1st time night fishing-Mega Strike

Old August 16th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Ken Blevins

Default 1st time night fishing-Mega Strike

tomorrow night will be my first time at fishing all night, and I have a few
questions. While I know common knowledge says to use dark baits [ black -
watermelon etc.], why wouldn't you want to use a white -yellow or
orange??Should I fish the same areas at night as I do in morning and
evenings. There will be a almost full
moon so will top water be good??
On another topic, I received my order of " MEGA STRIKE " scent yesterday
morning and tried it out yesterday evening without real good results. I
didn't have as much luck with mega strike as I did with the nasty Wal-Mart
spray on stuff but it was another day and different fishing conditions. I
like the way it lasts on the bait and what bites I did get were solid hits
.. I did have several bites that pulled the senko completely off the hook
Thanks
Ken Blevins

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Charles B. Summers

Tonight when it gets dark outside, take some of your baits of different
colors and hold them above your head and see which stand out the most.
Looking up, darker baits will have a better profile against a light sky,
even though it's dark out. If there is no moon or lights, then color choices
confuse me, but there are usually enough lights from the city to lighten the
skies here. Anyway, the profile is all the bass is going to see... so be
sure to use a noisy bait too.

As far as Mega-Strike... I love the stuff. We were told by the manufacturer
that MS is not an attractant, but rather an enzyme that makes a fish (bass)
hold the bait longer because it's suppose to be the same enzyme that a
baitfish releases as it's in distress. So, as an attractant... it's useless
to me, but once the bait is in the fishes mouth, it gives me more time to
feel it and get a hook set in its' mouth.

HTH,
Charles

Old August 17th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Joe Haubenreich

In clear water, under full moon, white and pink baits are popular choices
among highland rim bass anglers. I've fished them and can't really say that
they work any better than the high-contrast black or purple skirted baits.

I almost always use black worms, tubes, jigs, crankbaits, buzzbaits, and
spinnerbaits at night.

Joe
___________________________

Old August 17th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Rich P

I've read a few times that bass have 4 timers the sensitivity to light
that we have. So, if you can see just a little, they can probably still see
pretty well in clearer water. My recent experience fishing at night has
been that even at 3 AM, if there's a moon out and clear skies, the fish may
hold near cover just as in the day.
My last night tournament I took first place by fishing 5" black Senkos
t-rigged on 10lb power pro and casting to the edges of lily pads and weed
edges in 8 or so feet of water. Just dead sticking it for 20 seconds or so.
And I did use Mega-Strike. Some came from shallower weedbeds and one from a
beaver dam, but all were close to cover they could use to ambush prey.
I didn't use rattles or noise and nobody in the club had any luck with
topwater baits. Most of the guys who stuck to topwater skunked. I had 6
keepers from a 150' shoreline just being slow and quiet. Ironically, at the
weigh in, several guys told of falling asleep at around 3 and I got 9 of my
13 bass (including 4-02 lunker) between 3 and 5 AM. I think if you stay
alert and fish hard all night it will drastically improve your odds of
winning. I also think that many bass (especially where there's some fishing
pressure) are conditioned to feed at night. You may find bass in places
that you couldn't get them in during daylight and places that produce during
daylight that are dead in the dark.

Good Luck,
Rich P