Keeping some fish to eat

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Keeping some fish to eat

"Mason121" wrote in message
Very Cool John! While I practice catch & release, I appreciate those

that
catch and keep the 14" to 18" bass.

I was talking to someone today at work about fishing and stated that I

only
caught and released fish. I failed to remember that there was a co-worker

near
by who is a total vegitarian. She, we know eachother, came right over and

said
"Dan,
you know that phrase should be changed to injured and released with a big

hole
in it`s mouth from the hook." I wanted to laugh out loud at that.....but

she
is the daughter of the company owner. I let it go though. Then wondered

how
do large mouth bass know to jump out of the water and try to throw the

hook.
They all seem to know how to do this.
Dan.

LOL!!! This is coming from the same woman that probably has pierced ears,
and possibly other things as well!

Bass, as well as other fish don't have a brain developed enough to feel
pain, so they really don't "know" to jump and throw the hook. They're
simply reacting to the tethering action of the line.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Scott Seidman

"Craig Baugher" wrote in

Very Cool John! While I practice catch & release, I appreciate those
that catch and keep the 14" to 18" bass. The bass population needs to
be thinned out too. Otherwise the bass in that body of water will
continue to get smaller and smaller as the population grows. So by
taking your legal limit. you are actually helping the small bass to
survive better (because of less competition) and allowing the bigger
bass to get bigger.

I can appreciate anyone that follows whatever the regs are on the body of
water they happen to be fishing. If someone wants to creel a 5-lb bass, so
long as it's legal, fine with me.

As for trout, if you're fishing for small brook trout with treble-hook
spinners, there's a reasonable chance that the outcome will be the same if
you release or eat that fish.

FWIW, I'd rather see a fish eaten than thrown back after showing up dead at
weigh-in. Frankly, a C & R vs C & Eat discussion seems a little hollow
after the thread discussing how many fish are dead by weigh in.

Scott
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Jeff Durham

My goal is always to bring home fish to eat. Most of my fishing though is
crappie, saugeye, and bluegill. I don't specifically target bass, but I
have kept a few of the legal ones from time to time. I also love Salmon
from my once a year trip to Manistee.

Jeff

"John Kerr" wrote in message
My neighbor is retired...totally retired . He is also an avid
fisherman! Yesterday I was working in the back yard and he was on his
patio cooking something....deep frying some fresh fish he brought home!
We talked fishing for a few mnutes, then I went back to working. About
15 minutes later his wife brought me over a plate....deep fried fish,
coleslaw, beans, and hot buttered cornbread, I thought I had died and
gone to heaven ! I usually leave the fish I catch at the lake, but
next time out, I think I will bring a few of the critters home with me
grin!
JK

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:12 PM
RGarri7470

I can name two dozen better fish to eat and about half of them
are freshwater. Crappie, one of my favorite, was already mentioned. How do
you
rate walleye, perch, catfish, etc?

I like bass better than crappie or cats - all the walleye I have eaten were
good, but no better than bass. And we don't eat much perch here - they don't
generally get big enough, if you are talking yellow perch.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM
RGarri7470

I remember liking the taste of bass, but they
are worth far more to me in the lake than in the pan or stomach, and I
haven't killed one to eat in maybe two decades

At the endo of most club tournaments I fish there are some dead fish - and on
some of our lakes the fisheries biologists say we need to keep all the spotted
bass we catch. Those are what I usually eat.

I made a personal rule back in the early 1970s, before catch and release got to
be a fanatical religion, that I would not keep a bass over 2 pounds. The
smaller ones are better, anyway, and that size bass here in the south has less
than a 25 percent chance of survival for a year regardless of fishing pressure.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:39 PM
alwaysfishking

Cod? Love cod, catching and eating, nothing out there I'd rather have than a
good cod fillet, Now where are those cod pictures I have!!!!
"J Buck" wrote in message
there is absolutely, without question, nothing better than native brook
trout

Couldn't make me eat a trout

Wow. Can't fathom that, but to each his own.

Still, I prefer flounder to any of them, and cod to most

Cod, eh? How about mackerel or striper? I'm not a fan of mackerel...way
too oily, though they're a kick to catch on a Xmas tree. Striper's good.
If I couldn't have a brook trout, I'd settle for swordfish.

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:58 PM
hermit

Perch are fantastic eating in these parts as well as walleye, Erie, PA
area.

Nobody has mentioned carp.....now before everybody goes *yuk*, when I
lived along the Ohio River, it is very common to see people focus on
carp and catfish. I can remember a fish fry once where an old West
Virginia lady was doing the cooking - the carp was superb. Don't know
what she did, but they were some mighty fine eating....

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:52 AM
MMccoy01

If you don't like the strong taste of catfish, just make sure all the dark meat
is removed from the fillets before you cook them and they are almost as mild
and tasty as crappie. I slice off the dark meat next to the skin and also
remove the dark strip down the middle of the fillet and don't keep any over 3
or 4 pounds for eating.

Mark McCoybr
McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennesseebr
http://www.mccoysmarket.com

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Rodney

MMccoy01 wrote:

.. I slice off the dark meat next to the skin and also
remove the dark strip down the middle of the fillet and don't keep any over 3
or 4 pounds for eating.

I used to think that, until I caught and cleaned a 48 Lb blue, that was
the mildest sweetest catfish in the world, I gave half of it away
thinking it would not be worth eating,, only to find out it was sensational

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:19 AM
MMccoy01

Just think about how much pollution a 48 lb. cat has absorbed during the years
it took to get that big.