rigging minnows

Old June 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default rigging minnows

Hi, I'm new to bass/walleye fishing. I was wondering the best way to rig a
live minnow. I am fishing for crappie, large mouth, small mouth and walleye.
The other day I used a baithook and hooked the minnow through the back had a
small splitshot about 6-8" above the hook and a bobber a couple feet above
that. It worked ok I guess, I caught a small bass and a few perch, but I
really do not know if I had the best set up to increase my chances to catch
fish.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Old June 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Rigging minows depends on the size of the minnow and how you plan to
fish them. Small fathead minnows are almost always best if hooked
lightly through the lips. If you are suspending them under a
float/bobber, I like to skip the splitshot and hook the minnow through
the lips onto a tiny jighead, about 1/64 or 1/32 oz. Use the finest
wire hook you can to keep the bait as lively for as long as possible.
Fathead minnows are great for Crappie and Perch, and OK for small bass.
For bigger fish, I use what the local bait shops call "Medium
Shinners". I'm not sure what species they are, but they usually run 2
to 4 inches long. I like to hook them in the lips with just a fine
wire hook, about a size 2, with no other tackel, and cast the shinner
near likely fish holding structure. This rig lets the shinner swim as
freely as possible. You can also hook them through the back behind the
dorsal fin and above the spine and fish them under a float/bobber. I
don't use any weight when fishing them like this, again I want the bait
to swim as freely as possible. Bith of this size will catch Big
crappies and perch, largemouth and smallmouth bass, walleyes, pickerel,
and occassionally pike or muskies.

Zimmy

Old June 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"pensrock" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to bass/walleye fishing. I was wondering the best way to rig a
live minnow. I am fishing for crappie, large mouth, small mouth and
walleye. The other day I used a baithook and hooked the minnow through the
back had a small splitshot about 6-8" above the hook and a bobber a couple
feet above that. It worked ok I guess, I caught a small bass and a few
perch, but I really do not know if I had the best set up to increase my
chances to catch fish.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

I like minnows rigged through the lips and dragged under barely inflated
balloon. Birds love them.

Seriously, I like to drift a lip hook minnow below barely inflated water
ballon as a float. If there is a current I'll flip it into the water
upstream from target areas and let the current carry it past or over the
target cover/structure.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"pensrock" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to bass/walleye fishing. I was wondering the best way to rig a
live minnow. I am fishing for crappie, large mouth, small mouth and
walleye. The other day I used a baithook and hooked the minnow through the
back had a small splitshot about 6-8" above the hook and a bobber a couple
feet above that. It worked ok I guess, I caught a small bass and a few
perch, but I really do not know if I had the best set up to increase my
chances to catch fish.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Hi Greg,

There's a wide variety of ways to rig a minnow. A lot depends on what
you're fishing for and what the water is like. When I'm fishing a minnow on
a jig and actively working it, I like to run the hook point in the mouth and
out the top of the skull. This serves several purposes. First of all, it
makes the minnow more durable and less likely to be cast off. Secondly, it
moves the hook point back a little bit and with walleyes, that can make the
difference between a bite and a caught fish when they're being finicky.

You can "Texas-Rig" a minnow with a jig too. Again, run the hook point into
the mouth, but this time, bring the point out the gills, turn the hookpoint
toward the "top" of the minnow. You can then lightly skinhook the point,
rendering it weedless and relatively snag-free.

Working a minnow like this, as long as you're moving it, providing action
works just as well with dead minnows as it does with lively ones.

When fishing a minnow under a float, there's multiple ways as well. If the
water is calm and you're not moving, you can lightly hook the minnow under
the dorsal fin. Take care not to run the hook too deep or you'll break the
spine and kill the minnow. While a dead minnow will work on a jig, on a
light wire hook, you really do need a lively minnow.

You can also hook them further toward the top of the tail. This will make
them struggle a little more and sometimes attracts gamefish better. A
little used trick with minnows is to hook them toward the tail, but instead
but the hook on the underside of the minnow. This will cause the minnow to
tip upside down. It will then struggle to remain upright and really put out
distress signals.

If the area you're float fishing has a little current, or you're moving the
boat, then you should lip hook them. If I want the minnow to really live a
long time, and especially with larger minnows, run the hook point into the
mouth and out the nostril. They will really stay alive a long time this
way. If I need to cast a little further, and minnows hooked in the above
fashion keep throwing off, then I'll run the hookpoint under the jaw and out
the nostril. They stay better on the hook this way.

Finally, when I'm crappie fishing and want to actively work a minnow, using
a float, I'll rig it the following way. Using a slip bobber, I'll tie a
light jig to the line. Then I'll hook the minnow in the mouth and out the
skull like I do for jigging. Casting near cover, I let the minnow/jig fall
until the bobber stands straight up. If nothing takes the minnow on the
fall, I'll give the rod tip a little "POP". This, done properly will cause
the minnow to hop straight up and fall back down without moving the bobber
much, if at all. This way, you can vertical jig your bait 30 feet away from
the boat! Sometimes we'll be catching crappies one after another while the
"bobber watchers" are sitting there without a bite.

Does this help at all?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com