HELP; Need salt Rod advice

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Bikefixr

Default HELP; Need salt Rod advice

I'm going to hawaii in mid-feb. Staying on the beach w/anatural reef. I need a
9 or 10' travel rod, 3-4 pc that can chuck 3oz. Anyone know of anything? Custom
isn't viable-no time to do it. HELP!

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM
terry

"Rob Switzer" wrote:
Bikefixr wrote:
I'm going to hawaii in mid-feb. Staying on the beach w/anatural reef. I
need a
9 or 10' travel rod, 3-4 pc that can chuck 3oz. Anyone know of anything?
Custom
isn't viable-no time to do it. HELP!

one option is to bring your own reel and tackle, then hit wallmart
(or a better shop if you prefer) for a rod once you're there.

On Maui there is a wallmart right near the airport.

They will have some serviceable sticks, obviously nothing high end,
but you could do a "throw-away" type option, or ship it back when
you're done, if really desireable.

Remember, HI is a populated state of the US, not a foreign country.

That said, other options exist as I'm sure you're aware of, though I don't
know the manufacturers of travel rods, I'd check with
cabelas or bass pro as a start.

I also think it would be preferable to bring your own reel and tackle and
buy a rod here. A bent/broken rod guide on a travel rod could be a real
downer. Also, on any island you're going to, there will be rod options from
$20 to $200. Also, spending some money at a local fishing shop will yield
more information on what the locals are using (rods and baits/lures) and
where they're fishing. Oh yeah, other good info would be where not to go.
(e.g. not safe, freak waves, no fish, unfriendly people, ...) It might be
too late to get a copy of "Hawaii Fishing News" via mail, but, pickup a copy
as soon as you get here. Its loaded with information on whats been working
for others.

Old February 8th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Spyda Man

I've lived i Hawaii all my life, and when i travel interisland or to the
Mainland I prefer a telescoping spinning rod which fits right in my
suitcase. I had a high quality Daiwa made in Japan rod but when that
finally needed to be replaced I tried Cabela's "Big Stick" telescoping
rod, and bang for the buck it's hard to beat, and Cabela's is a
excellent company to deal with. Their 10 footer would be perfect for
your needs. Don't go the cheap eBay route, lousey quality, and zero
service.

Spy in Hawaii