fly fishing paradise/ the true college experience

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flyI4

Default fly fishing paradise/ the true college experience

As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision. My first
semester at college was in the wilderness of Montana fishing every
trout stream within the state. I caught plenty of fish and a few that I
will never forget. But lets not forget the other part of college, known
as the social life. Socially finding a girl under the 200lb mark was
difficult and being jersey born im sure most of you can relate to the
fact that we have some relatively high standards. My decision then led
to me going to the University of Arizona where the phrase "there are
plenty of fish in the sea" takes on new meaning although none of these
fish are the type to inhabit our beloved fresh water streams ,but
instead the So Cal region of wealth and fashion.
So as I've made my decision to have the entire college
experience instead of one that consisted of elk and rainbows, what
would you choose? Do you go for a land of wild trout or the land of
beautiful women? for me personally at the age of 20 I feel I've fished
several rivers in the country worth fishing (Green, Provo, Bozeman
area, Bighorn, Henry's fork, Snake, yellowstone,white
river,poconos,catskills, and hopefully many more to come. Lets hear
your choice? Trout or tail?(im sure most of you guys will be able to
translate) And lets not forget that I have may through august to fish
the delaware as much as I want to sooth my addiction for the season.

--
flyI4
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"flyI4" wrote in message

As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision. My first
[chasing tail or fish }

Indian Joe relates--think I remember chasing "tail" during school days with
some success, but finally got caught by one .
Then did family thing [ work and kids} for many years while enjoying racing
small sailboats.Then got into fly fishing when I was almost to old to enjoy
it. Crawling from rock to rock rather than jumping and tiring out after a
half day outing certainly limits the enjoyment involved.
My advise is to enjoy all things while you are young--there may be some
truth to that old saying "you are only as old as you feel " but when you
wake up more days feeling 96 rather than 26 your ability and desire to
chase tail or trout is not a decision you ponder.
By the way - how are you doing accademmly ?

Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:53:31 -0400, flyI4
wrote:

Socially finding a girl under the 200lb mark was
difficult and being jersey born im sure most of you can relate to the
fact that we have some relatively high standards.

Reminds me of an old joke:

What's the difference between girls and trash in NJ?

The trash gets picked up.

ASU, not the Arizona one. Great school located within some fine
fishing spots, and lots of good lookin' women (my niece among them)
and good lookin' guys (my nephew among them) .

Any school in central Maine. I know a couple of young ladies that
graduated from UM and they are good lookin' and pretty good fly
fishers. Some of the best fly fishing in the east is located within
an hour of UM Farmington, Bates, Colby.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

University of Montana Bozeman. Best of both worlds. Rich, pretty
girls and great fly fishing. Next up I would say Penn State. Bit
bigger, so more chance of landing something really pretty. And I've
heard the women aren't half bad.
Frank Reid
(who had to suffer through BC and BU. Thats Bellevue College and
later Bellevue University to those unedumakated easterners)

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve Cain

On Sep 3, 6:53 am, flyI4 wrote:
[...]

Take a trip this week to the University of Delaware. You will be
amazed at what you see. Since college, I've done renovation and repair
work on some other east coast colleges, and nothing compares to UD.
UPenn, Villanova, Yale, UMBC, Hopkins, Princeton - they aren't in the
same league. When I was there as a young buck, it was difficult to
concentrate on science homework, so I switched to an English major.

Note that if you live on campus at the Towers, you'll have a five
minute walk to the White Clay Creek and a five minute walk to the Deer
Park Tavern. Also note that you are a brief drive from the spring
creeks of Chester, Lancaster and York counties, the Susquehanna
itself, the Delaware and the small streams of Northern New Castle
County. I fished metaphorically in college rather than literally, so I
missed the local streams and had to make up for it later.

Steve

Old September 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mr rapidan

On Sep 3, 6:53 am, flyI4 wrote:
As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision. My first

Reminds me of that old joke about the old bull and the young bull on
top of the hill. The two bulls are up on that hill, chewing the
grass, looking down at a field of cows. The young bull says, "let's
run down this hill and **** one of those cows!" The old bull looks at
him and replies, "let's walk down this hill and **** *all* those
cows."

Old September 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"flyI4" wrote in message

[...]

Stick with Montana... Maybe you will be lucky enough to find a gal that
enjoys flyfishing as much as you do... When the family comes, you won't have
any trouble convincing your bride to go camping/flyfishing for your
vacation. Worked for me second time around.

I have a buddy that just went through a horrible divorce. His X couldn't
understand why anyone would want to go stand in a river in the middle of
nowhere and try to catch a stupid fish... Don't suppose she ever will
either.

HTH,
JT

Old September 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

flyI4 wrote in
:

As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision.

Depends on what you want to do with your life, balanced out with what you
want to do with the next few years.

Personally, I feel too many transfers won't look good at all to recruiters
or admissions committees.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 3 Sep, 12:53, flyI4 wrote:
As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision.

I thought quite a lot about that. You are lucky to have a choice. I
still don´t know what I would choose. I suppose the sensible thing
would be to work hard, and hopefully, as a result, eventually get
into a position to be able to do the things you want. On the other
hand, nobody can take away wonderful memories. If you are in a
position to do what you want, then it is probably best to simply do
it. Often, the main problem is knowing what you want. Getting what you
think you want is invariably an anticlimax.

Were I, or had I ever been, in such an enviable position, at any age,
then I would probably have tried to strike a balance with what I loved
to do, and what I was bound to do. Unfortunately, many things are
dictated by circumstance.

Probably the main thing is to avoid doing things you might regret.
Unfortunately, it is not always clear what one might regret, before
one actually does it.

A thousand beautiful women are more or less useless, except as
pleasant decoration. One can be considerably more than sufficient, but
it has to be the right one. There are only really two major things
which govern people´s lives, their will, and their wherewithal.One is
not a lot of use without the other, although one may compensate to
some extent for the lack of either. The world may be your oyster, but
you are still obliged to open a lot of ugly, hard, maybe even
dangerous, shells, and chew a lot of sandy, gristly, and largely
tasteless shellfish, before you find a pearl.

There are also many things which you can only fully enjoy when you are
young and carefree.

Not advice, merely theoretical musings...............

TL
MC

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
vincent norris

flyI4 wrote:
As a 20 year old I've been faced with a very hard decision. My first
semester at college was in the wilderness of Montana fishing every
trout stream within the state......

Apparently you didn't attend many English composition classes.

vince