And, speaking of the weather.....

Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default And, speaking of the weather.....

Sunny here today.....but pretty cold.....and windy.

Meanwhile, they closed Milwaukee.....and Chicago.

That sorta doesn't happen.

Becky shovelled through ten foot drifts in Burlington this
morning.....and afternoon.....and early evening.

Snow, cold, wind, thunder, lightning.....and then there's floods
promised for the spring.

g.
not as exciting as the new spring lineup from lamson......or
palin.....perhaps, but.....
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Feb 2, 8:58*pm, Giles wrote:

Meanwhile, they closed Milwaukee.....and Chicago.

That sorta doesn't happen.

Lots of that going around...we're closed for the second day in a row,
it was -7 on my back porch before sunrise today. That sorta doesn't
happen 'round here, and infrastructure isn't built to handle it.
Almost everything is closed, mostly because the electric company
begged everyone: even without most businesses open, they've been doing
rolling brownouts as two plants are offline due to problems with the
cold (apparently this is a problem all across Texas; we get our power
from El Paso Electric).

Weather like this helps us put ourselves in proper perspective:

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/20...terialist-ahs/

Take care,

Jon.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 3, 9:01*am, Jonathan Cook wrote:
On Feb 2, 8:58*pm, Giles wrote:

Meanwhile, they closed Milwaukee.....and Chicago.

That sorta doesn't happen.

Lots of that going around...

So we've heard.

we're closed for the second day in a row,

Becky just got the same deal. Of course, her bill comes due sometime
in late May or early June....not exactly the best time of year to be
riding herd on a bunch of incipient pubescents.

it was -7 on my back porch before sunrise today. That sorta doesn't
happen 'round here, and infrastructure isn't built to handle it.

-15 here. Not unusual.

But temperatures at which human flesh freezes while its owner is
momentarily distracted is always noteworthy. And -7 abetted by high
relative humidity and/or wind will do nicely enough.

Almost everything is closed, mostly because the electric company
begged everyone: even without most businesses open, they've been doing
rolling brownouts as two plants are offline due to problems with the
cold (apparently this is a problem all across Texas; we get our power
from El Paso Electric).

Absolutely NOTHING! closed here in coulee country. The strom missed
us entirely, All we got was some relatively low temperatures and some
fairly stiff breezes. Exactly zero new snow while everyone else was
getting slammed. However, we got six inches a day earlier. Made for
some pretty impressive drifting.

Having trouble seeing the connection between wintry weather and
brownouts.....unless everyone heats with electricity. Or, what, coal,
oil, natural gas and plutonium don't burn well at low temperatures
south of 40 degrees north lat.?

Weather like this helps us put ourselves in proper perspective:

A momentary lapse. We get over it.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/20...ogs-and-materi...

VERY nice!

Take care,

Jon.

We will. Uh.....well, we would.....if we could.

giles
who, given a choice between 95 and -10.....both at high
humidity.....would offer a cheerful kiss my ass to either or
both.....um, except for their narrative value.....of course.

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 2/3/2011 10:01 AM, Jonathan Cook wrote:
On Feb 2, 8:58 pm, wrote:

Meanwhile, they closed Milwaukee.....and Chicago.

That sorta doesn't happen.

Lots of that going around...we're closed for the second day in a row,
it was -7 on my back porch before sunrise today. That sorta doesn't
happen 'round here, and infrastructure isn't built to handle it.
Almost everything is closed, mostly because the electric company
begged everyone: even without most businesses open, they've been doing
rolling brownouts as two plants are offline due to problems with the
cold (apparently this is a problem all across Texas; we get our power
from El Paso Electric).

Weather like this helps us put ourselves in proper perspective:

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/20...terialist-ahs/

Take care,

Jon.

good reads (peters, merton)...and, thanks for that. a freshening i needed.

jeff