Are there drawbacks to using a Push-Button reel?

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:22 PM
DiggityDanks

Default Are there drawbacks to using a Push-Button reel?

I have been using my friends old spinning rods and it was kind of
crappy. The spinning was kind of rusty and I had to stretch my finger
out and change my grip every time I had to cast out. I tried a push
button rod/reel the other day and it seemed really convenient. I like
how it is really easy and how the little hook acts like a pistol grip.
Do people usually frown uppon these? I know in snowboarding, that
people always recommend against using click-in bindings because they
don't offer the kind of control that is found on normal strap-in
bindings. I myself would NEVER use click-in bindings. Is this how push
button reels are looked at in fishing?
Old April 14th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Allen

No problem with the heavy duty Zebcos...
check out http://www.zebco.com
but you have to keep tension on your line
when you wind back in..If not kept tight
your line will dig in the line already
on the spool and when you go to cast the next time
it will hang up. You also will have a problem with casting far.
The 1/2 inch hole the line comes out of will stop you
from long casts. Not so much at 1st, but later when you loose
some line and the line becomes becomes stiffer. Get use to a
spinning reel now...it's a 100% better in the long run.
Stop in at http://sea4two.net and check out the how to section...
Click on the sea life to go to different parts of the site.
Allen
om...

Old April 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Allen

No problem with the heavy duty Zebco's
check out http://www.zebco.com
but you have to keep tension on your line
when you wind back in..If not kept tight
your line will dig in the line already
on the spool and when you go to cast the next time
it will hang up. You also will have a problem with casting far.
The 1/2 inch hole the line comes out of will stop you
from long casts. Not so much at 1st, but later when you loose
some line and the line becomes stiffer. Get use to a

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Jerry

DiggityDanks wrote:
I have been using my friends old spinning rods and it was kind of
crappy. The spinning was kind of rusty and I had to stretch my finger
out and change my grip every time I had to cast out. I tried a push
button rod/reel the other day and it seemed really convenient. I like
how it is really easy and how the little hook acts like a pistol grip.
Do people usually frown uppon these? I know in snowboarding, that
people always recommend against using click-in bindings because they
don't offer the kind of control that is found on normal strap-in
bindings. I myself would NEVER use click-in bindings. Is this how push
button reels are looked at in fishing?

There are those that look down on the spincast reels and some consider
them as kids reels or for beginners. I use them in certain applications
and that is for pan fish, especially crappie. I also have spinning
reels I use for the same application but for day in and day out the
spincast for my use on crappie is my favorite. Having said that let me
qualify it a little. I have tried all different types and styles of
spincast reels and for the most part never cared for them except for one
and that is the Johnson Century. For a spincast this one has the best
drag system I'm aware of and they have dual pickup bails that reduces
line twist and birds nests. I really like these little reels for what I
use them for. As I said I only use these reels for crappie fishing so
if I'm after catfish, bass or larger game I use spinning or bait
casting, depending on the situation. WalMart carries the Johnson
Century and for light tackle fishing I think you would be very happy
with them.

Jerry

Old April 15th, 2004, 05:56 AM

I've had good luck with Abu-matics also.
Most people I've talked to don't like the spincasters because they don't
think you can feather your line on casts, they push the button again and all
it does is abruptly stop the line and lure and it springs back at you from
line stretch at the stop.
This is cured by using your index finger of the other hand to feather the
line coming out of the reel opening, in fact I start and stop all my casts
by feathered the line with that finger and never use the button anymore,
except to release the line initially, it really improved my accuracy doing
that.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Joe

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:22:29 -0700, DiggityDanks wrote:

I have been using my friends old spinning rods and it was kind of
crappy. The spinning was kind of rusty and I had to stretch my finger
out and change my grip every time I had to cast out. I tried a push
button rod/reel the other day and it seemed really convenient. I like
how it is really easy and how the little hook acts like a pistol grip.
Do people usually frown uppon these? I know in snowboarding, that
people always recommend against using click-in bindings because they
don't offer the kind of control that is found on normal strap-in
bindings. I myself would NEVER use click-in bindings. Is this how push
button reels are looked at in fishing?

Go for it. There is nothing wrong with a spin cast reel. There are
people who look down on them because their "beginners" reels but I use
zebco 33s for just about everything... Oh yes I have spinning reels and
casting reels but when I just wanna fish and not fool with the reel you
can't beat a spin cast. Just remember you need to clean it and check the
line just like all other reels.

Joe

Old April 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM
ROBMURR

I just started to change all my reels to
spincasters...Had tangles with spinning
gear. My buddy uses them in tournaments
so its good enough for me. Forget the
cheap Zebcos get a Daiwa gc80 $50
or one of the $25 daiwa spincast models.
Great smooth drag, cast a mile, no
line problems, feel good in your hand.
I like the idea of keeping a finger on the
line to feel the fish and it is easier to do
with the spinncasters for me.
I am keeping one large Daiwa spinning
rod for surf and pier fishing.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:17 PM
MikeG

I've always had problems with the line twising up on them. Even on some of
the higher ended ones. Nothing I hate more than stripping all the line off
to respool a reel when I'm out fishing.

Old April 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Allen

From what I see... is... most everyone has a twisted line problem...
The number one reason why that happens is....and it's not the reels fault !
Your drag is set too light, and you keep winding ,while the fish is slipping
your drag.( happens more so with closed-face reels)
I have seen way too many people just keep on winding, and winding
when they get excited with a fish on. I have seen people stand and fight a
snag
for ten minutes, pulling back on the rod, slipping the drag. To stop twisted
line problems
just don't wind when you pull back. Just wind as you lower the rod, taking
up the slack
as you lower. Don't just lower and then take up the slack. You can lose a
fish that way...
2nd reason for line twist is how the line is put on the reel . Most dummies
put a pencil
through the hole in the spool and tie the line on the reel and crank till
it's full....
Wrong way... I won't explain how to do it the right way now, just don't
fill your reel that way. When your get low just read up on how to do it
right before you do,
or stop at a bait/tackle shop. A good one will do it right,.or drop me a
e-mail.
Third reason is called being cheap, most people don't use a good swivel or
use none at all.
The lure people tell you to direct tie...that's ok, but tie a swivel a foot
or two above your lure.
1st choice is a black ball bearing barrel swivel, no clip on ones ...just a
loop at each end. Use a
good clear leader between your swivel and lure.. A plain barrel swivel is
2nd
and is better than none at all. Tune your lure or, and yes, your bait... If
it spins like a airplane
propeller, you will get a twisted line. I know I mightl get some flack from
this statement...
Those folks who told you to stay with closed face, never could
get the hang of using their left hand to wind the line in on a spinning
reel. They are the ones
you see holding the spinning rod in their left hand reel & rod upside down
(reel up above the rod)
and winding backward with their right hand.after casting with their right
hand.....
holding on the very end of the rod...Here is one more thought...did you ever
give a thought to using a regular
"casting" reel !...I'm sorry I should never have asked that question !!! It
put too much fear
in those closed face spin caster masters eyes.....

Allen
p.s. You want to see more..stop in at http://sea4two.net its takes some
time to load at
speeds less than 56k so hang in there, and reload when you stop back
there is something new most every day.

Old April 16th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Jerry

Allen wrote:
From what I see... is... most everyone has a twisted line problem...
[...]

Wow ............ lets see now, people that put line on using a pencil
are dummies but you don't have time to explain the proper way
.......okay, people who don't use a swivel in their line with a lure are
just cheap ..........Hmmmmmm, and people who continue to use closed
face reel do so because they never could learn to use a spinning reel
......... and lord why doesn't he use a bait casting reel and be a macho
non fearing bait caster. Well lets start with the last one . Ever try
to trout fish with a bait casting reel? or fish for crappie, perch or
other pan fish. Not all reels work in all situations. Then the swivel
in line for lures to stop line twist ...... bull**** unless you are
talking only about in line spinners. Most if not all other lures will
track straight. Then those who like spincast reels. Might just be the
simply like then over other types, or they work better for the type of
fishing they are doing, what do ya think. Now the pencil ....... if
filling a bait casting reel it is considered one of the proper ways.
Spin casting and spinning, lay the spool flat on the floor take several
turns of the reel handle, stop and lower the rod. If the line twists,
turn spool over and then fill the reel to capacity. If the line doesn't
twist then you are okay and still fill the reel to capacity. Now that
wasn't hard was it and there weren't any dummies in the crowd. Line
twist has nothing to do with the drag being set heavy or light but as
you said someone reeling in while the fish is taking line. This is
usually the result of someone lacking in experience ot teaching but if
they are being called dummy all the time I can understand their not
learning. Another possible cause of line twist is fishing under a
bobber with minnows and I don't care if you do have a swivel tied on you
are eventually going to get line twist. Now you have a nice day and
watch our for those non macho bait casters with their wimpy little
fearful spin caster reels.

Jerry