Missed World Record?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Missed World Record?

Scott, Where can I find info on this? Doc (Jamestown, NY)

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
..

It's interesting. NY has much of the year closed to bass, and is about to
open up what's now the closed season to "catch and immediate release"-- at
least if their proposal goes through.

One of their reasons is to better compete with the rest on the continental
US, which has much more liberal bass regs.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

" Bill & Sue" wrote in
:

.

It's interesting. NY has much of the year closed to bass, and is
about to open up what's now the closed season to "catch and immediate
release"-- at least if their proposal goes through.

One of their reasons is to better compete with the rest on the
continental US, which has much more liberal bass regs.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/p...5/2005147.html

This lists the proposed regulations. You won't see the justification for
the regulations here-- that's something the DEC guys told me when I asked
about it at the "State of the Lake" meeting in Region 8, and it's only
one justification out of a few.

Will it actually come to pass? Hard to say. The relaxed bass regs are
getting the most comment in the public comment phase (which I think is
over). I know the NY State Council of Trout Unlimited wrote them a
strong letter, with some citations showing that its bad to pull bass off
of the beds.

Myself, I think the bass population can handle some more mistreatment
than the current regs allow for, but we shouldn't allow fish to be taken
off the beds. These proposed regs are a very dramatic change. I think
that they could certainly close one month or six weeks to try to protect
the spawn-- and in some years, they'll just miss anyway.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Scott Seidman wrote in
. 1.4:

" Bill & Sue" wrote in
:

[...]

The proposed changes are also published in the NY State Register, at
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/info/regi...pdfs/Rules.pdf
beginning at page 30. A summary of the Objectives, Needs and Benefits,
and the Regulatory Impact Statement is also there. Best to look here. I
found out the hard way that what they print in the Register is the
legally binding copy, and that the stuff that comes out in press
releases, and what they tell you verbally, can drift quite a bit from the
real document.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thanks for the help. I can support a catch and immediate release during
the spawn. Doc
================================================== ===========================

Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
. com...
John wrote:
Another confusing world record possibility at Lake Dixon:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn21bass.html
snip

Lake Dixon ? Lake my a**, you're talking about a 70 acre barrel
where so-called "anglers" can sit right on top of the beds and
snag frankenbass. The whole damn scenario stinks to high heaven.

I spit in disgust at the whole enterprise.

--
Ken Fortenberry

A 70 acre lake can still be hard to catch big fish. I live by a 50 acre
former Quarry, and have seen 15-17 pound bass. Have had 10# fish swim by my
fins when float rubbing. Which I could catch one of the big ones, seem to
get the 2-3's. Lake record is 17#,

Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message SNIP

As long as it's legal, yes, I believe that fishing bedding bass should
be allowed for record consideration. If you don't think so, then you
need to lobby your Fish & Game Department for a closed season.

It's interesting. NY has much of the year closed to bass, and is about
open up what's now the closed season to "catch and immediate release"--
at
least if their proposal goes through.

One of their reasons is to better compete with the rest on the
continental
US, which has much more liberal bass regs.

Wisconsin too for years was closed for all gamefish from March 15 until
the first Saturday to protect spawning fish. Then, for a while the bass
were protected from early May until mid-June, while the rest of the
gamefish species were fair game. During that time frame, you couldn't
even fish for bass without risking a ticket.

Probably about 5 - 6 years ago (it might even be longer ago), the
regulations were changed to catch and immediate release on all bass
species from the first Saturday in May to mid-June. The bass "keep"
season usually opens around my birthday, so I say the state gave me a
birthday present, even though I rarely keep a bass.

But there is a movement afoot to eliminate all bass fishing until they're
off the beds.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

We would get about a month of fishing if they closed season while bass were
spawning. Is a large state, with varied weather patterns as to temps. The
bass in the Sacramento Delta probably spawn in a normal year, from March to
August or later.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Calif Bill wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
Lake Dixon ? Lake my a**, you're talking about a 70 acre barrel
where so-called "anglers" can sit right on top of the beds and
snag frankenbass. The whole damn scenario stinks to high heaven.

I spit in disgust at the whole enterprise.

A 70 acre lake can still be hard to catch big fish. I live by a 50 acre
former Quarry, and have seen 15-17 pound bass. Have had 10# fish swim by my
fins when float rubbing. Which I could catch one of the big ones, seem to
get the 2-3's. Lake record is 17#,

On a pond that size it's very easy to know where the
spawning beds are located, not to mention that the water
is crystal clear so you can see the fish. Besides that
they're not real bass in the first place, they're what
I call Frankenbass. Those bass live in a barrel and are
practically spoon fed stocked trout. What a farce. No
world record should ever be acknowledged from what amounts
to a glorifed aquarium like "Lake" Dixon.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

John Kerr wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
On a pond that size it's very easy to know where the spawning beds are
located, not to mention that the water is crystal clear so you can see
the fish. Besides that they're not real bass in the first place, they're
what I call Frankenbass. Those bass live in a barrel and are practically
spoon fed stocked trout. What a farce. No world record should ever be
acknowledged from what amounts to a glorifed aquarium like "Lake" Dixon.

Ken, before you judge those lakes and the bass in them, you should take
a trip out and try your hand at it.

It's not that the bass are easy to catch, obviously they're
not if three guys can tag team cast for hours on end all
during the spawning season and come up with nothing but a
snagged fish, it's that the bass are so obscenely phony.
The bass in that pond wouldn't be anywhere near as big as
they are if humans didn't intervene and feed them. That's
my gripe and that's why I call them Frankenbass. I've seen
some huge trout raised in the hatchery pens at the Missouri
state trout parks, they feed them Purina trout chow for a
few years until they get huge. I don't think huge hatchery
trout should be acknowledged as world records either.

--
Ken Fortenberry