Sage advice for Fred

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Rodger

Default Sage advice for Fred

Soooo....Fred, what are you going to do with the mules? I know a guy
out there that was looking for some last summer but the trip here to
Missouri was a bit long.

Buff
"Rodger" wrote in message
Wasn't really planning anything 'formal' but just thinking. I have
contacts out there and plenty of places to fish. Best time to go is

the
first two weeks of August.

My friends there are in Augusta, MT, a small town of about 5 bars, one
gas station, a couple of cafes and a gift shop. Very "Western".

It's
o.k. with most if your dog goes in with you. It's possible they might
prefer the dog.

It's about 20 mi.straight west to the mountains and the trail head.
Other directions, if you know the right people, are trout filled

brooks,
reservoirs (one of which has pike) and the lower Sun river, which has
some very nice browns.

By the way, Augusta is about 60 mi. straight west of Great Falls.

Buff

"Fred" wrote in message

On 7-Dec-2008, "Rodgers" wrote:

Would like to horse pack into the Bob Marshall and perhaps, over
the divide into White River country, although, that might be a bit
rigorous for me now. My FA. spot in the "Bob" got burned over in

the
last round of fire but would like to see it anyway.

We live in NW Montana and I have hiked and ridden into the Bob

Marshall
We now have 2 horses w hoprefully another one or 2 & 1 or 2 mules

yet to
come

(in case my wife is reading this - I want a mule or 2 for Christmas-
We have the 40 acres - As a matter of fact we should have 4 mules)

I do not know where the White River is ??
Sun River - yes
We usually go in through the north western estern edges at near

Galcier Park
by Essex - Beaver creek in the NW.
When hiking in (twice) we flew into Shaeffer Meadows.

It all maty be too strenuous for me now - also
as I have not gotten any younger in the past 11 yrds of living here.

Where are you thinking about going in and taking out?
Great Falls?

and When?

Thanks
Fred

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 7-Dec-2008, "Rodger" wrote:

Soooo....Fred, what are you going to do with the mules?

Mules

I really am not sure yet
I want them to pack as I would rather have them carry the weight instead of
me
Also in case ase of the end of the world as we know it - It breaks down
and I can no longer get gasoline
They will replace a tractor or 2 at least

We have room for a few more 4 legged beasts.

We are renting our barn appt but thats another long story....

Goats are out becuase they ate my wife's garden
You can't fence in a goat

(They also ate my daughter's porch)

I asked a guy @ Mild Fence after they fixed our corral, about fencing in
goats - in the midst of our problems with them .
He said that the best way to maintain a goat was to "grill 'em with butter"

Fred
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 7-Dec-2008, "Rodger" wrote:

. Best time to go is the
first two weeks of August.

My friends there are in Augusta, MT, a small town of about 5 bars, one
gas station, a couple of cafes and a gift shop. Very "Western". It's
o.k. with most if your dog goes in with you. It's possible they might
prefer the dog.

It's about 20 mi.straight west to the mountains and the trail head.
Other directions, if you know the right people, are trout filled brooks,
reservoirs (one of which has pike) and the lower Sun river, which has
some very nice browns.

By the way, Augusta is about 60 mi. straight west of Great Falls.

Never been there sounds nice - real nice
I checked it out in the Atlas.
I will have to go there someday.

In my time - I have been to a few bars like that

August - first 2 weeks is also prime fire season
Certain yrs it's all closed - or at least campfires are severely
restrictred and the rivers are at a sad stage where I would not want to fish
already stressed fish - However last yr was certainly a great exception as
we had plenty of run off.

So far this season is far too warm
I will be doing snow dances real soon.
We need a lot of snow!

Here is a snow song to the snow giods:

SNOWWWWW! SNOWWWW ! OWOOOOSNOWWW OWOOOOOO SNOWWWWWW yeah man 2 3-4
WOHOOOHOOO SNOW yeah man 3 - 4
Snow! 2-3 4-
Oh god of snow give it to us! ... and 4....

Fred
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

rw wrote:
jeff wrote:

rw wrote:

jeff miller wrote:

Rodger wrote:

Sorry I somehow got on the wrong (now dead) 'other' fly fishing
group and could not find my msg. or your reply until now.

Would like to horsepack into the Bob Marshall and perhaps, over
the divide into White River country, although, that might be a bit
rigorous for me now. My fav. spot in the "Bob" got burned over in
the
last round of fire but would like to see it anyway.

Buff

this is a trip a number of folks here have talked about, looked into
doing, then lost interest in for one reason or another. if this is
in the planning stage and allows for others to join, please send me
an e-mail and let me know details.

jeff

I've done it twice, but it was a long time ago. They weren't
primarily fishing trips, but I did a little fishing with moderate
success.

did you do the Sf of Fhd?

jeff

It was so long ago that I don't even remember where I fished. It was
mainly a sightseeing trip. Frankly, we were on horseback so many hours a
day that there was little chance to fish, and the outfitter wasn't
generally camping at fishing spots -- more at spots with graze for the
stock.

any interest in putting a trip together? i couldn't find an outfitter
that would drop off a small group with stuff/supplies and pick up 10
days later.

jeff
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

jeff miller wrote:

any interest in putting a trip together?

No. Been there, done that.

Old December 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

rw wrote:
jeff miller wrote:
any interest in putting a trip together?

No. Been there, done that.

At one time I wanted to get a trip together to wander around the
Buffalo district of Bridger-Teton National Forest just south of
Yellowstone. It's still something I'd consider if an outfitter
would pack in the gear with horses or mules *and* I could walk.
If I never get on another ****ing horse again so long as I live
that will be just fine by me. Mules aren't so bad but I'd still
rather walk.

My doctor's nephew is a llama outfitter operating in the
Wind River Range but I don't know of any llama outfitters in
the Bridger-Tetons. Llamas would be cool too, anything rather
than riding a damn horse.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:37:47 -0600, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

rw wrote:
jeff miller wrote:
any interest in putting a trip together?

No. Been there, done that.

At one time I wanted to get a trip together to wander around the
Buffalo district of Bridger-Teton National Forest just south of
Yellowstone. It's still something I'd consider if an outfitter
would pack in the gear with horses or mules *and* I could walk.
If I never get on another ****ing horse again so long as I live
that will be just fine by me. Mules aren't so bad but I'd still
rather walk.

My doctor's nephew is a llama outfitter operating in the
Wind River Range but I don't know of any llama outfitters in
the Bridger-Tetons. Llamas would be cool too, anything rather
than riding a damn horse.

Hmmm...could you get a quote on a Fawn Lake expedition...?

HTH,
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 8, 1:31*am, "Fred" wrote:
Goats are out becuase they ate my wife's garden
You can't fence in a goat

We had a goat for a while to keep the sheep company; but like you
suggest, he just murdered the fences. He wasn't so bad on our own
stuff; but he'd climb up on the fences to eat the neighbor's fence
line brush. He'd bend, break, or generally destroy all of the wire
between us and anything he wanted to eat. Had to get rid of him.

Joe F.