Second hand store bamboo rods

Old August 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DerekO

Default Second hand store bamboo rods

I recently ran across a bamboo rod in a second hand store. Can anyone
tell me if they are still good? It seemed to have some good action.
I was just unsure of buying it, using it and having it break. Anyone
with any experience?
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:46:41 -0700 (PDT), DerekO
wrote:

I recently ran across a bamboo rod in a second hand store. Can anyone
tell me if they are still good? It seemed to have some good action.
I was just unsure of buying it, using it and having it break. Anyone
with any experience?

Can't help you with that, but maybe you can answer a question for me. I
ran across a vehicle for sale and I am thinking about buying something
to use for hauling hay, feed, and other ag type stuff, including big,
heavy trailers. Would the vehicle I found be a good deal for me?

HTH,
....oh, yeah - I also found a hunk of fishing line - how long is it...?
Old August 25th, 2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote:

I recently ran across a bamboo rod in a second hand store. Can anyone
tell me if they are still good? It seemed to have some good action.
I was just unsure of buying it, using it and having it break. Anyone
with any experience?

Can't help you with that, but maybe you can answer a question for me. I
ran across a vehicle for sale and I am thinking about buying something
to use for hauling hay, feed, and other ag type stuff, including big,
heavy trailers. Would the vehicle I found be a good deal for me?

HTH,
...oh, yeah - I also found a hunk of fishing line - how long is it...?

Is genius something that can be taught?.....something that can be
learned?.....or does one just wake up some fine morning and find that it has
manifested itself in the dark night, unlooked for and unwelcome, and then
spend the rest of his life monstrously burdened by it?

Wolfgang

Old August 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Ahhh, Mr. Wolfgang *is* still with us (universal "us," of course).
I've been wondering, but wasn't sure I wanted to ask.
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Michael[_3_]

On Aug 25, 11:46*am, DerekO wrote:
I recently ran across a bamboo rod in a second hand store. *Can anyone
tell me if they are still good? *It seemed to have some good action.
I was just unsure of buying it, using it and having it break. *Anyone
with any experience?

Despite the smart-aleck comments you've received, the answer is
probably yes. If you're talking about the kind of second hand store
where the rod is priced at under five dollars or five pounds, or five
Euros, depending on your location, even if it does break, you're not
out very much. If you tested it and it seems to have good action, it's
worth trying to fish with it, or even taking it to a dealer of some
sort to see if it's an antique. Buy it, treasure it, brag about it,
throw it in the face of these smarties.
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message
On Aug 25, 3:08 pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Ahhh, Mr. Wolfgang *is* still with us (universal "us," of course).
I've been wondering, but wasn't sure I wanted to ask.

So long as I am needed, I shall never forsake you.

Wolfgang
which, if you think about it, is as good an excuse for immortality as any.

Old August 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 25-Aug-2008, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Is genius something that can be taught?.....something that can be
learned?.....or does one just wake up some fine morning and find that it
has
manifested itself in the dark night, unlooked for and unwelcome, and then
spend the rest of his life monstrously burdened by it?

Wolfgang

What a pompous ass
I am sure that his peers as a child use to beat his head in.

Poor little Wolfgang w the stupid name and w a small peenie
Poor wolfie as he would run to his mama cause all his friends as a kid
would make fun of him and beat him up

What a ****ed up jerk!

Fred
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Fred" wrote in message

On 25-Aug-2008, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Is genius something that can be taught?.....something that can be
learned?.....or does one just wake up some fine morning and find that it
has
manifested itself in the dark night, unlooked for and unwelcome, and then
spend the rest of his life monstrously burdened by it?

Wolfgang

What a pompous ass
I am sure that his peers as a child use to beat his head in.

Poor little Wolfgang w the stupid name and w a small peenie
Poor wolfie as he would run to his mama cause all his friends as a kid
would make fun of him and beat him up

What a ****ed up jerk!

O.k., so it can be taught and it can be learned.

Well, the matter of succession has always weighed heavy on the heads that
wear the crowns. How comforting it must be to the kennies, mikie, the
davies, stevie, the predator......and dicklet......that the heir apparent is
on the scene and ready, when circumstances shall dictate, to ascend the
throne.

Wolfgang
who, if he had only known at the time what a horror his childhood was, would
have skipped it altogether.

Old August 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Aug 26, 6:11*pm, "Wolfgang" wrote:

Wolfgang
who, if he had only known at the time what a horror his childhood was, would
have skipped it altogether.

Indeed, probably comes from showing one too many your "peenie".

As for genius, regardless of how or why it may occur, it is most
unlikely that you will find it among this particular motley crew of
socially dysfunctional misfits.

Never mind, at least I donīt think your name is funny. Just imagine
the problems you might have had if you had been called Ibrahim, or
Hussein, or Ali.

On the other hand, you might then have been nominated for president of
something or other. Wouldnīt stop the infidel dogs howling
incoherently at you, but you could at least laugh at them with some
conviction?

Tending to the theory that a certain facility with a language, either
your own or someone elseīs, indicates at least a modicum of
intelligence, one is then bound to wonder why somebody who obviously
possesses such would bother even attempting to communicate in any
meaningful way with those who obviously do not.

With regard to the original question about bamboo rods. You might be
lucky and find a rod in a second hand shop rod which will be OK to
fish with, and you might even be incredibly lucky and find a very good
one, but this is most unlikely.

You can buy pretty good bamboo fishing rods and blanks for not too
much money;

http://www.norman-agutters.com/blanks.htm

this is an English supplier, but there are doubtless similar suppliers
in the USA. Custom built hand made blanks from well known makers will
be a lot more expensive usually. Although only real classics of
certain types and from certain makers are worth a lot of money to
various people.

Buying practically anything you donīt know much about form a second
hand store or similar, is always a game of chance. You might be lucky,
you might not.

If you want a good reliable fishing rod, then it is probably best to
avoid such. If you just want to play around with a bamboo rod, and it
doesnīt cost much, then it might be worth your while. Unfortunately,
you are the only one who can determine that. It is as well to remember
that even if you get the rod, you still have to find line to use on
it, and you have no idea how it will behave when fishing.

Some bamboo rods will be brittle with age or due to incorrect storage,
the strips may be separating, some sections may be bent or otherwise
damaged. All problems which are not easy to fix, and almost certainly
not worth the bother in the first place on cheap rods.

As others have pointed out, if you like it, and it looks alright, then
your only real option apart form just forgetting it, is to buy it and
fish it, all you have to lose is the cost of the rod.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Aug 26, 1:08*pm, wrote:

but this is most unlikely.

In 1996 I picked up a Garrison rod and in 2007 picked up an original
Edwards Quadrate, both at second hand stores. Ya just got to know what
you're looking for.