Redfish spawn

Old November 12th, 2003, 12:47 PM
licker

Default Redfish spawn

Here are a few tips to prevent line twist.

First,

No matter if it is a baitcaster or a spinning reel, the line must be loaded
on to the reel correctly. Spinning type reels must be filled with the side
plate of the line-spool facing the front of the reel's spool. The line
coming off the line-spool must be coming off in the same direction as it is
going onto the reel. For baitcasters reels the line should come off the
spool directly, with the line on the spool facing the line on the reel. If
you pull out some line and it twist around the eyelets it is not loaded
correctly. This can be corrected without throwing the line away.

Second,

You need to use a swivel. The biggest cause of line twist while using a
swivel is because the swivel does not swivel. This is usually caused by
using too large of a swivel. As a rough but good guide, the diameter of the
wire used to make the swivel should match the diameter of the main line you
are using and not the leader. If the swivel is to big there is not enough
torque in the main line to swivel the swivel.

Third

When using a spinning reel and you are playing a fish, stop winding when the
fish starts pulling line of the reel. If you continue to wind the line
while line is being pulled off the reel, every turn of the reel handle will
place, on average, five twists in the line.

How to get line twist out.

First remove anything attached to the end of the line. Then if in a boat
slowly pull off while feeding the line from the spool. After about fifty
feet stop for a few minutes and let the line straighten itself out. Then
slowly take off pulling another 50 feet. Do this until the entire line is
empty of the spool. Then reel spool the line.

If near a river slowly feed the line into the river's current. Stop about
every fifty feet and let the line straighten itself out then feed another
fifty feet. Do this until the entire the reel is empty the reel in the
line.

If you prefer not to use a swivel you may want to try a knot called a King
Sling knot. It will make crankbaits more presentable.

Also remember to keep your rod tip up will keep the lure in the upper
portion of the water you are throwing in. Lower your rod tip will lower the
lure in the water. It will also change its presentation from fluttering up
then back down in between reels to a more pulling straight through the water
like a spinner bait. You may also want to try adding spinner in front of
the gold spoon or some type of flasher..

Sarge

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
licker

Speed depends on conditions, Sometimes I like just fast enough to keep it
off the bottom and others I like bouncing it off the bottom. if the bottom.
If I was going to attach a trailer I would attach it to the last ring where
the hook attaches. I would make it about 12 to 18 inches. I f I was
attaching a flasher I would make it at the point where I attached the line
or at the hook location depending on the type of spoon.

I have several different type of spoons I throw. Some are weedless and some
are not. Some have more then one treble hook and others just one. I have
no preference on type of spoon. I just look at the type of bottom I might
be fishing in and choose if I want one designed to bounce of the bottom or
one that is suppose to be retrieved. If their is a lot of grass in the
water I will go weedless. I also fished the spoon under a cork in heavy
grass locations. Using the cork helps keep the spoon above the grass and
allows it to flutter up and down as you pop the cork.

Every wonder what your lure may look like going through the water try
throwing the lure in a swimming pool. Try different retrieve speeds and
methods. Try twitching your wrist while letting the lure settle on a bump
and retrieve method.

Satge

Old November 12th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Basspro*

Licker, I use a gold spoon that is weedless with one fixed hook. I've
seen a bass fishing show once where the guy had a spoon the wobbled
from side to side but never 360 degrees (thus twisting). Is there any
spoon out there you are aware of that only turns side to side (180
degrees)? If so, this is the one I want. They seem more presentable
for the type of flats fishing I do for reds.

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
licker

Try the Gator LuresLLC weedless spoon.

Here is the description from a web site.

Features a unique patented design which allows a worm or a skirt to be
secured on the body of the spoon in such a matter that it acts as a fulcrum.
This increases spoon wobble and decreases complete rotations, substantially
reducing line twist. Made from the highest quality materials, a brass blade,
stainless weedguard and double strength hook.

Sarge

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:45 PM
joe

In article ,
(Basspro*) wrote:

Joe that makes sense about the ball bearing swivel. I'll give that a
shot. Also, how fast do you retrieve a spoon? I have noticed the
slower the retrieve the less the line twist, but if I retrieve to
slowly it sinks too fast. Also, do you ever use a trailer on the spoon
for redfish? Perhaps a grub tail or something similar? Would that help
reduce the twist also?

The retrieve speed can make a difference but I notice very little line
twist with the swivel. I do typically use a braided line on my spinning
reels (PowerPro or TuffLine) and they are not really as susceptible to
line twist. I do have a couple of outfits with a hybrid mono that I may
tie a spoon on but again twist is minimal.

The retrieve speed varies. It depends on the fish and maybe the water
temps. If I am not getting hits when it is known that fish are present
or hits and no hook ups (nice thing about a spoon with a weed guard is
that you are pretty certain you had a hit if the guard is bent) I may
change the speed. I know that reds are supposed to have poor sight but I
have seen then in the shallows yak fishing run 20 feet to blast my spoon
on a fast retrieve.

The thing my buddy/mentor keeps reminding me is to let the spoon drop to
near the bottom before beginning your retrieve. I have to say though
that reds will surprise you and I have seen every kind of take on the
flats. Including undoing a slight bird's nest and having a fish that
apparently picked up the spoon off the bottom. Usually the aim is to
keep it near the bottom or at grass top.

In the winter, cooler water you may want to work the spoon slower. A
trailer works well for that. I have used a grub or the purpose maid
trailers. There is also a 'new' product originating in Florida called
'Fish Bites' that I have used. They have a 'crab scent' that is good for
reds. It will come off at some point unlike a plastic though. I have
used them on several occasions and they seem to make a difference but I
have no conclusive evidence. The trailer may help reduce twist as it
typically changes action a little. It will also allow a slower retrieve
which may be just the ticket for sluggish cool water fish.

Lastly, try the silver spoon. I know everyone says gold but I can show
you evidence otherwise; in the Tampa Bay area anyway.

good fishing,

joe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Basspro*

Turns out Bass Pro Shops carries the Gator Lures LLC product line. We
have a new Bass Pro Shops in Destin, FL (about 20 minutes from my
house) so I'll head over there to grab some. Thanks for the advice. I
went to their website and you're right about it not twisting 360
degrees. They claim that this lure creates no line twist whatsoever.
Neat product.