More on The New Fly Fisher series

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

Default More on The New Fly Fisher series

Thought I pass this on, but I'm sure a lot of you know or heard this
already.

This is in regards from previous post I've read on what fly to select.

In the New Fly Fisher show I viewed Sunday mornings, the angler didn't even
bother to look into his fly box until he used his bug screen catcher on the
river. I'm sure most of us have seen one before, but it's a fine meshed
screen about 2'x3' with two handles. He stands down stream about 4-5' with
his bug catcher in the water, as has his friend (upstream) disturb the
bottom with his foot. Sure enough, he catches insects in the bug screen.
They both observe and make the closest match in first size and then color.
Then they plan on the depth, and speed of the drift. It seem to work as
they were hooking up on some good size browns.

They also make nets with the meshed bug screens. Might be something to look
into.
-tom

Old December 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 11 Dec, 19:42, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
[...]

They work well, but it is better to seine the water first without
disturbing the bottom etc, as otherwise you will end up with various
immature nymphs etc which are not hatching.

TL
MC
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in
:

Sure enough, he catches insects in the bug screen.
They both observe and make the closest match in first size and then
color. Then they plan on the depth, and speed of the drift. It seem
to work as they were hooking up on some good size browns.

I have a nifty thing that I keep in my vest that helps me figure out the
hatch:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-5x...monocular.html

Not very expensive for such a high quality bit of optics.

I also have a bent up aquarium net that I use for the drift, but the
monocular helps me figure out how the fish are taking. Together, they can
be deadly, and I often find myself scoping out birds and animals w/ the
monocular.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 11 Dec, 20:40, Scott Seidman wrote:
"Tom Nakashima" wrote :

Sure enough, he catches insects in the bug screen.
They both observe and make the closest match in first size and then
color. Then they plan on the depth, and speed of the drift. It seem
to work as they were hooking up on some good size browns.

I have a nifty thing that I keep in my vest that helps me figure out the
hatch:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-5x...monocular.html

Not very expensive for such a high quality bit of optics.

I also have a bent up aquarium net that I use for the drift, but the
monocular helps me figure out how the fish are taking. Together, they can
be deadly, and I often find myself scoping out birds and animals w/ the
monocular.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Agree absolutely with that, but I prefer folding binoculars that will
focus down to ten feet or less, and slightly higher powered. I use
10*25 Bresser´s ( Like these; but an older model
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-10x2...591684-1907849.

I did use a good monocular for some time, but I often had difficulty
finding hatching flies etc and keeping them in view.

TL
MC
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

Mike wrote in
:

On 11 Dec, 20:40, Scott Seidman wrote:
"Tom Nakashima" wrote

anford.EDU:

[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-10x2...cular/dp/B0007
TY0PU/ref=pd_sbs_sg_njs_title_2/202-6591684-1907849.

I did use a good monocular for some time, but I often had difficulty
finding hatching flies etc and keeping them in view.

TL
MC

Space in my vest really comes at a premium these days. Plus, the
monocular just makes me look that much sillier from streamside, so its a
plus all the way around.

This is a nice monocular. The FOV is only about 10% less than those
Bresser's

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:42:09 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

n the New Fly Fisher show I viewed Sunday mornings, the angler didn't even
bother to look into his fly box until he used his bug screen catcher on the
river. I'm sure most of us have seen one before, but it's a fine meshed
screen about 2'x3' with two handles. He stands down stream about 4-5' with
his bug catcher in the water, as has his friend (upstream) disturb the
bottom with his foot.

That's the San Juan Shuffle if the guy down stream starts fishing.
d'o)

I used to carry a small seine in my vest - two five inch sticks with a
fine mesh stapled onto them. It worked real well. However, if you
know a river (let's say as well as a guide does), you shouldn't have
to use this method to find out what they are hitting. You would
intuitively know. Chances are the guys in the movie tied on either a
PT or a GRHE, with or without soft hackle. d)

Another often used method is to pick up a rock out of knee deep water
and see what is on it.

IMO, being able to read the water and know where fish are holding is a
far more beneficial skill.