New Years Fishing Resolution - Float-n-Fly

Old January 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM
Joe Haubenreich

Default New Years Fishing Resolution - Float-n-Fly

What are you new year fishing resolutions? Change the subject to reflect
your topic, and share them here.

One of my goals for 2005 is use the Float-n-Fly more. ROFB has discussed
this technique before on several occasions. I think Charles bought a rod
just for this purpose last year, and he is probably out on the water today
using it.

On many Tennessee lakes, shaded, deep-water channels sweep close to steep,
rocky bluffs where F-n-F is well suited. Now that the water temp has dropped
down into the mid 40's, conditions are ripe for this presentation.

Expert angler, bass guide, and good buddy, Rick McFerrin, posted an
introduction to the technique on the TennesseeBassGuides.com site some time
back. The entire article is archived on the site
(http://tennesseebassguides.com/tips.html). Scroll down the page (if you're
able to pass up all the other tempting articles) and you'll find the
Float-n-Fly write-up third from the bottom.

Here are a few key tips I gleaned from Rick’s article:

1. Use an 9" to 10' light-action graphite rod designed for the technique.
2. Attach a light spinning reel spooled with 4 to 8 lb. test line. The
clearer the water -- the smaller the line diameter. Fireline 6/2 yields a
good combination of castability, strength and small diameter.
3. Tie a length of 4# to 8# fluorocarbon leader (8 to 18 feet long,
depending on the depth of the fish you locate on your sonar) to a three-way
swivel using a Palomar knot. Remember to moisten the line before cinching it
down.
4. Then tie the swivel to your main line, again with a Palomar knot.
5. To the third swivel loop, clip on a small float.
6. To the leader, tie a small feather jig. You'll find ones specially
designed for this technique. Punisher Jigs made with duck feathers, matted
with fish attractant, are popular on Dale Hollow. Start with natural, subtle
colors for clear water like Center Hill and brighter colors for stained
lakes like J. Percy Priest.
7. Stand to cast, and make sure that the FLY, not the FLOAT, hits the water
behind you before you bring the rod forward.
8. If there is a chop on the water, that will impart all the action you
need. On calm days, raise your rod tip and shake it a little to keep the
float bouncing back toward the boat. In clear water, retrieve about half-way
back, and then reel in and cast again.

You might also make a little time to visit TNAngler
(http://tnangler.com/) -- a good source of fishing tips, reports, and
announcements for all regions of Tennessee and southern Kentucky. Larry
Self's article "Mastering The Float-n-Fly"
(http://tnangler.com/Articles/fnf.htm) is also an excellent intro for
novices and a useful checklist for those of us who break out the F-N-F gear
only one or two months a year.

Have a great new year!

--
Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old January 1st, 2005, 11:37 PM
Bob La Londe

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message

1. Use an 9" to 10' light-action graphite rod designed for the technique.

Cool. That's quite a range there. I should have something that will work.

--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring

** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:38 AM
Charles B. Summers

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message ...
I think Charles bought a rod
just for this purpose last year, and he is probably out on the water today
using it.

I could only wish I was out today... Beautiful day and I've even got my
windows open in the house! Whenever you're ready to try the FnF... just let
me know! I think Rick said he'd take us out to Dale Hollow when the time was
right.

BTW: I almost signed up for the Polar Bear Club for this mornings dip into
Percy Priest. Guess it wouldn't have been a bad day for that neither since
the water was 47 degrees, and the air temps were in the 60's!

Old January 2nd, 2005, 01:45 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Hmmmm.... Is it too late to change my recommendation to "a 9 to 10-FOOT
light-action rod" instead?

I hope no one ran out and purchased a Popeil Pocket Fisherman for cold-water
bassin' after reading my post this morning.

So much for my other resolution... to go an entire year without making a
single mistake. :-)

Joe

Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Bob La Londe

Dang, I was going to capitolize on your new technique and sew up the market.
Now what the heck am I going to do with all these 9 inch rods?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
RichZ

Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
RichZ