why would anyone bother with a baitcasting reel for freshwater ?

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Default why would anyone bother with a baitcasting reel for freshwater ?

jeffc wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
oups.com...

jeffc wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
oups.com...
You'll never have a backlash problem with a spinning reel. You may
pull a few tangles out on a newly filled reel, but that will be it.
You will have much more tangles with a baitcaster than a spinning rod.

No, YOU will. I've seen people have horrendous problems with spinning
reels.

And all of a sudden, the "farther" argument for casting with
baitcasters has disappeared.

No, just for light lures, as I said. The way the line comes off a
spinning
reel means less friction, which is good for very light lures. When the
lures get heavier, it really doesn't matter because a bait caster can't
cast
as far as he needs to, so it's moot.

are you saying spinning reels are more prone to backlashes than
baitcasters now ?

What the HELL are you talking about? Go look up "non sequitur" and see what
you think

semantics

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Gary Udstrand wrote:
On 8 Aug 2006 07:20:24 -0700, duty-honor-country wrote:

Like I said, you're just not good at it. Happens with all sorts of skills
with all sorts of people.

there's quite a few expert bass pros, using spinning and spincasting
reels- are they not just quite good at it ?

your argument does not hold any water.

Yours makes no sense.

Simply, you cannot judge the performance and usage of the baitcaster based
on just your own experience. It appears that you are very much less
skilled than others when it comes to casting and controlling such a reel.
The reason that baitcasters are popular is that they work well for many,
many fisherman. You just don't happen to be one of them.

There is a simple solution, just use your spinning gear and be happy and
recognize that others use and enjoy baitcasters.

Anything less makes you nothing more than a troll.
--
-Gary

I disagree- I CAN judge the baitcasting reel I'm using, because I
bought it- so I have that right. It's mine to hold in whatever regard
I want. And after sampling one, unless you use a 3/4 oz. lure and are
willing to give up casting distance- the only thing they are good for,
is cranking big fish in reliably. A baitcaster casting traits are
inferior to spinning and spincasting- in distance and maintenance
issues- i.e. backlash tangles.

You're forgetting, I bought one.

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Alwaysfishking wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
casting is getting better and further. For comparison I brought along
my spinning rig with a wooden plug- still able to cast much further
with the spinning reel and more accurately.

You never said what type of casting reel you are using or what type rod it's
mounted on. That would make a difference in your ability to cast acurately
as well as for distance.. It might be that your using a cheaper or older
baitcaster. Technology has come a long way, but it's not cheap. My next reel
will most likey be a Diawa ventro? I saw this reel the other day and it has
a sweet little jigging button right over the spool, just tap it with your
thumb and it reels up a bit of line, looks great for pulling in slack and
working worms and jigs, roughly around 200.00

Yes, earlier in the thread I stated it's a Shimano open faced spinning
reel with fighting drag-

and now that you ask, it is an Abu Garcia graphite rod.

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Gary Udstrand wrote:
On 7 Aug 2006 19:12:08 -0700, duty-honor-country wrote:

I'll put 2 pound test on my Shimano spinning reel, with an ounce
weight- and you'll be waiting for minutes for it to land- and using
binoculars to see where it landed.

I know that the first thing I reach for when fishing a one ounce lure is my
ultra-light with two pound test.
--
-Gary

hey, it's a casting contest. It's not a fishing contest.

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Charles B. Summers wrote:
But is that the appropriate bass fishing bait where you live? Guarentee that
I can do the same thing with a baitcaster... all the while switching hands
and no thumb.

Why would I want to put 2 pound test on my baitcaster though. It's not about
distance, it's about putting my bait where I need it, using the right bait
at the right time. Nothing else matters...

Putting two pound test on anything and expecting to catch any sizable fish
is just plain crazy... float-n-fly excluded.

"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thundercat wrote:
On 7 Aug 2006 14:22:26 -0700, "duty-honor-country"
wrote:

Who are you trying to kid ? Now all of a sudden, a spinning rod can't
cast 200 feet ? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Put a full spool light line on a good long spinning rod, with a heavy
bottom weight- and try it one time. 200 feet casts no problem.

Want to go that far heavier line, you say ?? just add weight and keep
the spool topped off.

Lets battle! I'll grab my Scorpion spooled w/ 20lb PowerPro, you get
your contraption and I'll trip trap to whatever bridge you live under
and we can go at it with nice simple 5" Senkos for distance. Accuracy
count yes or no?

.
Harry J aka Thundercat
Share the knowledge, compete on execution...
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com
http://secretweaponlures.com

I'll put 2 pound test on my Shimano spinning reel, with an ounce
weight- and you'll be waiting for minutes for it to land- and using
binoculars to see where it landed.

The man thinks he can outcast a spinning rod, while he uses 20 pound
test. He's mistaken. Even if there was 8 lb. test on the spinning
rig, it would cast further. And you could still haul in a 6 pound
bass. So this is a matter of semantics and a moot point.

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

WARREN WOLK wrote:
lol, this troll is eating well. 2# test would snap if you tried to heave a
1 oz lure a mile with it.

WW

wrote:

[...]

maybe on the 3rd cast it may break. But it would still outcast a
baitcaster for distance, the baitcaster using 20 lb. test- that's a
laughable challenge on the baitcaster's part ! He would not have a
chance.

heck, one could outcast him with 6 pound test on a spinning rod just as
easily.

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"duty-honor-country" wrote in message SNIP

I disagree- I CAN judge the baitcasting reel I'm using, because I
bought it- so I have that right. It's mine to hold in whatever regard
I want. And after sampling one, unless you use a 3/4 oz. lure and are
willing to give up casting distance- the only thing they are good for,
is cranking big fish in reliably. A baitcaster casting traits are
inferior to spinning and spincasting- in distance and maintenance
issues- i.e. backlash tangles.

You're forgetting, I bought one.

Yeah fine, you bought one. But what kind? There is a world of difference
in quality and castability of baitcast reels. That's like saying, I think
all cars suck because I bought and drove a Pinto!

I use primarily Shimano Curado, Chronarch and Cardiff reels. I reliably,
accurately and as far as I want to cast lures as light as 1/4 oz. with my
baitcasting tackle. One thing you haven't mentioned is what kind of reel
you're using, what brand/kind of line and what rod you're using. The rod
you use is an important part of the casting equation.

Years ago, I worked in a bait/tackle shop. I had a middle-aged guy come in,
asking for assistance with some fishing tackle he had purchased elsewhere.
He explained that he was having trouble casting his new baitcaster without
bird's nests. Since we were slow at the time, I went out into the parking
lot with him.

He had an Ambassaduer 5500 reel (a decent enough reel), mated with a 9 foot
fly rod (and a cheap one at that)!!! Well duh, no wonder why he was having
trouble casting!!!

So, tell me exactly what reel you're using, what rod you have (brand, power
rating and line/lure rating). I also need to know the line you're using and
is the rod rated moderate, fast, extra-fast, what is the total package
you're attempting to use with so much difficulty.

To carry the car analogy further, it's hard to get Indy Car performance when
the car is riding on Wal-Mart tires. The reel might be the problem, it
might be the rod too.

So, before you start slamming baitcasting tackle as obsolete technology,
only good for winching fish out, or the tackle companies out to pull a fast
one, enlighten us with your complete setup.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Alwaysfishking wrote:
[...]

But, what kind of Abu Garcia graphite rod? What is the power rating, what
is the line rating, what is the lure weight range and is it a moderate, fast
or extra-fast taper? All that information should be on the label of the
rod.

Now, what brand and model of baitcast reel?

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

duty-honor-country wrote:

whoa- are you saying you can use 8 and 10 pound line on a baitcasting
reel ? I disagree- not very reliably !!

You have no business telling me or anyone else what is or isn't possible
with tackle that you don't use and haven't bothered to master. I used 8
on casting tackle all through the spring for throwing jerkbaits. I use
10 on casting tackle for virtually all light jigging. Hell, I won a
Ranger in a tourney more than 20 years ago and every single fish I
caught in that tourney was caught on 10 pound test line on a casting
rod, throwing a 1/4 oz jig & pig.

You really need to refrain from spouting off about something you know
nothing whatsoever about.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"duty-honor-country" wrote in message SNIP

The man thinks he can outcast a spinning rod, while he uses 20 pound
test. He's mistaken. Even if there was 8 lb. test on the spinning
rig, it would cast further. And you could still haul in a 6 pound
bass. So this is a matter of semantics and a moot point.

LOL, don't discount Harry. I've seen him cast and I wouldn't put it past
him to outcast a spinning rod while using 20 pound line on a baitcast rod.

And, come on up to the Northwoods Classic next month. You can fish with me
using 8 pound test and a spinning rod. I'll fish nothing but my baitcast
equipment. At the end of two days of fishing, we'll see who has more fish
weight landed!

It's not semantics, it's reasonable and responsible angling. Fishing isn't
about who can cast the furthest, it's about hooking and LANDING fish!