Florida Keys

Old March 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM
wg992000

Default Florida Keys

Hi All - Live in northern New England and need a vaca. Am thinking about
taking my 14 yr old son down to the Keys ( not nec Key West), rent a boat
( 20 -24') and do some fishing. Have never done this before - anyone have
any experience doing this?

Best place, marina etc.???????

Thanks for any help.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:40 AM
joe

In article ,
"wg992000" wg992000@ wrote:

Hi All - Live in northern New England and need a vaca. Am thinking about
taking my 14 yr old son down to the Keys ( not nec Key West), rent a boat
( 20 -24') and do some fishing. Have never done this before - anyone have
any experience doing this?

Best place, marina etc.???????

Never rented a boat down there but Bud & Mary's Marina may be a starting
point. To be honest though, you would really maximize your time and
enjoyment by getting a guide. No doubt there is great looking water all
over but being the right place at the right time is what it is all about.

Several of my buddies from down around Tampa Bay and I took our kayaks
down. I think it would take a few trips down to get it right. I have
also been several times with my original fishing buddy who got me back
into sal****er angling. We took his flats skiff down and stayed 3 or 4
days each trip. Docked out of Islamorada and saw some tarpon as well as
cast to quite a few but never had a hook up in 3 or 4 trips down.

The fact is that you will enjoy yourself fish or not and you can not
find water that pretty anywhere I know of north of the islands.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Dan Krueger

Bud & Mary's also has motel rooms. They are outdated but clean and cheap. The
Hampton Inn is within walking distance to the north. They have transient slips.
I think they are all near mile marker 80.

Whatever you do, stop at Bud & Mary's and walk to the fish cleaning station and
down the dock where the guide boats are parked. You will see literally hundreds
of tarpon. It seems like when you have spotted the largest one, a bigger one
swims by!

Dan