Dandruff flies

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

Default Dandruff flies

On Nov 23, 3:55*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:40*pm, Giles wrote:

On Nov 23, 3:16*pm, george9219 wrote:

On Nov 22, 10:18*pm, Giles wrote:

On Nov 22, 9:00*pm, george9219 wrote:

A stray fiber from hackle or cdc in the wrong place will give
you fits trying to thread the fine tippet through the eye.

Not to mention head cement, which makes penetration (however slight)
problematic.....to say the least.

giles
hm.....come to think of it, not all that bad a rape defense.

I never use head cement on dry flies, especially the tiny ones.

Quite a few others here have said the same. *Personally, I've never
been able to master the knack of tying heads that would not unravel
without cement.

giles

http://books.google.com/books?id=Moe...pg=PA62&dq=pin...

This was the stuff (the beeswax, rosin and castor oil mix) recommended
by Mark Van Patten on the Tying Bench. *Don't use head cement/Sally
Hansens anymore. *This stuff rubbed on the thread before you whip
finish the fly seems to do the trick. *Secondarily, it doesn't clog up
the eye of the fly nor does it interfere with the hackle. *Love the
stuff.
Frank Reid

I haven't done much fly tying in the past three or four years, and the
next year promises virtually none. After that, who knows. You may
one day see a thread asking hey, what was that replacement for head
cement?

Thanks, Frank.

giles
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Nov 22, 10:18*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

giles- Hide quoted text -

You did, however, tie up a nice passel of Pass Lakes that got me
through August in the Driftless Area. And I thank you for that.
Frank Reid
(who is tying up a bunch of size 26 Pass Lakes, not that anyone would
ever notice. Really, they look like friggen belly button lint. You
wouldn't even see them. I''ve picked more stuff off my sweater. How
the hell does a fish see these things amoung all the other crap
floating down the stream? What the hell have I gotten myself into?
I''m trying to do stacked-wing salmon flies on #28 hooks. I'm
planning a hunting mission to Sierra Vista to get some humming bird
skins. I'm gonna be sharing a cell with Ed Rist by Xmas.)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

On Nov 23, 5:19*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

You did, however, tie up a nice passel of Pass Lakes that got me
through August in the Driftless Area. *And I thank you for that.

De nada.

Frank Reid
(who is tying up a bunch of size 26 Pass Lakes, not that anyone would
ever notice. *Really, they look like friggen belly button lint. *You
wouldn't even see them. I''ve picked more stuff off my sweater. *How
the hell does a fish see these things amoung all the other crap
floating down the stream? *What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Never tied one smaller than a 16 myself. Given that the Pass Lake
looks like nothing that has ever live in, on, or near a lake or stream
anywhere in North America (as far as I've been able to determine), the
point of the exercise has never been to match a hatch, but rather to
offer up something like the piscine equivalent of a Big Mac; something
that may or may not be particularly good, but might as well try it.
Thus, bigger is better.....up to a certain point.....never did much
good with 'em bigger than a 10 either. 12s and especially 14s are
just right.* White Castle, too small. 2 lb. behemoths offered by
Joebob's bar and grill, too big. Big Mac......just right!

I''m trying to do stacked-wing salmon flies on #28 hooks.

I'd go for the short stack in that case. With real maple syrup,
please.

I'm
planning a hunting mission to Sierra Vista to get some humming bird
skins.

Probably better off tying the whole bird to a big hook and hunting for
big browns.

I'm gonna be sharing a cell with Ed Rist by Xmas.)

Should have plenty of time to tie up a good supply for next season.

giles
*who once hooked (and lost his bug to) a trout in a pool below the
bridge where he parked somewhere on the pigeon.....or maybe it was the
onion.....in sheboygan county, on his first cast. worked downstream
and then back up for an hour or so. one last cast, a size 14 pass
lake, just like the one he lost on that first cast. fish took the
bug. a minute later the fish was in hand. removed the bug from its
lip. also removed the one it stole an hour earlier.
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

Best books for dandruff flies? As I mentioned, I'm using Ed Engle's
book "Tying Small Flies." Any others you like?
Frank Reid
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
george9219

On Nov 22, 10:18*pm, Giles wrote:

On Nov 22, 9:00*pm, george9219 wrote:

A stray fiber from hackle or cdc in the wrong place will give
you fits trying to thread the fine tippet through the eye.

Not to mention head cement, which makes penetration (however slight)
problematic.....to say the least.

giles
hm.....come to think of it, not all that bad a rape defense.

I never use head cement on dry flies, especially the tiny ones.

Quite a few others here have said the same. *Personally, I've never
been able to master the knack of tying heads that would not unravel
without cement.

giles

Double whip finish on the larger ones, single (5 turns) on the midges.
The larger ones hold together forever, and, generally, the midges are
destroyed before the head unravels.
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
george9219

On Nov 23, 8:46*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Best books for dandruff flies? *As I mentioned, I'm using Ed Engle's
book "Tying Small Flies." *Any others you like?
Frank Reid

Tiemco #2488

Old November 24th, 2010, 03:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

all Flies." *Any others you like?
Frank Reid

Tiemco #2488

the TMC 2488H (heavy) is good for tiny nymphs

the TMC 206BL is very good for small drys, IMHO ... but I mostly use
TMC 100BL 'cause I can get them easy

Book specifically for tiny weenies? got me, sorry Only recent one
( older tiny weenie books thought an 18 was tiny ) I know of is "Midge
Magic" .... if you can say "string midge" you have read it G ( but
the main material suggested ... DMC embroidery yarn .... IS pretty
good stuff and available in about 1/2 zillion colors )

Old November 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Nov 23, 9:55*pm, Larry L wrote:
all Flies." *Any others you like?

Frank Reid

Tiemco #2488

the TMC 2488H (heavy) is good for tiny nymphs

the TMC 206BL is very good for small drys, IMHO ... but I mostly use
TMC 100BL * 'cause I can get them easy

Book specifically for tiny weenies? * got me, sorry * *Only recent one
( older tiny weenie books thought an 18 was tiny ) I know of is "Midge
Magic" * .... if you can say "string midge" you have read it G ( but
the main material suggested ... DMC embroidery yarn .... IS pretty
good stuff and available in about 1/2 zillion colors )

And my bride has every single color but no longer does embroidery.
Hmmm....
Frank Reid
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Robert from Oz

DMC embroidery yarn .... IS pretty
good stuff and available in about 1/2 zillion colors )

And my bride has every single color but no longer does embroidery.
Hmmm....
Frank Reid

You're brave Frank!

Rob.