Magic Tool for dubbing brush

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Wayne

Default Magic Tool for dubbing brush

At the College Park show I picked up something called a Magic Tool. I
watched Kim Boals tying flys with this thing and was intrigued. Lou
was watching also and had a much closer perch than I. In fact, Lou
was so close and breathing so hard (Kim is VERY easy to look at) that
he kept blowing her feathers off the Magic Tool. I think Lou must
have had a great deal of experience with fan dancers at some point in
his long sordid career! :-D But, back to the tool; there are three
dowel pins of different diameters included with the Magic Tool. The
sparse instruction sheet only says they are for cutting tinsel to a
choice of three uniform lengths. Anyone have a clue as to how this is
supposed to work? The Magic Tool can be found at the
www.petitjean.com web site. I tied up a beetle pattern using
iridescent green skinned foam and grouse hackle/black Krystal Dubbing
brush made in the Magic Tool. The things makes up a darned nice
dubbing brush.

Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!!!
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mike Connor

"Wayne" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
At the College Park show I picked up something called a Magic Tool. I

SNIP

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=140792

TL
MC

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Ernie

"Mike Connor" Mike-Connor wrote in message
s.com...

"Wayne" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
At the College Park show I picked up something called a Magic

Tool. I
SNIP

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=140792
MC

Thanks Mike,
That makes it clear as mud. I guess this is one of those
things you have to see demonstrated, like the whip finisher.
Ernie

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Mike Connor

"Ernie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
SNIP
Thanks Mike,
That makes it clear as mud. I guess this is one of those
things you have to see demonstrated, like the whip finisher.
Ernie

Itīs quite simple really. You can use a foam block with a slit in it as a
"table". The material you wish to use is pushed into the slit. The clear
bulldog clips are available at stationery stores. The dowels of varying
diameter are available everywhere. None of these tools are new.

To use the "dowels", you wrap the material you wish to use around the
dowels. When you cut straight along the length of the dowel with a razor
blade, you end up with a lot of fibres of the same length. These can be used
in a dubbing brush, etc. The result is a sort of "chenille".

TL
MC

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Lat705

D But, back to the tool; there are three
dowel pins of different diameters included with the Magic Tool. The
sparse instruction sheet only says they are for cutting tinsel to a
choice of three uniform lengths. Anyone have a clue as to how this is
supposed to work?

I emailed Kim your question, which was also mine. If she doesn't recognize me
for the dirty old man that I am; and returns the email, I'll post the
instructions when I get them.

Lou T

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Big Dale

Wayne wrote:snipI
watched Kim Boals tying flys with this thing and was intrigued. Lou
was watching also and had a much closer perch than I. In fact, Lou
was so close and breathing so hard (Kim is VERY easy to look at) that
he kept blowing her feathers off the Magic Tool

I always thought she had magic fingers.
You guys shuld watch her tie sometime...you could learn a lot from her...ABOUT
TYING FLIES DAMN'IT
Big Dale
Old January 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Wayne

I'm not sure it was your heavy breathing that may have upset her Lou, but
the puddle of drool left on her table might have been cause for concern.
:-D Of course, any one of us would LOVE to have taken your place in the
"sweet spot" at her table!! :-))