Cheney shoots someone (I'm not kidding)

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Cheney shoots someone (I'm not kidding)

Scott Seidman wrote:

You can't throw a rock while standing next to these guys without hitting
a potential scandal.

Shhhh! We're hunting Wepubwican Wawyers.

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

rw wrote in news:cH2If.191$VI6.132
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY State,
at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy wing shooting
in similar environments, as its the closest that they can get to the real
thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer facility.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old February 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote in news:cH2If.191$VI6.132
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY State,
at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy wing shooting
in similar environments, as its the closest that they can get to the real
thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer facility.

So you think that shooting 70 farm-raised pheasants is sport?

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
k.net...
Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote in news:cH2If.191$VI6.132
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY State,
at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy wing
shooting in similar environments, as its the closest that they can get to
the real thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer facility.

So you think that shooting 70 farm-raised pheasants is sport?

So, you think Scott said something that suggests he thinks shooting 70
farm-raised pheasants is sport?

Wolfgang
who never ceases to be amazed at what passes for reading skills in this
kindergarten.

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

rw wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cheney_hunting_accident

It's allready made the I love poetry website.
http://www.ilovepoetry.com/VIEWPOEM.ASP?ID=87007

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote:
Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY State,
at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy wing shooting
in similar environments, as its the closest that they can get to the real
thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer facility.

Yeah, but it's not like real wing shooting either if the ones
in New York state are anything like the ones here in Illinois.
Around here you pay for X amount of birds, X amount of birds
are taken out of their pens and planted in a field, and X
amount of birds are shot, one way or the other. They may as
well be fenced in for all the chance they have. I won't hunt
pheasant at one of those places.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
oups.com...

Wolfgang wrote:

.....how can the thought of cover up NOT occur?

I think there's a difference between not reporting it (not a coverup)
than hiding the fact (cover up).

Fine line......at best. The first step in hiding anything is not reporting
it, ainna?

If one can believe what one hears on the tv news, i heard one report
yesterday where it said the guy who was shot came up behind the VP and
didn't let him know he was there, essentially assigning blame to the
victim. (and this wasn't Fox either)

Well, I don't know all the details.....and none of us ever will. That said,
the phrase "blaming the victim" smells strongly of the supposition that
victims never share in the responsibility for what happens to them. This is
patently absurd.

Cheney obviously screwed up, he had the gun, took the shot and didn't
ensure there was no one in the path.

Cheney PROBABLY screwed up with regard to the shooting. This is generally
the case in such situations, but it is by no means impossible for someone to
get shot without the shooter having done anything stupid.

Send him back to a basic hunter
safety class but I'm not sure I would issue a press release saying I
did something stupid either.

You aren't the vice president of the United States. Cheney DID screw up in
not making the matter public immediately.

What concerns me more than the lack of an announcement, is at least one
major newspaper is quoting an animal hack calling hunting wrong. I
fear the conversation will mover more this way than the VP forgetting
the basic safety rules of hunting.

No surprise there. I don't expect people to refrain from commenting on
issues that concern them. Animal rights activists would be idiots to pass
on an opportunity like this.

Wolfgang

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

rw wrote in
k.net:

Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote in news:cH2If.191$VI6.132
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY
State, at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy
wing shooting in similar environments, as its the closest that they
can get to the real thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer
facility.

So you think that shooting 70 farm-raised pheasants is sport?

We all draw the line somewhere. Personally, for me, its big game
enclosed by a fence, because I don't think its "sporting" (whatever that
means) and the management practice helps spread CWD. With respect to the
birds, certainly, wanton waste enters the picture, so what's done with
the 70 birds is somewhat important. Perhaps a donation of the game to a
feed the poor program would somewhat ameliorate what appears at first
glance to be gluttony.

While sportsmen certainly need to police their own sport, so others don't
do it for them, I try to tread rather lightly. For example, there are
some people who think that catch and kill fishing is immoral. There are
catch and release fishermen that think catching and releasing fifty fish
in a day is an abuse of the resource and of the fish. There are anti-
wackos who say that any fishing at all is morally repugnant. There are
environmentalist who object to fish stocking. Which definitions of
sportsmanlike should I follow?

The social libertarian in me wants me to believe that dictating
"sportsmanlike" behavior to others who hold a different, though
defendable, definition of "sportsmanlike" is no more reasonable than
someone telling me when life begins. On the other side of the coin, I
don't think that fenced-in big game hunts should be legal, and you won't
catch me shooting 70 birds, though I might take a reasonable bag limit on
a game farm. I can see a youth shoot resulting in a party taking a large
number of birds, while still following a tight bag limit on each hunter.
Of course, wanton waste regulations should apply to absolutely every
hunt.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
et...
Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote:
Cheney is a pig of a "hunter." He has a history of shooting scores of
farm-raised birds in canned "hunts."

Fair is fair. Game birds are alot fewer and farther between in NY State,
at least, than they were two decades ago. Many hunters enjoy wing
shooting in similar environments, as its the closest that they can get to
the real thing. It's not like it's a fenced-in deer facility.

Yeah, but it's not like real wing shooting either if the ones
in New York state are anything like the ones here in Illinois.
Around here you pay for X amount of birds, X amount of birds
are taken out of their pens and planted in a field, and X
amount of birds are shot, one way or the other. They may as
well be fenced in for all the chance they have.

The few hunt clubs I've been to in southern Wisconsin are all surrounded by
other properties that have a much higher concnetration of pheasants (and
whatever other birds are released) than similiar habitats further from the
clubs. Escapees, I think they're called. Evidently we have some wing
shooters here who aren't as good as you. Presumably, their dogs aren't as
good as yours either.

I won't hunt
pheasant at one of those places.

I take it you don't eat chicken, then.

Wolfgang

Old February 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Knight" wrote

Whoever came up with this needs to work in marketing, not political
spin.

IMHO, a large part of the reason for the 'shift to the right' in recent
years is because that side has better admen, selling an inferior product.
I don't think it's possible to overstate just how gullible our TV raised
culture is to well crafted advertising.

To that we can add the fact that the 'conservative thought' is much easier
to present in sound bite fashion. Not that it's better thought, just
easier to put into a few, oft repeated, words.

A conservative can find his "there is one right way, in all situations, at
all times, no more thought needed" answer on a given topic, refine it to the
minimum words and Bush-like recite his manta, each and every time that topic
comes up. A liberal is forced, by his beliefs, to actually consider other
points of view and the idea that different solutions need to be applied to
different problems. When he tries to explain that far more thoughtful
position it comes off as 'wishy washy' to a public trained to decide by what
they are told to decide by how many times they've seen the exact same ad,
over and over, telling them what to think.