Palmering

Old October 17th, 2004, 04:03 PM
riverman

Default Palmering

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:05:05 +0100, "riverman" wrote:

Hey Jarmo;
Yep, thats what I was leading myself into also. I think thats how MC
showed
me to do it in Denmark, also, but I haven't tied any wooly buggers in a
while and forgot! I can see three distinct advantages to it:
1) the hackle lies back the way it's supposed to
2) since the longer hairs are up near the head, the shape of the fly is
more
like a bait fish
3) the windings over the top lock down the palmered hackle so that it
won't
unwind if some fish bites it once too often.

Seeing as how its not a floating fly, the extra trips up the shaft of the
fly with the thread don't cause any negative effect on the weight, either.

I think I might just reverse palmer and not even care about why my
straight
palmers don't curl right.

I palmer my wooly buggers that way for durability. As to 2), if you don't
reverse palmer just tie the tip of the hackle in at the hook bend instead
of
the butt.

Yes, thats the correct method, but I keep breaking them that way. I hate
that...gotta get a lighter touch.

On another track...I just tied up my first #12 Red Humpy. Didn't have any
antron for the body, so I sliced up some red marabou and dubbed with
it....that part came out pretty nice. However, getting the 'wings' to sit up
in a nice tight little package was very hard, as they seem to want to spin
out into a fuzzball. And judging the length of deerhair to tie on so that it
makes the wing cases and wings the right length is nutso. My first humpy
looks more like a big grey burdock with a hangover.

--riverman

Old October 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Herman Nijland

riverman wrote:

Yes, thats the correct method, but I keep breaking them that way. I hate
that...gotta get a lighter touch.

On another track...I just tied up my first #12 Red Humpy. Didn't have any
antron for the body, so I sliced up some red marabou and dubbed with
it....that part came out pretty nice. However, getting the 'wings' to sit up
in a nice tight little package was very hard, as they seem to want to spin
out into a fuzzball. And judging the length of deerhair to tie on so that it
makes the wing cases and wings the right length is nutso. My first humpy
looks more like a big grey burdock with a hangover.

--riverman

That's not bad at all for a first humpy. The humpy is a notorious
difficult fly to tie right, the choice and amount of the materials is
quite critical. I tied a couple in a tying class once, and decided I
didn't really need them :-).

--
Herman

Old October 17th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Mike Connor

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

riverman When I tie Wooly Buggers, the hackle fibers inevitably end
riverman up either vertical at best, or more commonly pointing
riverman forward. ... What's the trick?

Hi Myron!

The experts will give you the correct answer soon, but I've always
solved this problem by using reverse palmering:

http://www.frontrangeanglers.com/new...ersehackle.htm

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

That is indeed the best way to do it. Easier application, better appearance,
and greater durability. There is no real point in using any other method,
although traditionally salmon flies are palmered somewhat differently, in
order to obtain a special appearance.

TL
MC

Old October 18th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Stephen Welsh

"riverman" wrote in :

What's the trick?

Fold the hackle and sweep the hackle backwards as you wrap forward.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...e/lesson3.html

has _one_ of the methods for folding hackle.

Steve

Old October 19th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:33:43 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

When I tie Wooly Buggers, the hackle fibers inevitably end up either
vertical at best, or more commonly pointing forward. I've tried twisting
them as I wind them around to get them to lay back, and have tried tying
them on several different ways: with the stripped nub over the top of the
shaft, under it, parallel to it etc., and have experimented with how I
orient the curve of the hackle. I'm missing something, as I just cannot get
the palmered hackle to lay the right way; pointing backwards down the fly.
What's the trick?

--riverman

Who says that pointing forward is wrong?

Think about the action . . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html