What's your favorite fly fishing book?

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Doug Kanter

Default What's your favorite fly fishing book?

If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM
George Cleveland

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:23:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

A 14 year old reading a fly fishing book in the bathroom for an hour?

OooohKaay...Curtis Creek Manifesto. Although parts are dated its a fun
read and any spots that need to be updated with newer info can be
covered by you with your class room experience. Although I think he
should take a class instead of having you teach him. He'll be taking
less experiential baggage into a class taught by a stranger.

g.c.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Larry L

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind.

With my kid, I've had better luck just trying to be understood rather than
trying to "win" If my son actually understands my point, but still
politely disagrees with me, I respect that in him and wouldn't want him to
be otherwise. Just a thought, something on my mind before I read your post,
as I had a 'conversation' with him this morning, and we each expressed our
position, then agreed to disagree, instead of continuing to bicker to see
who was biggest ..... a big step towards manhood, imho ( in both our
cases )

Oh, I think Borger's "Presentations" might be pretty good as "a" book for a
beginner... it covers nearly everything ... although I do get tired of him
telling us just how great he is and what year he invented the knot and the
fly rod G

Mike Lawson's new book "Spring Creeks" has a similar 'cover everything'
structure IF you fish flat water .... not a suggestion for the beginner, but
I got the book a week or so ago and enjoyed it .... I fish a lot of the
places Mike uses as examples and he and I see the FF world a lot alike ...if
he agrees with me, he must be right, I'd say G

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Doug Kanter

news
wrote:

[...]

OK....I stretched the truth, but only a little. He'll read the fly fishing
book ***IF*** his newest skateboarding magazine didn't just arrive in the
mail that day. :-)

I agree that he should take the class, but I know better than to blow $50 on
a session in which he won't pay attention. As far as experiential luggage,
what fun is fishing is my son and I can't bicker about whose fault it is
that the lure/fly is stuck in a branch? Or my pants leg? :-)

Thanks for the tip on the book.

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Russell

Doug Kanter wrote:

If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

You have gotten some good advise here. I just want to second "Curtis
Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson. Contains lots of great info but
reads more like a comic book. Might be just the thing for a 14 year old.

JMTL,

Russell
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Jim

"Russell" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

For an all-purpose, hard-to-beat-it basic fly fishing text, Tom Rosenbauer's
Orvis Fly Fishing Guide is pretty good, and carried by lots of book stores
too. Its a bit more serious than the Curtis Creek Manifesto which is
basically a comic book about flyfishing - heavy on pictures, light on text -
but still a fun and instructive read.

Jim Ray

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:00 PM
rb608

"Russell" wrote in message
You have gotten some good advise here. I just want to second "Curtis
Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson. Contains lots of great info but
reads more like a comic book. Might be just the thing for a 14 year old.

Yeah; just tell him it's fly fishing anime. g

Joe F.

Old April 5th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Bill Curry

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly

fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son

the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He

will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the

throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

Hi,

The Orvis book is super - and a lot of it is available free online to have a
look at...
http://www.orvis.com/intro.asp?dir_id=758&subject=48

You can read the pieces there and see if you think it worth the price.

Bill
http://www.tightlines.ca

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Wolfgang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
If you saw my post last week, looking for comments on beginner's fly

fishing
outfits, you know I'm about to take a class. I offered my 14 yr old son

the
opportunity to join me. He said he wants to learn, but not from a class.
"You taught me how to fish - how about you teach me to use a fly rod?"
Sometimes, arguing with a 14 yr old is like ****ing into the wind. He

will,
however, take a book to the bathroom for his daily "one hour on the

throne".
Anyone got a favorite book which explains tippets, knots, casting ideas,
etc?

I know that what I'm about to say doesn't answer your question, but others
have already done that and it gives me the heebie jeebies to see a thread go
this long without morphing, so........

The information you are after juxtaposed against a literal interpretation of
the question in the thread subject line suggests an interesting line of
rumination. Aside from providing information which, admittedly, is what you
are after (and in which they obviously succeed in varying degrees....hence
your question), "how to" books don't do much of anything very well. The
hallmarks of good instruction are clarity, completeness, factual accuracy,
and not much more....or at least that seems to be the consensus among the
writers and publishers of "how to" works. Most of them, judged by any other
standard (and there are plenty of other applicable standards for writing and
reading), are abysmal. In other words, and generally speaking, apart from
the more or less tedious to downright painful extraction of information,
there is no good reason on God's green Earth for anyone to read any of them.
That said, optimism (if not reason) dictates that there must be exceptions.
So, MY question is; are there any "how to" fly fishing books (good, bad, or
indifferent) that are good books? What I've seen here in reviews of the
"Curtis Creek Manifesto" (which I have never seen) suggests this might be a
candidate.....yes?, no? maybe so?

Wolfgang