Opinions on Orvis T-3 and Battenkill Large arbor reel

Old May 16th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Sam Sorem

Default Opinions on Orvis T-3 and Battenkill Large arbor reel

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line of
T3 Rods? I've made a couple of fly rods from Lamiglas and G. Loomis blanks
and they've turned out nice. If I put out the bucks for a T3 I'd like to
think I would see a noticeable difference.
I was also wondering what the reports are on the Battenkill Large Arbor
reels. I've got a Battenkill barstock III and really like it, and if I move
"up" to the LA again I'm hoping I would see a noticeable difference.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old May 17th, 2004, 08:01 AM
bassrecord

I had an Orvis Battenkill and bought an Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill. The
LA just does not feel as good as the smaller one on my 10 foot 8 weight Sage
although it works just as good. Other LA reels work fine on my other rods
and my son just loves the LA now it's his.

Take your existing reel and try it out on the rod you are looking to buy and
see how it feels to you. Then put on the LA and see which one feels the
best to you. But don't stop at Orvis, try others and see what feels best to
you. Good luck

John

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Sam Sorem wrote:

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line of
T3 Rods? I've made a couple of fly rods from Lamiglas and G. Loomis blanks
and they've turned out nice. If I put out the bucks for a T3 I'd like to
think I would see a noticeable difference.
I was also wondering what the reports are on the Battenkill Large Arbor
reels. I've got a Battenkill barstock III and really like it, and if I move
"up" to the LA again I'm hoping I would see a noticeable difference.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

The LA is my go to reel. Havent had any problems with them.

I have cast the T3 on a number of occasions and dont really like the way it
feels (like a dead stick).

Old May 17th, 2004, 11:50 PM
brians

Sam Sorem wrote:

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line of
T3 Rods? I've made a couple of fly rods from Lamiglas and G. Loomis blanks
and they've turned out nice. If I put out the bucks for a T3 I'd like to
think I would see a noticeable difference.
I was also wondering what the reports are on the Battenkill Large Arbor
reels. I've got a Battenkill barstock III and really like it, and if I move
"up" to the LA again I'm hoping I would see a noticeable difference.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have 3 Battenkill LAs, so I guess you could say I like them. They have
been trouble free, with a smooth, reliable drag when needed. The price
is right too. My only knock is, they do not have a lot of backing
capacity. If you're going after hot fish, you might be off looking
elsewhere.

brians

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:28 AM
paraleptropy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:50:53 -0700, brians wrote:

Sam Sorem wrote:

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line of
T3 Rods? I've made a couple of fly rods from Lamiglas and G. Loomis blanks
and they've turned out nice. If I put out the bucks for a T3 I'd like to
think I would see a noticeable difference.
I was also wondering what the reports are on the Battenkill Large Arbor
reels. I've got a Battenkill barstock III and really like it, and if I move
"up" to the LA again I'm hoping I would see a noticeable difference.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have 3 Battenkill LAs, so I guess you could say I like them. They have
been trouble free, with a smooth, reliable drag when needed. The price
is right too. My only knock is, they do not have a lot of backing
capacity. If you're going after hot fish, you might be off looking
elsewhere.

brians

Brians,

Orvis has some good stuff. They also have the Best return policy for
whatever you purchase. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money
back.

Now to answer your question regarding the T-3 Rods. I personally
don't like them. You can purchase a Temple Fork outfit that includes
a reel for under 200.00 (USD). The rod is great, the reel is solid.
It's not the prettiest thing on the market (the reel), but it's
functional.

As per the reel... I tried the Orvis Barstock III and for the money,
I don't think it can be beat. It's tight and smooth and well, it's
just a nice all around reel.

Other great rods are, Sage, T&T, Loomis (the old GLX models), Scott
makes a few nice models for under $250.00 too.

- Good luck
-=SAGE=-
http://www.njflyfishing.com
0 Limit,Catch -n- Release
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Cornmuse

Sam Sorem wrote:

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line

of
T3 Rods? SNIP Other great rods are, Sage, T&T, Loomis (the old GLX

models), Scott
makes a few nice models for under $250.00 too.

There is a long way between $250 and owning a T3. While there are certainly
excellent rods under $200 which are just as efficient at catching fish as
rods in the $500 plus range, it seems to me a bit much to suggest that there
are many (any?) sub $300 rods with the warranty, fit and finish of many $500
plus models.

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:00 AM
paraleptropy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:42:18 -0400, "Cornmuse"
wrote:

.. .

Sam Sorem wrote:

I was wondering if anybody out there has any opinions on the Orvis line

of
T3 Rods? SNIP Other great rods are, Sage, T&T, Loomis (the old GLX

models), Scott
makes a few nice models for under $250.00 too.

There is a long way between $250 and owning a T3. While there are certainly
excellent rods under $200 which are just as efficient at catching fish as
rods in the $500 plus range, it seems to me a bit much to suggest that there
are many (any?) sub $300 rods with the warranty, fit and finish of many $500
plus models.

If you look around, you can find some really great deals on flyrods.
For an example, Ramsey Outdoor in NJ, had a blowout sale on all of
their T&T rods. Already a proud owner of an 8 1/2ft 5wt Vector for
625.00, I couldn't pass up on purchasing two more Vectors for $400.00
a piece! My dad also picked up a 9ft 5wt Vector for $100.00. It was
so cheap because it has the word Demo nicely scripted on the side of
the rod. The rod still had the plastic on the cork!

Keep your eye's peeled, you never know what you may run into. The Key
factor when purchasing a rod is to make sure you try a bunch of
different rods. Everyone has a different casting style. Because I
don't care for the T-3 doesn't mean you don't have to care for it.
Try each rod, purchase the one that best meets your style of casting.

If you're new to casting, I recommend taking a casting lesson from a
professional before making the expensive purchase.

Don't let anyone sell you a rod because they think it's the next best
thing since sliced bread.

- Good luck with your purchase!
-=SAGE=-
http://www.njflyfishing.com