DIY Fly Fishing in Patagonia (argentina / chile)?

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default DIY Fly Fishing in Patagonia (argentina / chile)?

Does anyone have any idea where I might find information about do-it-
yourself fly fishing in Argentina / Chile / Patagonia?

I'm trying to book a last minute fly fishing adventure for over the
Xmas break. I have money, but not a ton of it, and I don't really
like going out with guides anyway, and have zero need for fancy
lodges, so I'd love to do it myself... but so far I've had trouble
finding any info, books or articles or anything, about actually doing
it yourself.

And even if I did go the lodge route, there's a bewildering array to
choose from.

Anyone have any advice?!

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Best, Tim
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Hi Dave,

I tried googling that sort of info, and was surprised to find that I
couldn't find anything. In a way, that makes it all the more
tempting, you know? Still, I was hoping for some kind of info.

I saw that there was an article written back in 2001, in Fish and Fly
Magazine, which would be a bit dated... but regardless, the back
issues of that issue have unfortunately sold out.

DIY is definitely my preference. But if it's impossible: does anyone
have any suggestions for outfitters or lodges?

(I'll have to DIY Alaska, one of these years, too. But over Xmas
break, I'd think.)

Old November 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
Hi Dave,

I tried googling that sort of info, and was surprised to find that I
couldn't find anything. In a way, that makes it all the more
tempting, you know? Still, I was hoping for some kind of info.

I saw that there was an article written back in 2001, in Fish and Fly
Magazine, which would be a bit dated... but regardless, the back
issues of that issue have unfortunately sold out.

DIY is definitely my preference. But if it's impossible: does anyone
have any suggestions for outfitters or lodges?

(I'll have to DIY Alaska, one of these years, too. But over Xmas
break, I'd think.)

Here's a longshot;
Jack Trout and his Patagonia/Chile Guiding service.
You'll have to check his schedules, or call him.
I think he said he heads for Chile about the time you're asking for.
http://www.jacktrout.com/chile.html
-tom

Old November 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Adams

On Nov 29, 3:44 pm, wrote:
Does anyone have any idea where I might find information about do-it-
yourself fly fishing in Argentina / Chile / Patagonia?

I'm trying to book a last minute fly fishing adventure for over the
Xmas break. I have money, but not a ton of it, and I don't really
like going out with guides anyway, and have zero need for fancy
lodges, so I'd love to do it myself... but so far I've had trouble
finding any info, books or articles or anything, about actually doing
it yourself.

And even if I did go the lodge route, there's a bewildering array to
choose from.

Anyone have any advice?!

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Best, Tim

We have a local guide who takes clients to Chile. Try www.marlablair.com.
I doubt you will have any success in organizing a trip without a guide/
outfitter.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Nov 30, 12:50 pm, George Adams wrote:
On Nov 29, 3:44 pm, wrote:

Does anyone have any idea where I might find information about do-it-
yourself fly fishing in Argentina / Chile / Patagonia?

I'm trying to book a last minute fly fishing adventure for over the
Xmas break. I have money, but not a ton of it, and I don't really
like going out with guides anyway, and have zero need for fancy
lodges, so I'd love to do it myself... but so far I've had trouble
finding any info, books or articles or anything, about actually doing
it yourself.

And even if I did go the lodge route, there's a bewildering array to
choose from.

Anyone have any advice?!

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts!

Best, Tim

We have a local guide who takes clients to Chile. Trywww.marlablair.com.
I doubt you will have any success in organizing a trip without a guide/
outfitter.- Hide quoted text -

One of the key problems with a DIY trip is that much of the land down
there is under private ownership and folks rent large stretches of
water for fishing rights. You can easily get in mucho trouble just my
going through a gate.
Frank Reid

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

try a google on camping national parks argentina trout
Evidently, within their parks, there are bunches places to go and
fish.
Frank Reid

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:14:45 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid
wrote:

You can easily get in mucho trouble just my
going through a gate.

If you can even *get* to the gate.