Best Scent

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

Default Best Scent

We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joshuall" wrote in message
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

Hey Josh,

I don't place a large value on scents. If a lure comes with scent, great,
otherwise, I rarely use scents. Actually never now that I think of it.

And somehow I usually manage to catch fish......
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Joshuall" wrote in message
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

If I use a scent I prefer one that is grease based so it sticks to the bait
for a long time. Smelly Jelly, Pro Cure, Mega Strike, etc...

I honestly do not believe that a scent makes much difference in the number
of strikes you get, but I think it sometimes makes a difference in how long
a fish hold onto the bait.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old December 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Joshuall wrote:
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

I avoid baits with cooked in scent and never add any scent or
"attractant" of any kind to a bait. In recent years, I had to cave in
and accept salted baits, just because so many otherwise 'interesting'
baits came with it. But I really couldn't care less if a bait has salt,
and for flipping in heavy veggies, I'd prefer it doesn't, because it
just makes the bait that much more fragile.

IMHO, scent products are nothing but a crutch. A placebo crutch at that.
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Joshuall wrote:
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

Say what you want,, but I have tested scents, same lures, same action ,
same time, in front of the same fish.

MEGA STRIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hands down, nothing touches it, three to one catch rates, and you can
make 25 cast before reapplying it

Click the link at the bottom of my home page
http://ezknot.com
I get nothing from those guys,, just love their product

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Sprattoo

On Dec 4, 8:22 pm, Rodney Long wrote:
Joshuall wrote:
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

Say what you want,, but I have tested scents, same lures, same action ,
same time, in front of the same fish.

MEGA STRIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hands down, nothing touches it, three to one catch rates, and you can
make 25 cast before reapplying it

Click the link at the bottom of my home pagehttp://ezknot.com
I get nothing from those guys,, just love their product

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
See lure video you won't believehttp://ezknot.com/videos.html

I don't recall using many - if any scents when I went fresh water bass
fishing... but when we fish stripers (at night especially) I almost
always turn to -Lunker Lotion- and I use the Bloodworm scent. It could
be that at night the Stripers start relying less on their eyes, and
more on lateral line vibrations and scent.
They make a TON of different scents. Day time fishing never seemed to
pull any more strikes for us, but we tried one time 2 lines with LL
and two without. Almost twice the hits on the scented lines. It also
seemed to work pretty good with Sand Sharks when we would go out to
try to jig them up.

This was no scientific study, or controlled experiment... mind you
they could have been attracted to the scent of Captain morgans on the
beach.

Lloyd M
http://www.mainetackle.com
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SHRED

Joshuall wrote:
We've used Bang in the Shad and Crawfish scents for several years. Are
wondering what the rest of the group uses/recommends and why. Looking
forward to tyring something new. As ususal Thanks guys and gals.

This stuff stays on for a while and I like it.
I goop my Fat Ikas up with this to great success.

http://www.edgefishing.com/html/hot_sauce.html

---
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

Thanks for the replies to date guys. I agree with Bob. I'm not at all
convinced that fish are attracted to "scent", but I do think it makes them
hold onto some plastics longer. I think the whole power pro line has more
than proved that.

And I don't think using a scent is a "crutch" anymore than it is for some
who decide to use "red hooks, line or underwear. It's a preference for those
who believe it works, not a detractor of ability as Rich suggest.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

"RichZ" wrote in message

IMHO, scent products are nothing but a crutch. A placebo crutch at that.

Some years ago my catches on spinnerbaits went into extremely sharp decline.
I theorized that there was an odor repelling the bass and I was right. I
tried some Baitmate crawfish and things improved sharply starting on day 1.
I never learned what the odor was and I also learned that scents (positive
or negative) permeate skirt material and stay for an extremely long time.

Otherwise, except to mask negative odors, I don't think that scents do a
whole lot.

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Marty wrote:
"RichZ" wrote in message

IMHO, scent products are nothing but a crutch. A placebo crutch at that.

Some years ago my catches on spinnerbaits went into extremely sharp decline.
I theorized that there was an odor repelling the bass and I was right. I
tried some Baitmate crawfish and things improved sharply starting on day 1.
I never learned what the odor was and I also learned that scents (positive
or negative) permeate skirt material and stay for an extremely long time.

Otherwise, except to mask negative odors, I don't think that scents do a
whole lot.

Well,, since I have the only rig in the world that takes out all
variables "except" scent,, I can tell you it makes a major difference.

That difference is not whether they would not eat the lure anyway, but
they "prefer" lures with scent, and some scents are much better than others.

I take two identical lures one with scent, one without, or two different
scents, one on each lure, and fish those two lures with "identical
action" in front of the same fish, at the "same time". I even change
which lure is fished atop the other, so that variable is removed. It's
like taking two bowls of dog food in front of the same dog and letting
them choose, the dog chooses what he prefers, not saying he would not
eat the other, if the one he choose was not there.

Since there are so many variables in fishing, even between fishermen
working the same lure, at the same time. My Wiggle rig is the only thing
that can take everything else out of the equation, except scent. it is
the only method that can actually do a real test, all other double rigs
the lures do not have the "very" same action, it is slightly different
on every double lure rig I have tried, maybe someone else has a way to
rig one where they are the same, I have so far, never been able to.