Costa Rica

Old December 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

Default Costa Rica

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for fly fisfhing there?

I did google some info and ouitfitters but anyone w first hand experience
would be great

Thanks
Fred
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Fred wrote:
Does anyone have experience or recommendations for fly fisfhing there?

I did google some info and ouitfitters but anyone w first hand experience
would be great

Thanks
Fred

are you talking about sal****er? ...or the one trout stream in the
country? g i have friends who go...and a local guide here travels
there every year for sal****er fishing. what are you looking for?

jeff
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 4-Dec-2009, jeff wrote:

are you talking about sal****er? ...or the one trout stream in the
country? g i have friends who go...and a local guide here travels
there every year for sal****er fishing. what are you looking for?

We would go for at least a week so I would lik e to do both salt and
freshwater
Bonefish , tarpon, snook - I think and trout in freshwater

So far http://www.flyfishcostarica.com/ is my info source but i would like
to spea to someeone w/ more first hand experience

I am awaiting a friend of a friend to contcat me re travel plans (a travel
agent)

Thanks
Fred
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-12-04 15:31:14 -0500, "Fred" said:

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for fly fisfhing there?

I did google some info and ouitfitters but anyone w first hand experience
would be great

Never fished there but visited in an "official" capacity. Be careful!

Not much fishing on the Atlantic side, and Pacific is home to some good
bill fishing. Plenty of other areas for better fly fishing imho.

Old December 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 4-Dec-2009, "Bill McKee" wrote:

For Tarpon, Bonefish you are going to be on the East side. The Caribbean.

I do not think there is much flats fishing there. The Caribbean side is
rougher than any other place I have seen in the Caribbean and there are
lots
of Tiger Sharks that like to bite waders. They told us to stay out of the

salt water when in Tortuguero. I fished, but not fly for Tarpon. The
Guide, Elvin, said they were deep at the time. I hooked 6 landed 4. From

20 to 60# and lost an estimated 100# fish. The guide I used also does fly

and said in October when the turtles hatch, you can catch all you want on
the surface, and everyone is spitting out baby turtles. I used
http://tortuguerosportsfish.tripod.com/

He speaks very good English, is married to an American Lady. Very nice
people. They can arrange for lodging also I think. We did a 3 day
package
to the area, and extended a day for fishing. 3 days would have allowed
all
the sightseeing and a day of fishing. Was I think $400 for the boat for
the
day, I went alone as wife does not fish. I was originally looking at Rio
Colorado, but it is maybe a 30-60 minute boat ride North. My daughter and

husband flew in and got a sightseeing guide locally and stayed in a
smaller
pension. Was a lot cheaper than my trip. And better sightseeing guide.
We
stayed at Laguna Lodge. Did not fish the Pacific Side. Thought the boats

were overpriced. Have an aquaintance that is a partner in Zancudo Lodge,
and people I know liked the lodge and fishing. South west part of CR. We

spent a month in CR, and figured we were a week too long. Any questions
regarding the places we stayed, post here or email me.

Bill
Thanks -Real good info to get me further in planniing this trip
I just googled Zancudo Lodge - I will probably find others

My main concern, now, really is the safety of Americans - someone ( mayvbe
on this lisrt answered me by telling me to be wary - or aware of just this.
I have no desire to ecer go back to Mexico.

It is still early in the planning for me and a friend to leave cold Montana
behind for week or more - fishing.
Thanx again

Fred
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Dec 6, 8:50*am, "Fred" wrote:

My main concern, now, really is the safety of Americans - someone ( mayvbe
on this lisrt answered me by telling me to be wary - or aware *of just this.

That's your MAIN concern??

I think the State Departmen's worldwide 'Danger to Americans' thing is
overemphasized. No need to be paranoid...everyone can come up with
some scare story that happened to the brother of the roommate's
cousin, but in reality...considering how many Americans are
overseas...its a non-starter. Go where you will, enjoy yourself.
Ignore the doom-and-gloomers.

--riverman
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-12-06 09:11:53 -0500, "Tim J."
said:

riverman wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:50 am, "Fred" wrote:

My main concern, now, really is the safety of Americans - someone (
mayvbe on this lisrt answered me by telling me to be wary - or aware
of just this.

That's your MAIN concern??

I think the State Departmen's worldwide 'Danger to Americans' thing is
overemphasized. No need to be paranoid...everyone can come up with
some scare story that happened to the brother of the roommate's
cousin, but in reality...considering how many Americans are
overseas...its a non-starter. Go where you will, enjoy yourself.
Ignore the doom-and-gloomers.

I hear Somalia is nice this time of year.

Venesuela too.

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2009-12-06 20:53:18 -0500, "John B" said:

I got a little shack a couple of hours from maguaindanao on mindanao in the
philippines...y'all want arrange a clave?

Not with an insane person. d;o)

Old December 7th, 2009, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

Old December 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

"Fred" wrote in message
news

[...]

Never had a fear for safety when we were there. And we go without room
reservations for most of a trip. The worst areas are on the Pacific Coast
where the surfers are. Lots of petty theft and be careful of the credit /
debit cards. Mostly the Tamarindo area.