Question About Fluorocarbon Fishing Line & "Leader."

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:44 AM
Sarge

Default Question About Fluorocarbon Fishing Line & "Leader."

Bill wrote: "Given the same pound test, what is the difference in Berkley®
Vanish Fluorocarbon (or any fluorocarbon for that matter) sold as "Leader"
material in 15 yard spools for $20 and Berkley Fluorocarbon that is sold on
bulk spools of 300 yards for $12?"

The price

It is market that way because some people do not want to spool their reels
with fluorocarbon but still want to use a little for a leader. The spools
are smaller so they take up less room in the tackle box. It is part of the
marketing strategy to make you think it is specific designed as leader
material.

If you want to buy in bulk and keep the spool at the house and carry some
for use as leaders try wounding some around a thread spool. There is
usually a small slot to slip the end over to keep it from unraveling in your
tackle box.

Sarge

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Calif Bill

"Sarge" wrote in message
[...]

Leader material is normally stiffer than fishing line. And from my fishing
friends, they say avoid Vanish. Breaks a lot. And not at the knots. I use
Izorline hybrid on reels, and Seaguar 100% Flourcarbon for leader material.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 03:16 AM
Christopher P. Cericola

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
Leader material is normally stiffer than fishing line. And from my
fishing friends, they say avoid Vanish. Breaks a lot. And not at the
knots. I use Izorline hybrid on reels, and Seaguar 100% Flourcarbon for
leader material.

I'm currently using Vanish 8# and have had a lot of luck with it. It does
seem to give a bit easier than I want but if you set the drag right it does
it job well. Personally, I've been turned onto Excalibur by a friend of mine
and think it's probably one of the best lines I've used.

Christopher

Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Sierra fisher

There is more to leaders than just breaking strength. There is also
resistance to abrasion, stiffness, knotting, etc. Rio markets three
different types of 100% fluorocarbon. The older Fluorocarbon Plus is
probably the best for most fishermen because of its abrasion reistance and
price.
However if you buy a 4 pound fluorocarbon line and you test it and it
breaks near 4 pounds, you shouldn't complain about its lack of strength.
Lines are supposed to break near their stated breaking point. I'm not sure
that stiffness is an important consideration in anything except fly fishing.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old July 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
joe

In article et,
"Calif Bill" wrote:

Leader material is normally stiffer than fishing line. And from my fishing
friends, they say avoid Vanish. Breaks a lot. And not at the knots. I use
Izorline hybrid on reels, and Seaguar 100% Flourcarbon for leader material.

That has been my experience also. I could not vouch for the difference
(maybe contact Berkley) but even though Vanish is fluorocarbon is does
not work as leader. However, I think I recall that there is a Vanish
that is labeled as leader material. I typically use Seaguar as Calif
Bill notes.

good fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!

Old July 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM
jhook

I also stick to Seaguar for leaders, but mostly because it seems to hold a
knot better.
Jim

Old July 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Sarge

Here is the reply from Berkley

Vanish leader material has an extra additive that makes it a bit more
abrasion resistant. It also has a larger diameter.
Good Fishing,

Jammie Wackerbarth :-)
Customer Service Representative
http://www.purefishing.com