Grass Hopper time

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Grass Hopper time

I was mowing the lawn today and noticed a grasshopper, about 2" long,
already. It was still bright green, but I've never seen one this
early in the year

..... the times they are a changin' .... weird weather everywhere, it
seems

I bobber fished an hour or less each of the last couple days .... with
very little success, although I didn't try real hard. Mainly I was
just there to get out for a few minutes.

Here are a couple different sections of the local "crick" ( which
has much more water going down it than it looks and even at low flows
is a challenge to wade, in places, .... for an old fart like me )

http://www.kimshew.com/stanrif.jpg

http://www.kimshew.com/stangood.jpg
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message
I was mowing the lawn today and noticed a grasshopper, about 2" long,
already. It was still bright green, but I've never seen one this
early in the year

.... the times they are a changin' .... weird weather everywhere, it
seems

I bobber fished an hour or less each of the last couple days .... with
very little success, although I didn't try real hard. Mainly I was
just there to get out for a few minutes.

Here are a couple different sections of the local "crick" ( which
has much more water going down it than it looks and even at low flows
is a challenge to wade, in places, .... for an old fart like me )

http://www.kimshew.com/stanrif.jpg

http://www.kimshew.com/stangood.jpg

Nice, enjoyed the pictures.

Appears to be running fairly high or is that normal flow?

JT

Old February 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Feb 7, 8:48*am, "JT" wrote:

Appears to be running fairly high or is that normal flow?

JT

I thought I had removed and replaced this post .... ah well

No, on the contrary, now is about as low as it gets, it comes way up
( dam controlled, of course) in irrigation season.
The main reason I don't fish it more is access .... THE most common
plant along the river is berry vines, the banks are lined with them
almost everywhere, and even the easiest places to wade stress my old
man with bum legs and poor balance abilities, it whips right along
with considerable force( reminds me of the Yellowstone, much stronger
than it 'looks') ... so after you poke a bunch of holes in your
waders forcing a way through the berries you can completely fill them
in an effort to drown by slipping and falling in

I once waded down stream for a good distance only to find out I was
simply incapable of going back up against the current, and it had
gotten too deep to go down more ..... must have punched my bleeding,
ripped up, way through 30 yards of berry vines getting out ... still
have nitemares G

Larry ( who has a 'dedicated' pair of Dan Bailey waders, for this
place ...fwiw, they have held up amazingly well )