Just a gripe

Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Just a gripe

We have a closed bass season here but you can still fish for them. You can
not however target bedding bass during that time. If you catch a fish it
must immediately be released. You can get a ticket just for taking a picture
with it.

R-

Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Rodney

Marty wrote:

We have the same restriction that Al mentioned for Ontario, namely, we
cannot FISH FOR an out-of-season species. NY believes that they are
protecting the fishery by not allowing targeting fish at their most
vulnerable: during the spawn and during the cold weather months when they're
concentrated.

This is where I would have a problem, as I catch many bass when I'm
fishing for other species,, is this a problem where you could get cited
with a fine, when fishing under these regulations ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Lure builder

This is where I would have a problem, as I catch many bass when I'm
fishing for other species,, is this a problem where you could get cited
with a fine, when fishing under these regulations ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Rodney
For example:
There are times, I could try for shallow running lake trout. I should use a
lake trout specific lure and target lake trout. If i'm catching bass (out of
season) then i should move to another fishing spot. It happened to me i caught
a huge bass on a spoon.
I do not target out of season fish with the excuse that i'm fishing for another
species of fish. There is pier(sp) pressure and the CO could haul you into
court and then you can explain your actions to his Honour.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Marty

"Rodney" . wrote in message
Marty wrote:

We have the same restriction that Al mentioned for Ontario, namely, we
cannot FISH FOR an out-of-season species. NY believes that they are
protecting the fishery by not allowing targeting fish at their most
vulnerable: during the spawn and during the cold weather months when

they're
concentrated.

This is where I would have a problem, as I catch many bass when I'm
fishing for other species,, is this a problem where you could get cited
with a fine, when fishing under these regulations ?

I have no experience in this area. Certainly if you're catching a lot of
bass from a spot, you could be deemed to be targeting them if you didn't
move. But I don't really know how the COs determine someone is targeting,
other than a few obvious ways, like fishing beds or using a bass-specific
lure like a plastic worm.

Hundreds of thousands are targeting bass illegally, including yours truly,
I'm sorry to say.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Lure builder

Marty
But I don't really know how the COs determine someone is targeting,
other than a few obvious ways, like fishing beds or using a bass-specific
lure like a plastic worm.

The above would be enough and also perhaps taking pictures. The CO will be on
you.. You may have to appear in court at 9am in Hicksville. It will cost you
since you can't miss court or they will possibly issue a bench warrant for your
arrest and incarceration. You may have to go to Hicksville the day before
missing work time and paying for accomodation, travel etc.Some of the offences
have possible jail terms so you may also want to retain a lawyer.