Calendar Pic Moment (not quite a TR)

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

Default Calendar Pic Moment (not quite a TR)

Although I have backed off tailwater fishing lately, on the way back
from a Labor Day weekend of pickin' music at Mt. View AR, I stopped
off at Bull Shoals Dam, because I had never tried it there.
I waded with old hippers near the golf course out to a decent cast
length from some faster water (it was quite low).
Tried a sow bug, a brassie, a bead head nymph with no luck. Then a
black bead head zebra in about # 20. Third cast a LOVERLY rainbow.
It was a classic early fall day. Rain had washed the air for a day or
two. Marshmallow clouds. Only I and one other were wading, and the
boats were further down river. Sun at my back.
He jumped many, many times, sunlight flashing off his sides. It was
like all the old stories I had read in the magazines as a kid. Took
about 10 minutes or so to bring in.
Kept him in the water, in the net, unhooked him and estimated about 3
1/2 pounds. Pulled the net inside out and schooched him a bit until
he swam off. Just stood and admired the day for a bit.

That did it for me. Maybe I will go back -- dunno.

Broke down the rod and went back to the truck (where SO was reading
with a/c running), ate a great catfish dinner in Mt. Home, and got
home about 7:30 that evening.

A great interlude.

cheers

oz
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-Sep-2009, MajorOz wrote:

[...]

Sounds great and very appealing
Thanks for sharing

Fred
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

I'll be at the campground below the dam the first week of October.
Should be fun. Thanks for the TR.
Frank Reid