Penns TR

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
Thomas Littleton

Default Penns TR

Arrived in beautiful Coburn,PA on the past Wednesday, around 11 am.
Jonas directed me to the bridge pool, where I noticed about 12 feeding trout
and the start of a decent Grannom hatch. Headed off to the Axelrad stretch
to wait for the Handy One, and commenced to fish. Now, as I said, the
Grannom hatch was on. This isn't one of your "a few hundred bugs in the air"
type of hatches....no, Penn's produces what Datus Proper once stated was the
most massive caddis hatch he had ever seen.
We are talking, in any given spot for over 10 miles of creek, literally
millions of blackish caddis crawling on, in and around every object, anglers
included. The air appears, for a few hours each day, to be one moving cloud
of flying insects. The fishing can be challenging, but a few new flies I
have been working on seemed to simplify things. Landed 3, lost another 3 in
a couple hours of fishing and headed up to the trailer with Mike to open up
for the season.
We returned to the stream in the evening, caught several more(largest of the
day about 18 inches), and went back for dinner. Frank Reid appeared, and
stayed with us throughout the rest of the time in camp.
The following day found us in Ingleby, where the Grannoms put on another
typical show and we blasted fish after fish, all afternoon long.
Friday proved a bit nippy, and blustery at times. Still, all involved(Gene
Cyprich had joined us) took several trout and the Millheim served a
wonderful prime rib to accompany our Yuenglings.
Saturday, the NOAA weather channel was calling for late day showers, with
potential hailstorms, followed by 1 or 2 inches of snow. I left town.
Still and all, three fine days of angling. Largest fish was a 22 inch trout
on a dry fly at Ingleby. The trailer is open for business, and the clave
lies ahead. With any luck, Penns will stay at the current flow levels until
then(readily wadeable in many, if not most spots).
Tom

Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:36 PM
Jeff Miller

Thomas Littleton wrote:

the
Grannom hatch was on. This isn't one of your "a few hundred bugs in the air"
type of hatches....no, Penn's produces what Datus Proper once stated was the
most massive caddis hatch he had ever seen.

ooohhh...bugz....my preshious....

Saturday, the NOAA weather channel was calling for late day showers, with
potential hailstorms, followed by 1 or 2 inches of snow. I left town.

hmmm...wormtongue...

Tom

jeff (lookin for rising rings, lord knows it's so)
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Frank Reid

Well, as evidenced by their graciously putting up the the "mouth from the
south," Mike and Tom are wonderful hosts.
I got really antsy at work on Wednesday, so my darling bride told me not to
wait till Thursday night, but go up Wednesday. I did and will forever
remember it as the best three consecutive days I've ever had fishing. Not
just on Penns, but fishing in general.
Ingleby was great on Thursday with swarms of grannom caddis coming up the
river in the almost 80 degree weather. The fly that Tom designed to match
these may have cost me my first born (Tom, you not only have to pay for her
plane ticket, but you got her bills too), but it was totally worth it. I
was in a zone where I caught or stung about 80% of the rising fish I cast
to.
Friday was grannoms again. This time, it was overcast and drizzley. Temp
was 60 or less. Instead of the fast water, I found fish rising in dead
slack water. I was so successful, I believe I was a bit ungentlemanly in my
comments. Yah gets tons of fish one after another and yah gets cocky.
Again Tom's super secret fly won the day.
Today, Saturday dawned cold and rainy. We had a very late breakfast and
Tom, Mike and I parted ways. They to home, and I went to find Gene. I was
thinking he would be at the pool he likes below the trestle bridge. I
walked 3/4 to Ingleby (seriously) and said to hell with it and started
fishing.
Again, in the slow water, the fish were taking the secret fly. In the fast
water, it was grey or black soft-hackle wets. Occasionally the sun would
peak through and the caddis would pour off the water. During one of these
mini-blizzards... Whump! I got a double. I thought it would be fun but its
like a really bad foul hook because both fish are going in differing
directions and you can't get both of their heads up.
At about three, I was in the slack water above the trestle. I discovered
the Penns Creek Conundrum. I've got 15 fish rising around me. One or two
are chasing the grannom, another is chasing the size 16 BWOs floating by, a
third is only eating hendrickson duns, a fourth is chowing on pink cahills,
and a fifth is taking on the red quill spinners. They will only eat the fly
they are keying on and if you cast the wrong thing over them, you have a
50-50 shot of putting them down. I was able to get about 5 out of that
pool. Oh, yeah, started to see the little black stone flies come up too.
All in all, as I said, the best three consecutive days fishing I've ever
had. Thank you all, Mike, Tom and Gene.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Gene Cyprych

Frank Reid wrote:
[...]

I too had the best 3 fishing days at Penns. As Tom and Frank reported,
Thursday and Friday were great although Friday a little nippy. Thanks
again to the 3 guides I admire the most... Frank for putting me and
Mike onto fish, Tom for his instructional methods and Mike for his
outright directness ("Get the f%$# out of the water!")

Saturday I fished with a couple of nice guys I met through PA
Flyfishers.com. We fished Ingleby and I made a direct beeline for
"Frank's Pool". I got three underneath including an 18 incher and 4
more on top. In the evening I went to "Mike's Bend" above Stans Pool.
There I got a couple of more on top including one that grabed my Elk
Haired Caddis as I was reeling it in.

I woke Sunday morning to find snow! Another first for me, seeing
Hemlock Acres with snow, even if it was just a dusting.

What a weekend of fishing and what great company!!!!

Old April 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Peter Charles

On 24 Apr 2005 10:37:58 -0700, "Gene Cyprych"
wrote:

I too had the best 3 fishing days at Penns. As Tom and Frank reported,
Thursday and Friday were great although Friday a little nippy. Thanks
again to the 3 guides I admire the most... Frank for putting me and
Mike onto fish, Tom for his instructional methods and Mike for his
outright directness ("Get the f%$# out of the water!")

Saturday I fished with a couple of nice guys I met through PA
Flyfishers.com. We fished Ingleby and I made a direct beeline for
"Frank's Pool". I got three underneath including an 18 incher and 4
more on top. In the evening I went to "Mike's Bend" above Stans Pool.
There I got a couple of more on top including one that grabed my Elk
Haired Caddis as I was reeling it in.

I woke Sunday morning to find snow! Another first for me, seeing
Hemlock Acres with snow, even if it was just a dusting.

What a weekend of fishing and what great company!!!!

That's it used guys, use up all the good Penns fishing luck before we
get there . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Mike

My turn.....The trailor survived the winter in fine shap no problems
wraping it in a tarp did the trick.........
It was great to see Tom Frank and Gene Gene the fishing machine
as Frank said he put Gene onto some fish and me in the trees below Gene
only way I was going to catch fish was either an hours work with a
chain saw or kick Gene out of the hot spot I had no saw and Gene is a
nice guy......Gene slayed them I lost count every time I looked up he
was laughing and saying wow there's another one I started looking for
my 357 but remember I left it home so i did a little grumbling and walk
upstream fish started rising right beside me so I plop a grannom on the
water and the fight was on landed about 8 fish biggest one in the 20"
range lost one that was much bigger saw him had him close then snap he
was gone.........Penns was fishing very well will be even better in
May/June.......Saturday on the way out I stopped by BFC grannoms were
in the air few rising fish but the ones i put the fly over took it was
a good way to leave Pa. with a smile on my face.........Tom Frank And
Gene LOBSTAH NIGHT IS THURSDAY made me miss a Mountain burger and
fries..........

Standing In A River Waving A Stick
Handyman Mike

Old April 25th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Thomas Littleton

"Mike" wrote in message
..........Tom Frank And
Gene LOBSTAH NIGHT IS THURSDAY made me miss a Mountain burger and
fries..........

Sorry about that one, old chum.....not to mention we missed Bruce
"softhackle" Fisher, who resides down behind the Sportsmans Club and gave me
holy hell upon my return home!!! Plus, I really wanted to thank him for the
"Patriot" Rod, as it did a heroic job for me. There's always next time.....I
can't wait!!!!!
Tom

Old April 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Tim J.

Frank Reid wrote:
snip
I did and will forever remember it as the best three consecutive
days I've ever had fishing. Not just on Penns, but fishing in

general.

Bastids!

Glad you boys had fun - it sounds like a blast. Especially to someone
who spent most of that time curled up with a blanket, drugged up and
sleeping.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 25th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Thomas Littleton

"Tim J." wrote in message Bastids!

Glad you boys had fun - it sounds like a blast. Especially to someone
who spent most of that time curled up with a blanket, drugged up and
sleeping.
--
TL,
Tim

Well, shoot, lad! When I wasn't fishing, I was in the same state, more or
less.........
Tom

Old April 26th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Mike Makela

"Thomas Littleton" wrote in message

blah, blah, balh, snipped out...

lies ahead. With any luck, Penns will stay at the current flow levels
until
then(readily wadeable in many, if not most spots).
Tom

Ahhh yes, as expected, perfect timing for the Grannoms. Sounds like a
banner session this year.

Those fish are just starving!!

We did get a bit of rain later in the weekend, but it was needed. If we
continue to get just a day or two of rain a week over the next month we
should be prime...

Mike