At a Crossroads...

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:21 AM
gobassn

Default At a Crossroads...

Hi guys. It's 10:45 PM, I just worked a 12-hr shift & I'm going back to do
another one in a few hours. I work in the same room in a giant shopping
mall every day. I'm 39 now & totally burned out on my lifelong business.
I'm not enjoying my work at all anymore. My business has been somewhat
non-profitable for almost 2 years now. I'm dealing in a dying market
(sports collectibles), and the worth of my present location has been
deteriorating for roughly 3 years now.

I hope you don't mind me spewing all this cr-p here, but I consider so many
of you "fishin' buddies" that I feel like I'm among friends (for the most
part lol).

I think about fishing 24-7. I'm talking chronic fellas. I am 100% obsessed
with bass fishing. I doubt the pros think about fishing as much as I do.
Well, maybe a few.

When I fished the B.A.S.S. Opens two years ago I know I didn't set any
worlds on fire; Lord knows I made my mistakes in every tournament I fished.
The Opens were like a much-needed vacation for me. I learned more about
bass fishing competitively in those 3 events than I'd learned over the past
few years. But the most important thing I learned was that I can find good
fish on big water. In the last two tourneys I fished (Erie & Onieda), I
felt like, well, that I belonged there. I finished just out of the money in
both, but more importantly I was "on" good quality fish, and I found them
myself. I made bad decisions that cost me checks in both of those
tournaments. Lessons learned.

I want to go back. In the worst way. I want to fish for a living. I want
to fish every day, all day.

OK, I'm not in a good position here. We're like 120-something days into
2005. I've spent a single 8-hour tournament day on the water. Sure, it
felt like I fished just the day before when I was finally fishing, but the
fact was that I hadn't casted a bait in almost half-a-year (my arm didn't
even hurt the next day). To me that is astonishing & very upsetting.

Aside from doing nothing on-the-water to improve my game, it's also making
me generally unhappy.

I'm at a crossroads in my life. I want to be part of the fishing industry,
in some capacity. I don't care what it is. Preferably tournament fishing,
but I'm open to anything. I need to be outdoors more. There are lots of
people working in fishing.

Why not me?

Is it really impossible for someone to build an excellent local tackle shop,
& I mean excellent, and succeed? I know I'd much rather visit a "real"
tackle shop than Dick's, WalM-rt, etc.

There are NO really good tackle shops in my area. None.

Should I put it on the line & make a real go of fishing tournaments? I know
in 10 years it'll be to late & I'll hate myself for it.

I need a plan & I know I need to make a move.

You only live once, right?

I have a wife, child, home & other assorted overheads to be reponsible for,
please keep this in mind when replying. I can't jeapordize any of them.

Hence my dilemna folks.

ideas, opinions & criticisms welcome

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com
Http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:34 AM
Charles B. Summers

A tackle shop is going to be risky Warren... and from what I've heard, once
you get into the fishing business, you really spend less time fishing than
you ever have.

If you can afford to compete in the opens... I'd stick with that plan. As
far as your current business... you're never too old to start over. If I
felt that what I was doing was headed downhill, I'd get out in a hurry. 39
isn't old, young man... 49 is getting close.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM
Jerry Barton

If you do consider a tackle store, the Mall would be a perfect spot. The
guys would have a store to browse around while their wives are shopping.
But, you've had this dream to compete professionally since I've known you,
and as long as you can maintain your responsibility to your family, give it
hell. Follow your dream!

Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
Bill McKee

"gobassn" wrote in message
[...]

Since you are a salesman. Look at working for Pure Fishing, or one of the
other larger tackle companies as a rep or salesman. That way you make a
decent salary, health benefits for the family and get to fish and also make
contacts. Or look at managerships of large sporting goods stores in your
area. Gives you time also to fish.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Marty

Warren, those 12-hour shifts won't end if you own a tackle shop. Someone
already suggested that as a tackle shop owner, you might spend LESS time
outdoors. I often wondered if working in a tackle shop made one feel like
they were involved with fishing, or if they just felt they were involved
with WORK. In your sports collectibles business, do you feel like you're
involved in sports?

As to fishing for a living, there's no time like the present. You know as
well as anyone that a small number of guys really make a living on
tournament fishing. But it might be worth a shot if you have an itch you
need to scratch and have a supportive family and other income while you try
to get established.

You didn't mention guiding. Does that interest you at all, perhaps on a
parttime basis?

Whatever happens, I wish you the best.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:46 AM
Chris Rennert

gobassn wrote:
[...]

Wow, I had to double check the email address, and the specifics in the
email to see if that was really you writing this.

It reminds me of this article I started to write, hoping to get it
published, but just gave up. It pretty much started out with, when do
we give up all our dreams and accept the reality of everyday life. Why
do we do that, and do we really have to. I don't think at 29 I am in a
spot to give advice, but I can give you my opinions. From what I know
of you Warren you are driven , dedicated, and Intelligent. If you don't
know it, you learn it. If you are good at it, you want to master it.
You are open minded. You told me at the ramp after the second day at
the NWC when I asked why you were smiling after not catching anything,
you told me you always smiled, and that you accept the bad days along
with the good.

I think if you decide to chase your dream, and really decide this is
what you are going to do, I believe you will succeed. I don't know how
you couldn't. If you decide to become a sales rep for a large company in
this industry you will succeed. Your approach to life in general
carries over to all other areas.

I don't know Warren, I know how Michelle stands behind me in whatever I
want to do, and I am sure your wife and daughter are the same way. With
everyone here, and your family pulling for you, I don't think you
could fail if you wanted. Your a great guy, and have been a great
friend to me, even though we have only met once. I have learned so much
from you in the past couple years, from boating to tournament fishing,
to just plain decision making, which has carried over to other areas of
my life as well.

Take a step back now, and then take 100 forward!

Chris
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:54 AM
RichZ

I don't know if a tackle shop is the way to go. In fact, I'd suggest
it's not. Tackle store owners get to fish LESS.

It wasn't all that long ago (well, it WAS all that long ago, but you
know what I mean) that I was in your shoes. In those days though, there
wasn't nearly the money in pr fishing that there is today. Not nearly
the investment, either. I finished in the money in my 2nd BASS tourney,
and tried to convince myself that I could do this. But the long
stretches away from home and the expense and drudgery of dragging a boat
around the country half the year helped convince me otherwise. You share
one of the same problems I did (2 if you count a strong sense of
responsibility to the family) in that you live outside the 'bass belt',
and don't get to keep in practice and in tune on tourney waters the full
year. So I stuck with the writing end of the business, where I'd been
tinkering for a while, and made that work pretty well.

I got to work in the industry anyway, and supported my family by writing
about fishing and augmented that fishing regional tourneys for quite a
few years after my first 'retirement' from non-fishing related
employment. At least until the heart attack and aortic aneurysm 24
months later pretty much ran the well dry financially and forced me to
find other means of income. Still in the industry of course, but my time
is not really my own any more, and I don't get to fish nearly enough.
But even then, I had sown the seeds to grow the writing as I did it part
time for 15 years or so before leaving my other line of employment. I
had the 'network' in place, so to speak. I just needed to work harder
and devote more time to it. Don't know that I'd have the ambition any
more to hustle the way I did 15 years ago to make a living at it full
time freelance.

Just remember that fishing for a living (competitively) is more about
your willingness and ability to maintain high visibility and promote
your sponsors' products than it is about catching fish. I know some
truly great anglers who've tried and failed because they weren't cut out
for the promotional part of it, and I know some good but far from great
anglers who have managed to make it a career because they are
comfortable with the non-fishing side of the business.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:30 AM
yellowchaser

I was in your same situation a few years back, I have been a computer
engineer for over 15 years and I own a computer business for about 5
years but as prices declined, and I got burned out on long hours and
working with consumers. I have always loved fishing and was brought
up around it as a kid as my father fished in many more bass
tournaments than I can count. Back in 1998 about the time that I
opened my business I started a small website just as a hobby thing
for fishing, at that time I was really getting into sal****er fishing
too. In 2003 I decided to pack it in because I was so burned out on
the business. To make a long story short, I went out and got a
regular job working for another company so when I left work I could
actually forget work, unlike when you have your own business. I
poured my heart into my fishing site, and now today I get to fish as
much as I want, I get a steady income from my regular job and even
more from my fishing site, which by the way turned out to be the
second largest sal****er site on the west coast. I get to meet many
anglers, guides, manufacturers, and I wouldn't trade it all for
nothing. So there are ways that you can have your cake and eat it
too, without sacrificing your family's security.

www.hookandsinker.com
FREE 7000+ Reel and Motor Schematics
FREE 570+ Coast to Coast Bottom Charts
FREE GPS Locations for HotSpots

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:21:47 -0400, "gobassn"
sent into the ether:

[...]

Warren,
What research if any did you do before opening your present business?
If you contact a local techincal college you can usually find help
with the planning for setting up a new business. Sometimes you are
able to find grants and such to help with startup. What ever you find
you need a good business plan first. Small business assistance is
available.

I decieded I needed a change back in 1992. I looked at a lot of
options and for me going back to school and getting a degree was the
best option. And I do mean I spent well over a year researching
options for starting up several types of business Being poor for a
while sure sucked, but I would not go back for anything. Just make
sure your plan looks good to the friends and professionals you
consult.

Don't forget the oddball options, like that freshly graduated high
school kid that belonged to the business club and has an interest in
your store. Maybe a sweat equity deal would allow him to run your
store with a goal of becoming owner in 5 years while you still get
income from it when you are creating your dream.

Remember, do not limit your options, look at everything!!!

BTW, you are not too old. I'm 57 now, and I started back to school in
94.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
alwaysfishking

Warren,

I know what you mean about the sports collectibles, I use to be in that
business as well back in the early 90's and made money hand over fist, self
employed and living the high life, then the bottom dropped out. I knew I had
to do something ,so I went back to school for an automotive technology
degree with plans of one day opening my own shop, Well that didn't work out
to well, but I didn't let it stop me, I pursued another oppurtunity in the
same field as an automotive inspector. I still have that job, but now I am
the regional Supervisor for one of the largest areas for a company in 12
countries with 45,000 employees, and I still don't know if this is what I
want to do for the rest of my life. The point is that when one door closes,
another one opens, if you believe it will. Good things happen to good people
Warren and your one of them. Take a day or two and step back and ask why?
When your done asking why, ask why? again. You might not know what this
means now, but you will, and if your still not sure give me a call.

PS,

I always wanted to open a tackle shop too and might be doing so on a part
time basis at a local resort up here, not something that will pay the
mortgage, but hell you never know where it will go, and that's the exciting
part Good luck in whatever you decide