i was hoping for a fly fishing christmas

Old December 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM
snakefiddler

Default i was hoping for a fly fishing christmas

and i got it-
santa brought me a cabela's backcountry wading jacket, two new floating fly
lines, some tippet, a pair of hemostats (had some but now i can put an extra
pair on my jacket), an assortment of dry flies, a wading belt, some neoprene
socks, a reel pouch, and a pair of retractors with a snipper to put on my
new jacket.
just what every fly fishin girl dreams of ;-)

question- one of the lines came with instructions, which talks about balance
and stuff. is changing the line really as complicated as it sounds?
i will try to google up some info on changing lines, but any REAL advice
will be appreciated-

snake

Old December 27th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Wolfgang

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

question- one of the lines came with instructions, which talks about
balance and stuff. is changing the line really as complicated as it
sounds?
i will try to google up some info on changing lines, but any REAL advice
will be appreciated-

Well, the usual suspects haven't shown up, so I'll give it a shot.

First, the best thing to do about balance is ignore it. Beyond the common
sense notion of using a reel whose size is suited to the rod, balance means
absolutely nothing. Disclaimer: I have reason to believe this is a minority
opinion.

Changing lines really isn't complicated at all. If you've got instructions
that make it seem so, there are any number of sites on line that can explain
it. Keep looking till you find one that makes sense. Any of them that
doesn't appear to do so doesn't......and there will be some.

Before tying any permanent knots, spool the line up on the reel and then add
as much backing as you need to fill it. Remove both and then essentially,
all you have to do is attach the backing to the arbor or to a hole in the
side wall of the reel with a suitable knot, and then the line to the backing
by any of a fairly small number of techniques. Voila.

I'll leave the knots of choice to others.

Wolfgang