Green River fly-fishing float trip?

Old July 28th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Willi

Default Green River fly-fishing float trip?

cjohns11 wrote:
I would really appreciate some insight/suggestions regarding
fly-fishing the Green River. I will be going on a 4-day private
rafting trip down the Green River the third weekend in August, my trip
starts at the Lodore Ranger Station (CO) and ends Split Mountain (UT).
I read that fly-fishing is fairly good on the Green but not necessary
the area I'll be floating. Has anyone fished this area and if so would
you be willing to suggest some stretches of the river to fish?

Thanks,
Cjohns11

It's a warm water fishery at that point. There are Catfish and some Pike
as well as some of the few remaining populations of Colorado
Pikeminnow/Colorado Squawfish (FUK), Razorback Sucker, Bonytail and
Humpback Chub.

If you could drift upstream instead of down, there's be some great trout
fishing after a couple days drift.

Willi

Old July 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Softhackle

Willi,
I've fished from the dam down stream about 10 miles. I used #12
softhackles in brown and green and did really well fishing the
standard down and across presentation. I also floated with a guide and
fished Hoppers with a #16 brassie dropper and caught lots fish. Most
of the water is easy to waide or to make a cast from shore. And if
things are blown out check out the feeders they hold some nice fish
too. There was one feeder I remember that had a hatchery on it and the
fishing was great. The armada of float tubes will not hamper fishing
at all the trout are used to the taffic. You should bring an extra
water bottle and fresh #45 sunscreen. I planed to go to the Platte
river drainage that year but after stopping at the Green I didnt need
to go any further and spent 5 days in the canyon on the Green. Good
Luck

Old July 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Willi

Softhackle wrote:

[...]

You gave some good advice for the fishery below Flaming Gorge Dam. It is
a VERY fertile and productive, but crowded, fishery.

It was CJohns that asked about the fishing and the section that CJohns
will be floating is downstream far enough that it is a warm water fishery.

Willi