Just a gripe

Old August 31st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Richard Liebert

Default Just a gripe

Our local very small impoundment has a few bass over 2 lbs. The local guys
catch them and release them for the next guy. Last week someone landed a 5
pounder. I've caught it a few times myself over the years. Although everyone
begged this "sportsman" to place the fish back into our pond, he refused and
took the fish home.

I just can't get over it.

Old August 31st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Rodney

Richard Liebert wrote:
Our local very small impoundment has a few bass over 2 lbs. The local guys
catch them and release them for the next guy. Last week someone landed a 5
pounder. I've caught it a few times myself over the years. Although everyone
begged this "sportsman" to place the fish back into our pond, he refused and
took the fish home.

I just can't get over it.

It makes me sick as well

WE have a 600 acre lake near by, almost no one catches, and releases
bass here, (It is that those who live close to it, just think you should
keep every fish caught), except me of course. One day while I was bank
fishing with a dozen other people, a bass boat comes up to us and ask if
anyone wants some fish, he had 8 bass, the smallest 5 lbs, the biggest
almost 9, all were recently dead, or dying. I ate his ass out. Made
quite a stink to all those there, He had no intention of eating them to
start with, he was going to give them away, but he said he threw back
the little ones.

I'm all for catch and release, I have not kept a bass, except in very
small over populated lakes, then I keep only those under 2 lbs.

I hope that my little temper explosion taught a few of these guys something.

This lake produced at least 15 fish over 10 lbs, that I know off last
year, it has a huge shad population

The lake is pump fed, with only two spots for public bank fishing, and a
lease boat ramp (only 100 people can launch boats, as that is all the
keys issued)

Never more than 5 to 10 boats on it a Saturday, 1 or 2 during the week

The two bank fishing areas are in shallow water, but one is by the pump
inlet, where the shad school, and there are hundreds, maybe even
thousands of bass removed each year from that spot by the bank fishermen
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:01 PM
alwaysfishking

Total disregard is one thing, but understand that some people fish to catch
a fish and eat it. Maybe the 5 pounder was the biggest fish that guy ever
caught, maybe he does not fish much. Would it be a shame if he just took it
home to show someone then threw it away? Yes it would. What if he took it
home to show his little boy then ate it for dinner? Would that be ok?
Remember people who contribute to the economy by buying a license are not
all die hard bass anglers who practice C&R. I'm not sticking up for the guy
but maybe there was a reason. Who knows maybe a few people ate that fish
that night

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Chris Rennert

I am the first guy to say that if you buy your license and you fish within
your legal limits , then you have every right to do whatever you do within
those limits. If your Dept. Of Natural resources says that these things are
reasonable for the resource available then who am I to argue, I am not a
fish biologist.
With that said, I believe there you should also educate yourself on what
would be table fare, and what is chest beating. Truthfully a 5lb largemouth
compared to 5 15" walleye is no contest. You eat the Walleye every time.
My point being, educate yourself as to what would be good eating. Here in
the north, if I saw someone with 5 5lb largemouth in their livewell I would
probably have to kneel down and allow the king to pass by me without looking
him in the eye (except in the spring). Either way fishing to me is a sport
and this is it, but that is just how I view it. It doesn't make me a better
person than the guy who takes 5 bass home to eat, I just view the resource
differently. As long as he is in his legal limits as much as it makes me
cringe to see a 5lb bass in a bucket, there is nothing I can do about it.

Chris

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:00 PM
John Kerr

Fishing and hunting both started as a means of obtaining food...and
still are in many areas. When they evolved into a sport is hard to say,
but just because some of us fish or hunt for sport, does not preclude
others from doing it for other reasons. I have no problem with those
that fish or hunt for food, nor do I have a problem with their
prefference of which fish to eat or not. I trust the "establishment" to
make the right decisions about our natural resources. I may protest some
of those decisions if I feel qualified to do so...so far I havn't felt
that need.
JK

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:50 PM
Bob La Londe

"John Kerr" wrote in message
Fishing and hunting both started as a means of obtaining food...and
still are in many areas. When they evolved into a sport is hard to say,
but just because some of us fish or hunt for sport, does not preclude
others from doing it for other reasons. I have no problem with those
that fish or hunt for food, nor do I have a problem with their
prefference of which fish to eat or not. I trust the "establishment" to
make the right decisions about our natural resources. I may protest some
of those decisions if I feel qualified to do so...so far I havn't felt
that need.
JK

Well put John. As I have tried to say in the past, every DNR and G&F Dept
counts harvest as part of their management tools.

Bob
www.YumaBassMan.com