly fished ponds and
lakes.

The only moving water in my backyard is the Squanacook and Nashua rivers.
Like Nick Lyons says, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of
the fence", so I have a habit of fishing near my home and exploring outwards
rather than picking a well known destination and planning a trip. I have
found some very unpressured waters that way. But in this case the two rivers
I mentioned have been pretty pathetic so far.

Last summer I took a drive with the GF heading west on Rt. 2 and found the
Miller river. I stopped at several places where the river was visable from
the road and tried a few casts without much success.

After following ROFF closely now for a couple weeks it seems Stan Gula and a
few others live in Western MA.

Without giving away favorite holes do you guys have any suggestions?

--
Ric Hamel
A poor$, poor$ fishing freak living in the GWN

Old June 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Alaskan420 wrote:
snip
After following ROFF closely now for a couple weeks it seems Stan
Gula and a few others live in Western MA.

Without giving away favorite holes do you guys have any suggestions?

Yes. Plenty.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old June 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Alaskan420 wrote:
Without giving away favorite holes do you guys have any suggestions?

Massachusetts Council of Trout Unlimited publishes a good guide called
'Flyfishing for Trout in Massachusetts'. I think there are a couple of
commercial books on the topic too. However, I'm very active in Mass. TU and
think their book is not only good information, but a good cause. 80% of the
proceeds of sales from Chapters or members goes toward conservation work in
our State.

I have one remaining copy of the original printing from 1984 - it's a
collector's item and I would let it go for a decent amount. If you're
interested, make me an offer.

I have two copies of the second printing (I forget the date offhand). Cover
price is $15 but it's really worth $20 because we spent too much to have
that printing done. I would let you buy a copy for $20 plus $5 postage and
handing.

The new edition just started shipping a month ago. I don't have any of
those on hand but can get my hands on some within a week, Cover price on
those is $20. The new edition has some editorial content changes, revised
formatting and artwork by Alan James Robinson
http://www.wildlifegraphics.com/

The new book is available from any TU Chapter in the State including the
Squanatissit Chapter in your neighborhood. It is also available in
Massachusetts fly shops (Mass. TU only gets $8 of every copy if you buy
retail so I would suggest buying it direct if you want to support the
cause).

Email me if you're interested.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old June 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:33:21 GMT, "Stan Gula"
wrote:

Alaskan420 wrote:
[...]

SNICKER

TC,
....and for some reason, I suspect that a reasonable smattering of
tidbits might have been shared under different circumstances...
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
Alaskan420 wrote:
[...]

Stan,

I would like to get a new copy from you when they become available. I agree.
I would rather TU get the lions share.

Ric

Old June 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Dana wrote:
I'll take a copy of that book for NH....Name your price....

Dana

I was talking about a book by and for MA. I know nothing about books about
NH (nor do I have any first hand knowledge about fishing NH).
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps