scroll down

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default scroll down

On Jan 31, 3:21*pm, Giles wrote:
On Jan 31, 4:13*pm, DaveS wrote:

On Jan 28, 5:21*pm, flebow wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:47:42 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:34 pm, "JT" wrote:
wrote in message

Is there a way to delete a person? I don't mean killfile. I mean
delete.

No idea, however if you figure it our please let me know. I'm thinking we
may want to delete the same person.

JT

This is just a hypothetical question. I'm not naming names.

Moron.

I useta know some guyz from Joisey but no mo'
If you find someone I will chip in a few $$$

Imbecile

Now now. I ustobee fum Jersey and any implication that organized crime
would normally be available for retail eliminations etc is
inconsistent with my recollections. The "families" were pretty
selective, for example only one person from my entire large HS class
was ever made a "made man" as far as I know. They worked more on fear
and need than on violence. And just because one member of a family was
mob, did not mean that others in the extended family were mob, and I
knew kids of probable mob families who went to junior college with me
and went on to more or less legit lives. The idea that they just go
around whacking average civilian people is Hollywood BS.

Smaller arrangements, say breaking an arm, fingers, a leg, but not
heads, were available in our rough circle at retail by independent
punk enterprise (mostly Irish) at affordable levels. Its kinda like
the 5 cent beer of our grandpas, but 45 years ago the price per limb
was about $35-$50, cash in advance. . . . $100 bucks more if you
wanted a cop to do it, but then the risk was ongoing blackmail.

Wellllll......

O.k., so, a couplea guidos from sout fillie showin' up on da doorstep
wit sawed offs blazin' is like WAY to retro?.....and it's all just a
myth, anyway, right? * O.k. *I'll take your word for it.....I mean,
when have you ever lied to your old goomba.....ainna? *And, yeah, it's
a bit of a relief.

But this business of SOSF at $35-$50 a pop (so to speak) is still a
bit worrisome. *Hell, a syndicate of eight to twenty-three or so
bubbas and sparkies could easily pool their resources and come up with
enough to make a boy wish he'd kept up with the TAE Bo
payments. * * * *

Besides, all of your information (while held in high
esteem.....naturally) might possibly (I'm just saying) be a bit dated
by now.....what with all that family history being out east and the
aggrieved parties of the first parts in this particular instance being
decidedly west of the Alleghennies and all.

And a boy ain't as.....um.....spry (yeah, that's the term!) as maybe
he once was.....maybe. *Hell, I've been to the "West". *I've seen a
high school girl's volley ball team. *And in today's troubled economic
climate.....well.....I'm just saying.

A bus ride east.....spike a few balls.....and back home again. *Who
even knew you were gone....,.right? * * *

I once watched 2 "detectives" offer my old man, Bosco, a small but
lucrative painting contract in return for cooling his campaign against
our local Republican mayor/trucking magnate who had zoned most of our
township for warehouses. This "Republican" had the tacit franchise to
run our township from the County Democratic Big Boss, Dave Wilence
(sp?) out of Perth Amboy.

Bosco had organized a bunch of younger Korea vets and barflys from our
part of hell to fight the mayor. My old man told the cops to shove it
and consequently, they screwed with us for years after until one of
the old man's Italian friends made them stop it. Right and wrong could
get pretty complex in Jersey in those days.

Dave

Your old man was called "Bosco"?!

goddamn

COOL! * * * * *

giles
right and wrong ain't complex......negotiation is.- Hide quoted text -

It is a family nickname. It means young boy in Italian (we thought).
We were not the right ethnicity and so could never be proper "family."
Thankgoodness.

I guess Ive never told my "Diamond Jim's laborer day" story here. Or
my "Dumbassed criminals I have known" story. And I won't. All as true
as an old memory can make them. ;+))

All was not crooked in the Jersey of my youth, but enough was to nudge
me West.

Dave
Ill have one of those "Right or Wrong" cocktails like he had. Not too
complex please.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jan 31, 8:48*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Jan 31, 3:21*pm, Giles wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:34 pm, "JT" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

It's a family friendly drink.....I thought.

We were not the right ethnicity

De nada.

No one is.

You get used to it.....or not.....as the case may be.

and so could never be proper "family."
Thankgoodness.

Probably (or, possibly, at any rate) a blessing. In either case, it
costs nothing to count it as such.

I guess Ive never told my "Diamond Jim's laborer day" story here. Or
my "Dumbassed criminals I have known" story.

Not that I recall.

And I won't.

Damned shame.

Mark Twain (who'da thunk HIS name would be invoked here, ainna?) said
much the same thing in his autobiography, the latest edition of which
(or a portion thereof, at any rate) is currently available both in
hard copy and in (a nearly unreadable) downloadable version. He said,
at some great length and numerous times, that an honest autobiography
is, for reasons we need not go into just at the moment, literally
impossible. Well, yeah, if one gives a **** about public opinion and
suchlike trivia.*

All as true
as an old memory can make them. ;+))

Truth is stranger than friction, they say. I wouldn't know......seems
like a slippery slope either way to me.

All was not crooked in the Jersey of my youth,

Actually, all WAS crooked in the Jersey of your youth.....and still
is.

but enough was to nudge me West.

where things are no different. Only the legends change.

Dave
Ill have one of those "Right or Wrong" cocktails like he had. Not too
complex please.

Shaken or stirred?.....like it makes a ****in' difference.

giles
bartender to the world.
*and, yes, there were (and are) other reasons.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:34 pm, "JT" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Did you live nar Trenton? and if so do you remember what it says on
the Trenton Bridge?

Fres
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Feb 1, 10:42*pm, flebow wrote:

Did you live nar Trenton? and if so do you remember what it says on
the Trenton Bridge?

Fres- Hide quoted text -

I lived between New Brunswick and Heightstown, with the Pennsy
mainline thru the woods and a few fields. From the mainline of the
Pennsy . . . "What Trenton makes, the world takes." Or in
Jerseyese. . . "you got a problem wit dat?" Or is that the State
motto? I forget sometimes as it has been close to 50 years.

My relatives still back there take great offense at stuff like "Jersey
Shore" and that Jersey dress store TV show. And continuing immigration
has moderated some things. But there has always been this defensive/
chip on your shoulder thing and no reluctance in getting the first
whack in at the first sign of threat. Kind of a stereotype but with
just enough truth in it to . . . .

As usual, TV picks up on the extremes. But they do sell tee shirts at
Newark airport which say, "New Jersey, the beatings will continue
until moral improves." Braggadocio is evident, like in the bumper
stickers I noticed at a funeral last summer on some kids' cars which
parodied the Army PR campaign and said "Jersey Tough." And the USMC
is still the preferred service.

Dave
Jersey does a pretty good job with their trout streams, in conserving
some farmland, and still has some of the most tenacious farmers in the
country. If my folks had the NJ land our ancestors had I would be
growing potatoes, soybeans and corn there. Today I would be dusting
the frozen fields with lime and checking seed instead of writing
this.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:16:39 -0800 (PST), DaveS
wrote:

On Feb 1, 10:42*pm, flebow wrote:

[...]

The few times I drovw that way w my familiy I would always say
"What Fred makes we all take"

It was also featured in a few films but I cannot recall which ones

Fred
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 2, 3:35*pm, flebow wrote:

"What Fred makes we all take"

Which explains rather nicely why so many tens of millions leave their
shoes at the door.

g.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

wrote:

On Feb 1, 10:42*pm, flebow wrote:

[...]

Fred- Hide quoted text -