rod mishap

Old August 20th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Default rod mishap

So, you keep repeating the same mistake over and over at Wal-Marts expense?
That's what now seven or nine rods in the past two years? Ever think that a
good fiberglass rod is what you need, laddy, for landing those big 12 inch
Bass. This is a Bass group after all. So you are not on topic if your rod
breaks over a carp or pike or Squirrel and Moose, Rocky. If you fished all
the time you would have figured it all out by now.

St Croix makes an excellent 6ft 6inch glass rod. Oh, sorry, you like
Wal-Mart. Try the Ugly Stick, it will not break as easily as the graphite
rod you use. Your breaking of a rod by not using it properly is NOT a
manufactures defect. It is a mental mistake on your part. By perpetrating
this lie you are causing prices to increase on fishing equipment for all of
us, so that Wal-mart can recover the cost of replacement for you.

Rule number one - DO NOT BENT A GRAPHITE ROD MORE THAN 90 DEGREES - EVER -
EVER - EVER - IT WILL BREAK.

"Lure builder" wrote in message
It is easy to break a rod when landing a fish. If the fish is happens to
touch
a hard surface like the boat or shore there is an increased frictional
drag.
The rod can't handle this and snaps like a twig. Like i said before in
this
case there was a distraction and the fish was flopping like crazy. I'm a
bit
skiddish since i hooked my finger in the spring and required medical
attention.
I had trouble even getting to the doctor and i don't want it to happen
again.
I also break rods since I fish almost every day so statistically it is
going to
happen with level of occurance of the fishing event.
I'm an avid angler and i post on topic and i don't flame others.

Old August 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM
spoonplugger

"It is easy to break a rod when landing a fish. If the fish is happens to
touch
a hard surface like the boat or shore there is an increased frictional
drag."

Oh no it is not easy to break a rod my favorite rod is over twenty years old
i have caught Bass,Pike Salmon,Walleye
Carp,Steelhead and Lake Trout on it and it is still going strong but then I
use a net when fishing from shore i dont drag the fish across the ground the
only way to break a rod is misusing it I am not flaming you here either (at
least in this post) if you fish every day as you claim you would think you
would learn a thing or two such as drag setting on your reel
I have snagged logs and pulled them out of the water without breaking a rod
it is simply impossible for any reasonable human being that knows how to
fish
to break that many rods the odds of it happening are simply too high to
calculate and i deal with odds daily
once maybe six or seven times you are at fault not the rod
look into how you handle your equipment
even cheap rods are hard to break
Being an avid angler is meaningless if you cant handle your equipment. maybe
instead of making an ass of yourself everytime you post this thread why not
ask what your doing wrong?
Wayne

Old August 20th, 2004, 05:20 AM
RichZ

Lure wrote:
It is easy to break a rod when landing a fish.

Then why is it that it only happens more than very occasionally to you?

I fish almost every day so statistically it is going to
happen

I guarantee that there are more than a few anglers in this group who fish
far more hours per year than you do, and who have never broken a rod while
landing a fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old August 21st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Lure builder

Lure wrote:
It is easy to break a rod when landing a fish.

Then why is it that it only happens more than very occasionally to you?

I fish almost every day so statistically it is going to
happen

I guarantee that there are more than a few anglers in this group who fish
far more hours per year than you do, and who have never broken a rod while
landing a fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Richz
In answer to your first question...
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:30 AM
Lure builder

Lure wrote:
It is easy to break a rod when landing a fish.

Then why is it that it only happens more than very occasionally to you?

I fish almost every day so statistically it is going to
happen

I guarantee that there are more than a few anglers in this group who fish
far more hours per year than you do, and who have never broken a rod while
landing a fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Richz
In answer to your first question..."It is easy to break a rod when you land a
fish" and i do land a lot of fish.

In answer to your second question...if you can guarantee it then name
them....also how many fish do they land..and what does it all prove anyways..if
rod don't break then why do the manufacturers offer a guarantee.

My rod has already been replaced.

Old August 21st, 2004, 03:41 AM
D. Norton

Al, manufacturers have warranty policies for people just like yourself. You
know, the kind that go whining back to Wally World when they break their
Snoopy rods.
Even though 9.5 times out of 10 it was their fault cause they did something
they should not have done.

It is people like you that just plain **** "me" off as a custom rodbuilder.

--
Dave Norton