Finally.....

Old July 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Finally.....

On Jul 25, 7:59*am, Dave LaCourse wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:53:33 -0700 (PDT), riverman

wrote:
Actually, that's precisely why I bought mine! I figured the new G4s
were overpriced and overhyped, and the G3s would be a good quality
'also-ran' for a reasonable price.

And you are correct.

Whatcha doing the second week in August? *I'm heading up north a bit
early this year. *The Rapid is still fishing well, with lots of water
in the lakes.

Dave

Unfortunately, I'm back in HK on Aug 2.

--riverman
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:00:41 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:14:08 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:43:54 -0400, Dave LaCourse
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:45:27 -0500,
wrote:

It's more like the wader for the wannabe who can't quite afford to actually go
first class...

Well, sorta. I don't have any Milano Design waders like you do, nor
do I have numerous sets for various duties. Just one set, G3s, that
have given me good performance at less than a buck a day. No status
symbol there.

well, unless his wife increases his allowance...

Teehee. Jo thinks that's funny.

you know - it's
sorta like an Audi...for folks who can't afford or handle a Porsche...

Actually I did the Porsche thing back in 84 before Jo and I were
married. Great car. Took it to the track often.

Whadya bet on...?

Wasn't and still isn't a practical automobile.

The Audi RS6 (2003 only year it was
imported) is a reknown sports sedan capable of 0-60 times of 4.5
seconds

Well, sure, it's practical, but can it make you pinch the sheets in your ass
when it gives you a BJ...?

(which, btw, blows many Porsches off the road). And, it does
it in the rain, snow, sunshine, whatever, while full of my fishing
gear, golf clubs, wife and dog.

Yeah, with a car full of fishing gear, golf clubs, loved ones, and a dog,
nothing is more practical than being able to go 0-60 in under 5 seconds in the
rain or snow...

Try that with your "status symbol"Porsche. d;o)

Yeah, well, thanks and all, but I'll pass...I guess I'm not longer practical
since I've grown up...

You really don't know a helluvalot about cars do you, Richie? d;o)

Hee-hee-hee...

Now, my AMG E63 is even faster and more luxurious

...and even more practical, too, right...?

than the RS6,

Uh-oh - if it reads this, you'll have to treat it to a day at the spa...

but, being rwd is no match for it in the rain or snow. The
RS6 really is a car for all seasons, for all purposes, and a blast to
drive regardless the weather.

So's an old 4x4...and you don't have to worry if you spill your trendy,
expensive red on the rich Corinthian leather...not only that, you can parts for
it at places that don't have umlats over every other letter...and there'll be
nary a Hanz, Franz, Fritz, Goon-ter, or some other Eurotrash wannabe/Berlin
tradeschool grad to deal with...

So anyhoo, let's recap - an Audi, a nouveau riche kid's graduation-present Benz
(what, were you not a good enough boy for mommy to buy you a grown-up's regular
ol' S-class, or, if you have to act like a kid, a real tune like a Brabus S or
G?) and G3s...shizzle mah nizzle, da boy iz a playa...so, does mah nigga roll
with Courvoisier and Coke, Tangueray and juice, Cristal or does you keep it
old-school real with 40s and some blunts....?

...Vanilla with a nine...well, a coupla 6s, anyways...

But, of course, you already knew that, right? d'o)

Not really - there's not a single person I know personally over the age of about
21 or 22 who drives an Audi - everything from pickups to Rollers, but not a
single Audi...I know a couple of people whose kids have Audis, but what they are
I couldn't guess...hey, it's probably just that the adults don't want to own a
car that has to have therapy, Botox, and a Starbucks mocha latte if someone puts
anything cheaper than Evian in the cooling system or non-Ralph Lauren gasoline
in the tank...

Lemme help you out - you don't have enough money (or waders, cars, or other
assorted ****) and you'll never have enough money (or, again, other assorted
****) to impress me, and trying to do so with some over-priced yuppiemobile like
an AMG E-toy is just, well, funny. And no, it had nothing to do with what I
might have, it's just that I really don't give a **** what a person _has_ (or
doesn't have), it's what they are - I know slap-assed broke folks I'd happily
spend a week with drinking Natural Light and cane-pole fishing from a river-bank
tent and I know folks that could buy everything you've ever owned as easily as
you could buy a pack of gum that I'd rather not even have to endure for a few
minutes at cocktail party...and one sure way to get into that latter category is
to feel the need to give me an inventory of all the nouveau consumer crap that
you own...

HTH,

Teeheee. I love it when you lose control.

Um, what makes you think that I ever do...? If you think _anything_ on ROFF has
the power to make me even flinch, that's yet another thing you can add to the
ever-expanding list of things you don't get...

HTH,

d;o)

Old July 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

[...]

LOL. Get over yourself, Rich. The rest of us have. I didn't buy an
E63. I threw that out there as a troll and you took it hook line and
sinker. What you need to do is go into your wader locker and find the
pair of "specialized waders" used for "special occasions", that you
wear when whining and crying. Gawd, you are such a pompous puss.

Davey, quite happy with a six year old RS6. d;op

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

LOL. Get over yourself, Rich. The rest of us have. I didn't buy an
E63. I threw that out there as a troll and you took it hook line and
sinker. What you need to do is go into your wader locker and find the
pair of "specialized waders" used for "special occasions", that you
wear when whining and crying. Gawd, you are such a pompous puss.

Davey, quite happy with a six year old RS6. d;op

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You think claiming you've got a car that some nouv would get
their kid for a graduation present is a troll...? Hell, I think you oughta get
one...that, and a few Macanudos, and you'll be all set for Saturday night at Del
Frisco's...

Snicker,
Old July 25th, 2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Actually, that's precisely why I bought mine! I figured the new G4s
were overpriced and overhyped, and the G3s would be a good quality
'also-ran' for a reasonable price.

And you are correct.

You're both full of ****...the retail price of the G3s hasn't changed much since
they were first introduced (according to the Simms collateral, the "Retail" on
them is now $399USD), so if they are no more "reasonable" now then they were
when they replaced whatever they replacedm regardless of the G4's existence. A
"sport" saying they bought them because of their "reasonable price" as compared
to the G4s sounds every bit as ridiculous as a sport saying they bought them
because they "need" them.

HTH,
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

You guys are too much.

I like my Simms G4s. The built-in gravel guards and the FAR superior
double inside/outside pockets and the belt loops are worth the extra
money. Otherwise, it's about the same technology as the G3s. (I've gone
through two pair of G3s in seven years, Dave. Apparently, I wade and
break trail in far gnarlier **** than you do. The wild roses are the worst.)

I spend a lot of money on my flyfishing habit. A great pair of waders is
the least of it. In Alaska DIY fishing you essentially live your waders.

We now have glorious wet-wading conditions. I'm happy about that. Waders
suck, unless you need them.

Old July 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:14:18 -0600, rw
wrote:

(I've gone
through two pair of G3s in seven years, Dave. Apparently, I wade and
break trail in far gnarlier **** than you do. The wild roses are the worst.)

Hmmmm. I thought I bought them when they were new to the market place
five years ago. Anyway, I am amazed at the wear and tear they can
endure without leaking. Any other set I have owned would have split
at the seams or seperated at the bootie by now. I fall *every time* I
go fishing. Some are bad (my shins and knees show the results). All
involve rocks or dead falls, and sliding on my ass off of rocks has
become a regular occurance. I don't know how Simms does it, but their
product endures everything I throw at it.

Old July 26th, 2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

(I've gone
through two pair of G3s in seven years, Dave. Apparently, I wade and
break trail in far gnarlier **** than you do. The wild roses are the worst.)

Hmmmm. I thought I bought them when they were new to the market place
five years ago. Anyway, I am amazed at the wear and tear they can
endure without leaking. Any other set I have owned would have split
at the seams or seperated at the bootie by now. I fall *every time* I
go fishing. Some are bad (my shins and knees show the results). All
involve rocks or dead falls, and sliding on my ass off of rocks has
become a regular occurance. I don't know how Simms does it, but their
product endures everything I throw at it.

Dave

Sheesh, I am regularly in stuff that would apparently kill either of you, and in
shorts, low-cut boots, and a brush shirt - try bush hogging through a big mess
of Cherokee rose, not to mention walking through it.

IAC, for what Simms charges for its G4, you are about 2/3 of the way to a
full-blown 'stang suit, and for about 1/3 of they charge, you can get a TOTL
commercial-duty bib pant, which, generally, is about like a reenforced,
insulated/buoyant G4 without the stockingfoot. There are a number of places
down here (due to all the offshore/oil and gas, marine, seafood industry, etc.)
where you can have a insulated, multi-layer work suit, pants, bib/farmer,
whatever custom-made out of Gore-Tex (or whatever WP fabric you want and is
available to the maker), and for about half what Simms charges, you could have
waders made that would make G3s/G4s seem like Hefty bags "strength"-wise (or,
since that would likely be a bit much for wading/FFing, have something made that
would just about duplicate Simms' product, but custom-fit with whatever pockets,
zippers, etc. you might reasonably want).

Again, I have nothing against Simms or their products - based solely upon the
product, it is a decent enough product - but anyone who claims they don't think
they are paying a fair amount for the Simms name on them, or that they "need"
Simms waders, is either foolish or lying.

And as an aside, I went to Hodgman's website and found that they are now owned
by Stearns, which makes work suits, bibs, etc. similar to what I mentioned
above. A Sterns work suit runs about $350USD and the bib about $170 - here's
Google's first hit:

http://www.columbussupply.com/produc...575&price=1098

Whether this change of ownership is good or bad, I don't know as I not even
seen, much less used, any of the Stearn's-owned Hodgman's. All I can say is
that the Hodgman's of mine - which the "new" company doesn't make/sell - have
been _extremely_ durable under some pretty demanding conditions (not FFing).

HTH,