Tips for getting a long cast?

Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Logic316[_2_]

Default Tips for getting a long cast?

Hi folks,
Generally speaking, what is recommended to obtain the farthest possible cast
from a spinning rod and reel? I've read in one magazine that the lighter
line you use, the less resistance you get and therefore the farther the
cast. But my dad always said that with a heavier line, you can use heavier
sinkers to get it out further. I've also read conflicting views on setting
up the reel spool and what size reel to use. I read in one fishing magazine
that keeping the spool as full of line as possible reduces the friction the
spool places on the line as it unravels during the cast (and when using my
hand to pull line off of a spool that's only filled halfway or less, this
does seem to be true). But I've seen other fisherman claim on the 'net that
the trick to a longer cast is to keep *only* as much line on the spool as
you need to make the cast and to allow sufficient line to play a fish,
because with a full spool the line will whip around in a wider circumference
and thus cause more friction against the rod guides during a cast. I've also
read that a small spool feeds out the line in a smaller circumference (and
thus places less friction against the rod guides), but one would think that
a smaller spool also causes the line to form tighter and more numerous loops
and have more "memory" which would cause more friction against the rod
guides as it's played out.
Any thoughts?

- Logic316

"If your main parachute fouls, deploy your reserve. If your reserve is also
fouled, you have the rest of your life to get it straightened out."

Old July 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Rodney Long

Logic316 wrote:
[...]

For the absolute longest cast, you use heavy "and" light line at the
same time. About 25 feet of heavy line on the end, 400+ yds of light
line spooled on the reel. The heavy line allows you to throw heavy
weights (don't use weight higher than what your rod is rated for, rods
do explode when casting too much weight "been there and done that")

Personally I use a "spectra braid" line as my heavy line

Regardless the key is a proper knot that will both hold and slide
through the reel and rod eyes

This is the knot I use for putting lines together, some also like the
Uni but this one out preforms it

http://ezknot.com/line2line.htm

For the long cast records most use 2 to 4 lb main line yet throw 4 or
more Oz's of weight, the knot shown will even tie 2 lb to 50 lb mono,
but I much prefer the Spectra braid for this application

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control