Greatest Angler

Old May 28th, 2005, 02:53 PM
AJH

Default Greatest Angler

I see Kevin VanDam was selected #5, that leaves Bill Dance in the top
4..Should he be in the top 4.. He hasn't fished a Tournament in a long
time and now just fishes private ponds which I can understand because of
his TV show. but the top 4 IMO is a big stretch...I know he has caught
many bass on a certain world class (in his own mind) inventors baits but
does he belong in the top 20?

Old May 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
go-bassn

Are you kidding AJH? Bill belongs in the top5. Just look at the early
tournament records, the man was a machine. Granted he sold out commercially
& no longer fishes tournaments, but most pros would tell you that its easier
to get paid to *say* you catch fish on your sponsors' stuff, fish in
well-stocked ponds, be on tv etc... than try to earn a living on the tours.
But Bill was a monster back in the day. No doubt, top 5. Now KVD at

Old May 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Even though Bill fished the claimed "private ponds" and catches fish on a
sponsors bait, just take the time to listen to what the man says in between
playing his catch back and forth for 5 minutes.

Filter out most to the commercial talk and hype about how nice the fish is,
and there is some very fine fishing info being given at times.

I agree, Bill should be in the top 5. If you every get to meet him and speak
with him, you will find he has a very genuine love for the sport of fishing.
He also does not have a big head like some of the other pro anglers.

Old May 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM
AJH

Come on Warren, Bill Dance never won a Classic, he was Angler of the
Year 3-4 times, he did win some T's.. he doesn't have the credentials
KVD has, for that matter Larry Nixon or Hank Parker have better
credentials.. But I bet he has made more money in the fishing business
than anyone...I'd rather have Bill's money that the Greatest Angler
Title...

Old May 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM
go-bassn

AJH it's not a debate of the greatest tourney fisherman, its the greatest
all-around angler. Both KVD & Hank would agree that BD belongs in the top
5. 4 AOY? I think that's 2 more than Clunn if I'm not mistaken...

Warren

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
GuitarMan

"AJH" wrote in message
I see Kevin VanDam was selected #5, that leaves Bill Dance in the top
4..Should he be in the top 4.. He hasn't fished a Tournament in a long
time and now just fishes private ponds which I can understand because of
his TV show. but the top 4 IMO is a big stretch...I know he has caught
many bass on a certain world class (in his own mind) inventors baits but
does he belong in the top 20?

Where does Larry Nixon rank? I would say he has earned his place in the
top 5 spot...

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Thundercat

On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:18:43 GMT, "GuitarMan"
wrote:

"AJH" wrote in message
I see Kevin VanDam was selected #5, that leaves Bill Dance in the top
4..Should he be in the top 4.. He hasn't fished a Tournament in a long
time and now just fishes private ponds which I can understand because of
his TV show. but the top 4 IMO is a big stretch...I know he has caught
many bass on a certain world class (in his own mind) inventors baits but
does he belong in the top 20?

Where does Larry Nixon rank? I would say he has earned his place in the
top 5 spot...

Larry is at #6, KVD at #5. The Remaining 4 a

Roland Martin
Denny Brauer
Bill Dance
Rick Clunn

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.
Old May 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM
irbfishin

Don't you think the whole idea of a "greatest angler" is kind of silly
anyway? Kind of like asking "who was the greatest baseball player?".
Just a publicity stunt designed to stir up controversy. Also, I guess
you can only hope to be "greatest angler" if you fish for bass. But
that said, if your gonna have a short list Bill Dance should definitely
be on it.

Shane

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Charles B. Summers

Bill Dance stopped by and said to tell you thanks, Warren. He's also added
you to his contacts now. LOL