satelite topology maps of lakes

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:35 PM
NateH

Default satelite topology maps of lakes

2. Download the aerial and/or topo data from a
free MS server. You can get down to 1 meter
aerial - enough to see a boat on the water.

Is there a URL to get aerial/topo data?

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Bob La Londe

The software he listed downloads it for you. I just tried it, but I have
serious doubts about its accuracy. I read hte latitude and londitude off
the GPS in both of my boats sitting in my driveway in Yuma Az. I plugged in
that info, and it came up centered about 15 miles to the west.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index

gy.com...

Old June 25th, 2004, 11:17 PM
GeneS

You do not need a URL.
The program "automatically" goes to the Microsoft
server & downloads either the Topo or The Aerial data
you requested. You do not need to do anything, except
download the program, install it, enter a starting lat & lon,
select topo or aerial, the image scale (that is, 1m to 64m),
the tell it to fill the screen on your PC . Your screen is
displayed as a matrix, then each little square is automatically filled.
If you have a problem running it, post it here & I'll try & answer
it.

"The hardest thing about this program is that it is too simple."

Gene

gy.com...

Old June 25th, 2004, 11:31 PM
GeneS

I have not had that experience.
For me, it has always been right on - within
40 feet or so. Check to insure that the data
type of your GPS & the program are the same, etc.
I'm sure it's a setting, not an inaccuracy of the program

Gene

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
The software he listed downloads it for you. I just tried it, but I have
serious doubts about its accuracy. I read hte latitude and londitude off
the GPS in both of my boats sitting in my driveway in Yuma Az. I plugged

in
that info, and it came up centered about 15 miles to the west.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

gy.com...

Old June 25th, 2004, 11:34 PM
GeneS

BTW - be sure you are "moving" to get an accurate
GPS reading. I have gotten inaccurate GPS readings because
I was sitting still! No kidding, you need to be walking around
to get good readings:-)

Gene

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
The software he listed downloads it for you. I just tried it, but I have
serious doubts about its accuracy. I read hte latitude and londitude off
the GPS in both of my boats sitting in my driveway in Yuma Az. I plugged

in
that info, and it came up centered about 15 miles to the west.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

gy.com...

Old June 25th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Bob La Londe

"GeneS" wrote in message
BTW - be sure you are "moving" to get an accurate
GPS reading. I have gotten inaccurate GPS readings because
I was sitting still! No kidding, you need to be walking around
to get good readings:-)

Gene

15 miles?

A couple hundred feet I could understand, but 15 miles?

I have two boats sitting in my driveway. Both have GPS maps, and they both
showed the marker on my street on the map. I read the latitude and
longtitude down to the second. They were within two seconds of each other
either way. Thats what I entered in the software.

Old June 26th, 2004, 12:24 AM
GeneS

Sounds like you may have a little conversion
error.

Here are a few links to verify the conversions:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html
http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/gis/latlon.html

What are the readings on your GPS?
If you do not want to post them to the public, then email the readings
from your GPS (s) and I will download the data & see what I get,
then email it to you.

Gene

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
s.com...

Old June 26th, 2004, 12:33 AM
John C. French

Awesome Program. All my GPS wapoints are right on. Best view I've seen of
them as well. Only problem is I would also like maps of Canada as well, due
to my proximity to the St. Lawrence River. Anyone know where to get these.

Again, Awesome Program.

JCFrench

"GeneS" wrote in message
You do not need a URL.
The program "automatically" goes to the Microsoft
server & downloads either the Topo or The Aerial data
you requested. You do not need to do anything, except
download the program, install it, enter a starting lat & lon,
select topo or aerial, the image scale (that is, 1m to 64m),
the tell it to fill the screen on your PC . Your screen is
displayed as a matrix, then each little square is automatically filled.
If you have a problem running it, post it here & I'll try & answer
it.

"The hardest thing about this program is that it is too simple."

Gene

gy.com...

Old June 26th, 2004, 01:38 AM
GeneS

Hmmm - Canada.

They made a lot of satellite photos, I suspect that you
may find Canada in those. Check with NASA, etc.

Good luck tracking them down in the bureaucracy:-)
I know they exist, just not sure how to find them.

BTW, you have "depth" via the topo maps. I like to toggle
"t" & "p" at 4 meter to see elevation , then aerial. There is
a program somewhere that integrates topo & aerial into a 3-D
view - just never messed with it.

Gene

. ..

"GeneS" wrote in message
You do not need a URL.
The program "automatically" goes to the Microsoft
server & downloads either the Topo or The Aerial data
you requested. You do not need to do anything, except
download the program, install it, enter a starting lat & lon,
select topo or aerial, the image scale (that is, 1m to 64m),
the tell it to fill the screen on your PC . Your screen is
displayed as a matrix, then each little square is automatically filled.
If you have a problem running it, post it here & I'll try & answer
it.

"The hardest thing about this program is that it is too simple."

Gene

gy.com...

Old June 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
GeneS

If you just want to see what we are talking about, you can go he
http://www.tx.rodngun.com/gps/GPSSearch.asp

Click on:
Click here to enter your coordinates.
at bottom of page

Enter:
28 (one space only) 7.5158
and
96 (one space only) 58.6438

Click:
View Your Coordinates

Click:
Topographic map (or Nautical)

This is Goose Island - walk out ~ half way on the 1st section of the pier,
then
wade out NE to the shell reefs & fish in the small channels :-)

This is a "GOOD" way to describe to someone "where" you are talking
about in posts. It's SO much easier to look at a map:-)
Just post the lat & lon as degrees & decimal minutes
Latitude = DD (one space) MM.MMMM
Longitude = DD (one space) MM.MMMM

Gene

"GeneS" wrote in message
Here is all you need to do:

1. Go here & download a shareware program
http://www.jdmcox.com
Full Install of USAPhotoMaps 2.25 .... Download Here

2. Download the aerial and/or topo data from a
free MS server. You can get down to 1 meter
aerial - enough to see a boat on the water.

When you first start the program, just enter a starting
lon & lat, then select 8 meter resolution, then type in
"p", then "f" to fill the page (that is, download) a full screen
of aerial that can be viewed at 1, 2, 4, or 8 meter resolution.
Hit "t" for topo.

The software is there to connect your GPS to your PC.
If you have a GPS that connects to a PC via a cable, then
this software is all you need. I typically burn a lake topo & aerial data
to a CD - then use that in the field.

CAUTION: download a little utility that converts the different formats of
lat & lon - you "WILL" need to do this simple math from time to time.

Hope this helps someone.

Gene

"Lester" wrote in message
om...
I live on a small lake and heard that some company sells detailed
depth charts based on radio satelite imaging. (I want to use my GPS to
find the correct spots on the lake).

Please advise,

Thank you