Just a gripe

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:29 AM
Rodney

Default Just a gripe

Marty wrote:

we have the same regs for a four-acre pond as for a 40-mile
lake. More than one small pond has been screwed up by people staying within
the law.

We don't have regs for a four acre ponds as all of these are privet that
I know of

I also feel like Richard does when people remove big fish, even when they're
fully entitled to do so. And don't even get me started on the slobs who
can't see beyond the next meal, who keep everything regardless of species,
size, creel limits and closed season.

WE also don't have a closed season on anything, and that's the reason
for my reply , because I really don't understand what a closed season
means, does this mean that you can't "try" to catch the species, or that
just you can't keep any that you catch ? Or do they just stop you from
fishing completly ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old September 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM
Lure builder

WE also don't have a closed season on anything, and that's the reason
for my reply , because I really don't understand what a closed season
means, does this mean that you can't "try" to catch the species, or that
just you can't keep any that you catch ? Or do they just stop you from
fishing completly ?

A closed season may apply to a particular species of fish. It means that you
cannot target that fish. You can still fish for species of fish for which the
season is open. The ever vigilaent CO knows if you are targeting a closed
season fish. There is also pier pressure to observe the regs. If you catch a
closed season fish don't take pictures release the fish immediately and move
on. I think it is difficult to prosecute in some borderline situations. Other's
are obvious and you might be fined and forfeit all your gear including your
boat.

Old September 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
Chris Rennert

i agree with you 100% , my point was just that I have no authority to walk
up and make anyone change the way they are if they are within the "so
called" legal limits besides using fists, and really I don't think that will
help them or my wallet.

Chris
"Marty" wrote in message

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
I am the first guy to say that if you buy your license and you fish
within
your legal limits , then you have every right to do whatever you do
within
those limits. If your Dept. Of Natural resources says that these things

are
reasonable for the resource available then who am I to argue, I am not a
fish biologist.

In theory that is correct, but just because the DNR--DEC in NY--has
regulations, that doesn't mean that they're saying these things are
reasonable for the resource. They can't make the appropriate regulations
for
each body of water because it's impossible to determine and administer
them.
As a result, we have the same regs for a four-acre pond as for a 40-mile

Old September 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM
Richard Liebert

An impoundment is a reservoir.

"Lure builder" wrote in message
What is an impoundment? If he is legal in keeping a fish then it is okay.

There
is regs about letting a fish go to spoil. Before you become a C&R angler

you
are usually a C&K angler You see lots of promotional pictures from lodges

where
the guests have kept whole stingers of fish. The guest is usually well

heeled
and the dead fish are really only trophies..

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Marty

"Rodney" . wrote in message
Marty wrote:

we have the same regs for a four-acre pond as for a 40-mile
lake. More than one small pond has been screwed up by people staying

within
the law.

We don't have regs for a four acre ponds as all of these are privet that
I know of

We have them in public parks and elsewhere. It's my understanding that in NY
even private waters are subject to regs unless there is some sort of permit,
but I lack a full understanding of this.

I also feel like Richard does when people remove big fish, even when

they're
fully entitled to do so. And don't even get me started on the slobs who
can't see beyond the next meal, who keep everything regardless of

species,
size, creel limits and closed season.

WE also don't have a closed season on anything, and that's the reason
for my reply , because I really don't understand what a closed season
means, does this mean that you can't "try" to catch the species, or that
just you can't keep any that you catch ? Or do they just stop you from
fishing completly ?

We have the same restriction that Al mentioned for Ontario, namely, we
cannot FISH FOR an out-of-season species. NY believes that they are
protecting the fishery by not allowing targeting fish at their most
vulnerable: during the spawn and during the cold weather months when they're
concentrated. Whether this is necessary, I have no idea. But there's a good
possibility that that in 2007 they'll start allowing catch-and-release
during the closed season, which for bass is Dec.1 through the third Friday
in June.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:26 AM
Marty

"Lure builder" wrote in message

There is also pier pressure to observe the regs.

I understand completely. Every time I'm fishing from a pier, I feel that
pressure to stay legal. I just wish all my peers felt that way. :-)