How fishes see the color?

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Vittorix"

| I didn't have any idea, thanks.
| how far from the bait this transiction is put?
|
| --
| ciao
| Vittorix

The leader goes between the main fishing line and the lure. The leader is always heavier
test than the line. For example I use 40lb. test leader on a pole with 17lb. test (Stren).
The length of the leader is a funtion of the pole length and the weight of the lure. When I
use a 2 ~ 2.25oz. spoon (Krocodile or Gator) on a 12' surf rod I make the leader approx. 30
~ 36 inches. I'll use a barrel swivel to tie between the leader and the main line (17lb.
Stren) and a snap on the leader to connect to the lure. The leader has to loop knots, one
on each end where one is slightly larger than the other. The smaller loop goes to the
barrel swivel and the larger loop goes to a snap. The main line (17lb. Stren) connects to
the barrel swivel via a palomar knot.

The above can be scaled down for fresh water easily. For example, 6 inches to 12 inches of
12 ~ 15lb. leader material, smaller snap and barrel swivel on a pole using 4 ~ 6lb. test.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Vittorix

Bob La Londe wrote:

Who is your ISP by the way. Yeah I should practice what I preach and
just look it up myself in the headers to your posts.

ehehehe. you should, BLB

LOL. Don't
they provide a Usenet server?

SBC, I checked out their server and I found
alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
thanks, you are not completely useless man

I know AOHELL was planning to drop
their Usenet service, and one of our AOHELL resident trolls
disappeared shortly thereafter.

AOHELL sucks, I patiently remove it from any computer in which I found
it

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Vittorix

David H. Lipman wrote:

I didn't have any idea, thanks.
how far from the bait this transiction is put?

The leader goes between the main fishing line and the lure. The
leader is always heavier test than the line. For example I use 40lb.
test leader on a pole with 17lb. test (Stren). The length of the
leader is a funtion of the pole length and the weight of the lure.
When I use a 2 ~ 2.25oz. spoon (Krocodile or Gator) on a 12' surf rod
I make the leader approx. 30 ~ 36 inches. I'll use a barrel swivel
to tie between the leader and the main line (17lb. Stren) and a snap
on the leader to connect to the lure. The leader has to loop knots,
one on each end where one is slightly larger than the other. The
smaller loop goes to the barrel swivel and the larger loop goes to a
snap. The main line (17lb. Stren) connects to the barrel swivel via
a palomar knot.

interesting.
in Italy and in all surf casting fishing and in Long Casting tournaments
we use also a strong line (about 0.60/0.80mm diameter) and we call
"shock leader" to connect the main line (0.20/0.35mm diameter) to the
rig set with big leads (3/6oz), you can see a sample here
http://www.pescainmare.com/newfoto/paternoster.JPG

but our shock leader is about 1,5 times the lenght of the road (usually
13') and the purpose is to receive the sudden and violent traction of a
ground or pendulum cast.
so, that I can't understand of your leader use is the purpose, being so
short.

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

Who is your ISP by the way. Yeah I should practice what I preach and
just look it up myself in the headers to your posts.

ehehehe. you should, BLB

Please don't use abbreviations that not everybody will understand. Its very
rude.

LOL. Don't
they provide a Usenet server?

SBC, I checked out their server and I found
alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
thanks, you are not completely useless man

Neither are you. You have provided me with a great deal of entertainment
with your laughable (at best) attempts to be rude and insulting. If you
have any other uses I am sure you will expound upon and their virtues as
soon as you discover them.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:57 AM
RichZ

Bob La Londe wrote:

Not knowing the principal of how it determines which colors to use

It recommends colors entirely based on the theory that the most visible
color is the most likely to be eaten by a bass. That theory itself is
highly suspect, in that the vast majority of the things a bass is
conditioned to recognize as food in its natural environment are pretty
well camoflauged and don't qualify as high viz.

But the ONLY thing it measures is light intensity. It simply ignores
light temperature, contrast with existing background, water COLOR (as
opposed to clarity) and all of the other myriad factors that can alter
the outcome.

IMHO, even if it was accurate (which the original wasn't), and even if
it could find the actual highest visibility lure color (which it can't,
as long as it doesn't take additional factors other than candlepower
into effect) the theory that the color that can be seen best is most
likely to be eaten is still highly suspect.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Dr Epstein

"Vittorix" wrote in message
David H. Lipman wrote:

[...]

Apart from absorbing the "shock" whether it be from a cast or a hard hit by
a fish, there are some fish that have sharp enough
teeth that fishing without a leader almost always results in your line being
cut. In sal****er, Bluefish come to mind as requiring
a short wire leader. Sharks require a rather lengthy wire leader, in which
they often roll. In England, those who fish for Pike
I believe use a short wire leader when bait fishing. Even a non-wire
heavier-than your line monofilament leader will provide
protection.

Old July 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Vittorix

Dr Epstein wrote:

Apart from absorbing the "shock" whether it be from a cast or a hard
hit by a fish, there are some fish that have sharp enough
teeth that fishing without a leader almost always results in your
line being cut.

and also, some fish could cut the line with the dorsal fin. now I
undestand

In sal****er, Bluefish come to mind as requiring
a short wire leader.

there is the same fish in Italy, we call 'serra' and we fish it with
live mullets

--
ciao
Vittorix