Making a storage compartment water-tight

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Jeff Durham

Default Making a storage compartment water-tight

I have a Tracker Grizzly 1754SC. It has a storage compartment between the
two main seats and one directly behind it. This boat is all aluminum
including the storage compartments. Anytime I get water in the boat either
from rain, swimming, or some water that stays in the boat and is moved
around by trailering or driving the boat, water gets into these two
compartments as they are just an aluminum wall sitting on an aluminum floor.

Here is my question -- any suggestion on how I might seal these seams so to
speak? One compartment has a 1/2" opening on each side on the floor in the
corner. Would silicone caulking do the trick or would that flex and crack
over time with movement of the boat? Ideally, I would like to seal these
and then lay a rubber mat down. Anchors clanking around on an aluminum
painted surface just take off the paint anyway. I have laid a rubber mat
down already that comes up the sides a little bit. It keeps my stuff dry,
but I do end up with water under the mat which I do not want.

Without being water tight, these storage compartments are mostly useless.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jeff Durham" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Jeff,

When will manufacturers realize that we REALLY do want watertight storage on
boats??? I have 8 compartments on my boat and 3 constantly have water in
them. It really is frustrating, not to mention nasty smelling if I forget
to prop open the compartments after fishing in the rain.

Anyway, I would try silicone caulking. It can't hurt and if it doesn't
work, it will at least slow down the water intrusion. Worst case scenario
is that you have to peel it back out.

Another suggestion is to find Tupperware type containers that fit inside
your compartments if the silicone doesn't work.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Eric Ryder

[...]

Silicone caulks have good adhesion on smooth nonporous surfaces and
excellent flexibility. Urethane caulks have better adhesion IMO plus they
are tough. Use an aggressive solvent to remove any grease, etc prior.

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Calif Bill

Go to Al's favorite store and look at all the plastic storage boxs with
tops. Also cheap. There has to be a couple that will fit in the space.
Bill

news