why would anyone bother with a baitcasting reel for freshwater ?

Old August 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Default why would anyone bother with a baitcasting reel for freshwater ?

jeffc wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
oups.com...

are you saying spinning reels are more prone to backlashes than
baitcasters now ?

What the HELL are you talking about? Go look up "non sequitur" and see
what
you think

semantics

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

hey, I'm not the one spelling words wrong, you are.

Old August 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

jeffc wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
s.com...

yes, your argument doesn't hold any water- because you attack people
you don't even know, over fishing tackle preferences.

We're talking fishing tackle here, not people.

Bwahahahahahaha. It's not your "preference". You've argued with every
person here, and every person here has told you the exact same thing.
You're dogmatic and argumentative and you wonder why someone gives you a
hard time back. You fairly new to Usenet?

what the hell you looking for, a gay date ? or are you writing a
friggin' book ?

besides, you can't even spell

Old August 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Default why would anyone bother with a baitcasting reel for freshwater ?TROLL??

Joe Z wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
... But I tried to cast with my
Dad's old Ambasseuder 5000 and never could get the hang of
the damn thing, so I basically agree with Mr. d-h-c. 1/2 :-)

Never had a 5000, but we had a bunch of 5000D models for catfishing and
they
were great. They could crank a catfish out of hole like a Warn winch
pulling a Volkswagon out of a ditch. ...

Funny, I compare it to a winch too but in a disparaging way.
I just don't see the challenge in catching a 10 pound fish
on 20 lb. test. Hell, you watch some of the stuff on the TV
and those guys may as well just push a button. Fish on, zip,
fish in the boat. Phooey on that. A challenge is catching a
15 pound fish on 4X 6.4 lb. test. And I'm not talkin' about
using 4X just to make a game of it, I'm talking about fishing
for Michigan steelhead using a size 14 black stonefly nymph
where that's the biggest fly that will work and 4X is the
thickest piece of nylon that will fit through the eye of the
hook. Now *that's* a challenge, and a workout for the drag
on your fly reel, and a test of your skill in applying just
the right amount of pressure with the fly rod.

--
Ken Fortenberry - not trolling ... well, not too much ;-)

I think you hit the nail on the head Ken....... trolling. Mr. DHC has
suckered the whole damn group into a lot of chest thumping and
hyperventilating. IMHO of course. Joe Z ;-)

hey, chest thumping and hyper-ventilating is part of being a man. I
shoot guns, race cars with big V-8's in them, and fish. You don't see
bass pros or NASCAR drivers who are successful, without a bit of an
ego. So this is a good thing.

I set out to find out WHY someone would put up with all the downfalls
of a baitcaster- and it seems to be, for the cranking in capability.
It's certainly not for the casting ability, because they are inferior
casting machines. It seems many have been suckered in by advertising
ploys. Now that bass pros are showing up with spinning and spincasting
reels, it's obvious even the pros aren't buying into this baitcaster
line 100%.

Who wants to fish with a 3/4 oz. lure all the time ?

Old August 9th, 2006, 01:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Todd Copeland wrote:
"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
ps.com...

Gary Udstrand wrote:

Simply, you cannot judge the performance and usage of the baitcaster

based
on just your own experience. It appears that you are very much less
skilled than others when it comes to casting and controlling such a

reel.
The reason that baitcasters are popular is that they work well for many,
many fisherman. You just don't happen to be one of them.

I disagree- I CAN judge the baitcasting reel I'm using, because I
bought it- so I have that right. It's mine to hold in whatever regard
I want. And after sampling one, unless you use a 3/4 oz. lure and are
willing to give up casting distance- the only thing they are good for,
is cranking big fish in reliably. A baitcaster casting traits are
inferior to spinning and spincasting- in distance and maintenance
issues- i.e. backlash tangles.

Your posts asks why _"anyone"_ would use a baitcaster... not just yourself.
No one can speak for why you would or would not use one. What people _are_
addressing is why they (and most people_ use baitcasters.

If you don't agree, don't. But the fact is clear... most people use
baitcasters because they _are_ more accurate.

the problem is, you have to use 15 lb. test and a 3/4 oz. lure to get
the reel to avoid backlash

they are more accurate ?? then tie a #8 hook on, and half a live
nightwalker- and see how far you can cast, with 8 lb. test.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Karen C.

Default Octopus caught in Ohio River

Fisherman catches octopus in Ohio River.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS02/308090045

Karen C.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.

Your total ineptness with baitcasting equipment is the real problem here. My
14 year old DAUGHTER can use one with ease. I taught her.
You may be toooooooo proud to actually "learn" from someone else with your
chest stuck out so far.Do us all a favor and make it your
DUTY- to learn to use one.
HONOR- us all by not being a blowhard whiner.
COUNTRY- move to another one.
Or, be a man and admit you can't or won't learn from someone that can teach
you. Otherwise, just shut up! This thread had gotten way too much attention.
I'm done.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Bass_Mr. wrote:
Your total ineptness with baitcasting equipment is the real problem here. My
14 year old DAUGHTER can use one with ease. I taught her.
You may be toooooooo proud to actually "learn" from someone else with your
chest stuck out so far.Do us all a favor and make it your
DUTY- to learn to use one.
HONOR- us all by not being a blowhard whiner.
COUNTRY- move to another one.
Or, be a man and admit you can't or won't learn from someone that can teach
you. Otherwise, just shut up! This thread had gotten way too much attention.
I'm done.

Google "Charlie Nudo" or "66fourdoor" and see who you are dealing with.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles B. Summers

"duty-honor-country" wrote in message
"Of course, every bass lure has drawbacks. Due to its lack of weight, a
bitty jig is much more difficult to flip and pitch into teacup-size
openings than a heavy one.

LOL... you've never seen me pitch.

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles B. Summers

Busted as a troll... I consider this topic to be over for me.

Thanks bicyclingg

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
duty-honor-country

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
[...]

How can you pass judgement ? You never saw me cast. Again- you're
attacking a person, rather than discussing the gear.

And your 14 year old daughter can cast a spinning reel even easier.

How many run-overs did you have to untangle for her ?

"with ease"- yeh, sure she can..