Missed World Record?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Missed World Record?

I don't think there is a weight issue involved with this fish, and I
would not be suprised to see it accepted as the new world record. In
essence the mere existance of this fish adds so much credibility to the
legend that Perry's fish has become. I'm glad to see the record
broken.

Sure, the catch is full of controversy, but maybe the bass record is
supposed to be. Sad fact is that there's a very real chance that the
bass will be caught again, and the record will be upped by another
ounce or two.

Warren

Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

John wrote:
Another confusing world record possibility at Lake Dixon:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...-bn21bass.html

Hopefully readers of this board will read up on IGFA rules and avoid the
problems these three guys evidently got into Monday on Lake Dixon. Foul
hooked, no measurements, no certified scales, no biologist species
certification, and maybe the list of problems that could prohibit his World
Record status goes on and on (help landing it, lure/line status, notarized
application, etc. are all possibilities). As more stories about the catch
go public, we'll probably find out more of their sad story.

You can bet that the IGFA will conduct exhaustive studies and analysis for
any all tackle world Largemouth Bass record. Let your mind wander as to the
nature of "exhaustive studies" they may fund. IGFA told me that they use
independent testing laboratories to verify line strength. There are lots and
lots of hoops to jump through to get an IGFA certified world record and
there are a lot of people behind the scenes who will try to take it away
from you.

"Must be caught legally" is one big obstacle. I just hope any readers here
persevere and do all the right things they have to do to get the world
record they deserve. It would be a shame to get caught up in the
excitement of the moment and loose a potential world record. Calmer heads
would have kept it alive and taken this gorgeous fish to the Marina in their
live well so it could be kept alive and put on display so fishing families
everywhere could enjoy it. The living World Record fish on display would
sharply contrast with the current picture of the three Lake Dixon Stooges -
Larry, Moe and Shemp who squandered HIS big chance!

Good luck to all!
John

Good God, that is one beautiful fish.

Forget the record and all the technicalities, I think these guys should
be commended for their sportsmanship. Yes, they did foul hook that fish
but they worked hard for years on that same lake to catch a leviathan
just like it.

Their decision to release the fish quickly in order to minimize stress
and increase its chances of survival is something I deeply respect. By
releasing the fish they have given themselves and others a chance to
catch it legitimately.

Would you rather see them hold the fish in some makeshift livewell in
the off chance that their record gets recognized and place the life of
that fish in danger or release it to fight another day?

These guys made the right decision.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Brendan" wrote in message ...

Good God, that is one beautiful fish.

Forget the record and all the technicalities, I think these guys should
be commended for their sportsmanship.

That's the best thing I've read regarding this matter! Well said Mr.
Brendan.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"John" wrote in
:

"Must be caught legally" is one big obstacle. I just hope any readers
here persevere and do all the right things they have to do to get the
world record they deserve.

What are you suggesting? That someone in a similar situation falsify the
application and state that it was fair hooked?

The guy didn't take the fish fairly-- he doesn't deserve an IGFA record.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Scott Seidman" sez:

"Must be caught legally" is one big obstacle. I just hope any readers
here persevere and do all the right things they have to do to get the
world record they deserve.

What are you suggesting? That someone in a similar situation falsify the
application and state that it was fair hooked?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I would never suggest under any situation
that someone falsify the application in any way. It is my understanding
that "Must be caught legally" eliminates many potential world record
applications. If this guy had been casting from the dock AND there was a No
Fishing sign on the dock, his catch would have been illegal. If somebody in
the boat helped him land the fish (taking the rod and reel and winding it in
for him) that help would have been illegal.

The guy didn't take the fish fairly-- he doesn't deserve an IGFA record.

BINGO! Agreed. BUT the IGFA may rule the take was "legal." And public
IGFA comments lean toward accepting "Catch and Release" world records
without measuring or weighing on certified scales.

The guy didn't take the fish fairly. Hmmmm... From what we have read,
I'm convinced the three amigos in the boat would have kept casting until
"something happened". I can only think of three possibilities; a.
Foul-hooked her, b. fair-hooked her or c. she left/they quit. Their odds
were 2 out of 3 of catching her. And I am convinced they would hoop and
holler to attract witnesses with any hook/snag anywhere near that big
bass' mouth!

Thanks Scott, maybe that's what's been bothering me about these guys. IGFA
rules allow casting/legally snagging world record fish over spawning beds -
but is it fair?

John

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"John" wrote in message SNIP

Thanks Scott, maybe that's what's been bothering me about these guys.
IGFA rules allow casting/legally snagging world record fish over spawning
beds - but is it fair?

As long as it's legal, yes, I believe that fishing bedding bass should be
allowed for record consideration. If you don't think so, then you need to
lobby your Fish & Game Department for a closed season.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
:

"John" wrote in message SNIP

Thanks Scott, maybe that's what's been bothering me about these guys.
IGFA rules allow casting/legally snagging world record fish over
spawning beds - but is it fair?

As long as it's legal, yes, I believe that fishing bedding bass should
be allowed for record consideration. If you don't think so, then you
need to lobby your Fish & Game Department for a closed season.

It's interesting. NY has much of the year closed to bass, and is about to
open up what's now the closed season to "catch and immediate release"-- at
least if their proposal goes through.

One of their reasons is to better compete with the rest on the continental
US, which has much more liberal bass regs.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"John" wrote in
:

The guy didn't take the fish fairly. Hmmmm... From what we have
read, I'm convinced the three amigos in the boat would have kept
casting until "something happened". I can only think of three
possibilities; a. Foul-hooked her, b. fair-hooked her or c. she
left/they quit. Their odds were 2 out of 3 of catching her. And I
am convinced they would hoop and holler to attract witnesses with
any hook/snag anywhere near that big bass' mouth!

Thanks Scott, maybe that's what's been bothering me about these guys.
IGFA rules allow casting/legally snagging world record fish over
spawning beds - but is it fair?

John

I agree with the quote, but its not from me!

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message SNIP

As long as it's legal, yes, I believe that fishing bedding bass should
be allowed for record consideration. If you don't think so, then you
need to lobby your Fish & Game Department for a closed season.

It's interesting. NY has much of the year closed to bass, and is about to
open up what's now the closed season to "catch and immediate release"-- at
least if their proposal goes through.

One of their reasons is to better compete with the rest on the continental
US, which has much more liberal bass regs.

Wisconsin too for years was closed for all gamefish from March 15 until the
first Saturday to protect spawning fish. Then, for a while the bass were
protected from early May until mid-June, while the rest of the gamefish
species were fair game. During that time frame, you couldn't even fish for
bass without risking a ticket.

Probably about 5 - 6 years ago (it might even be longer ago), the
regulations were changed to catch and immediate release on all bass species
from the first Saturday in May to mid-June. The bass "keep" season usually
opens around my birthday, so I say the state gave me a birthday present,
even though I rarely keep a bass.

But there is a movement afoot to eliminate all bass fishing until they're
off the beds.