Tail end of the Pmd hatch

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
William Claspy

Default Tail end of the Pmd hatch

On 7/25/06 2:46 PM, in article , "Conan The
Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (that was the closest I got to nymph fishing the
whole trip)

Elitist.

:-)

Bill

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in news:ea5o25$6vi$1
@news.Stanford.EDU:

This may sound strange, but I actually had a rainbow swallow a #16 Adams
when the line & fly when under.

When you're trying to do this, its called wet fly fishing. Very
productive, very big fish, but unfortunately out of style. Next time you
find yourself upstream from an intermittant rise, try to take the fish with
a wet fly, like a partridge and green. I tie a very buggy looking hair
wing wet that works very well.

Fish the wet fly like a wet fly-- quartering downstream cast, mend upstream
to slow down the swing, and try to start the big part of the swing right in
front of the trout you're fishing to. The more fish you take when you do
this in the perfect conditions, like the downstream intermittant riser, the
more confidence you'll develop in the technique for general fishing
purposes.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (that was the closest I got to nymph fishing the
whole trip)

Elitist.

:-)

And your point is? :-)

Chuck Vance (who has been doing way too little fishing these
days, and would probably even consider throwing a woolly bugger if we
would just get some rain and the rivers would rise a bit down here)

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jimbo

"rw" wrote in message
m...
jimbo wrote:

FWIW, I recently read that Tappley (of Taps Tips fame) conducted an
experiment with some of his friends one season, wherein each participant
fished "Tap's NearNuff" exclusively, changing only size, and at the end
of the season reported the results. The consensus was that using that one
pattern all season did not affect their success rate.

What does that fly look like? What's the recipe?

I'll try to find the article tonight. I think it was in American Angler.
Basically, as I recall, it was a brown quill body, brown hackled fly. If and
when I find it, I'll post the pattern. A Google search wasn't much help.
(Probably don't recall the name as accurately as I should.)

Jim

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
William Claspy

On 7/25/06 2:56 PM, in article
, "Ken Fortenberry"
wrote:

Tim J. wrote:
rw typed:
I'd like a link to the Usual pattern, or a recipe.

http://tinyurl.com/ld4wf

Tom Littleton ties the best Usual I've ever used. I got
it in a fly swap it's long since gone but it was a very
productive fly.

http://gula.org/roffswaps/detail.php?page=FS2002&id=22

I wasn't in on that swap, but I must have gotten one of those from Tom at
Penns one year. Very good fly indeed. I also got one of Willi's snowshoe
hare emergers when I fished with him in Colorado, and which he also had in
that same swap- and is another effective fly.

Of course, with 41 flies in a swap, at least a couple of 'em are bound to be
good! :-)

Bill

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

rw wrote in
:

Scott Seidman wrote:
rw wrote in news:44c65a05$0$24189
:

If I had to use one fly all season (horrible thought!) it would be a
PT (or maybe a Skip's Nymph).

If I went with a dry, I'd probably go with a Usual, cause I could
fish it as a nymph in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd probably go w/ a grhe
or something like that. PT would be another option

I'd like a link to the Usual pattern, or a recipe. Several people have
recommended it. I don't think it's a common Western US pattern.

The problem with doing a Google search for the Usual is that its name
is so, well, usual. :-)

It's a Fran Betters pattern, so it comes out of the Catskills area, I
think. I know Mary Dette sells a ton of them.

As Forty mentions, our Tom is quite the Usual expert. He has some great
advice on how to tie very small versions with bunny feet.

You'll notice that some versions have up wings and some have down wings.
Tie 'em both, and see what rings your bell, but I think the original was
up wing. Either way, its a two-minute tie, if that long. You can
imitate just about anything you want with it. For one Adirondacks trip
to W. Canada Creek, I tied a bunch in white to match the white fly hatch.
For some reason, it was a killing pattern for my group in the Catskills
this spring.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Tom Nakashima wrote:
"rw" wrote

Agreed, the Adams is the most versatile dry fly. I prefer the parachute
style and always carry sizes from #10 to #20.

I'll ditto the Adams pattern, my favorite, mine rage from #12-20 in both
light and dark.
I also have the Parachute Adams in 14-20 light and dark as well.
These are the 4 dry-fly patterns I fish the most.

I much prefer the traditional Adams to the para style, though I know the
latter tends to be much more popular these days.

I see the traditional tie better on the water under a wider range of
conditions. It also seems to produce better, which of course may merely
be a function of the "confidence factor."

--
John Russell aka JR

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Tim J. wrote:

Conan The Librarian typed:

Chuck Vance (who has been doing way too little fishing these
days, and would probably even consider throwing a woolly bugger if we
would just get some rain and the rivers would rise a bit down here)

Hey - Maybe we could set up a series of pipes and pumps. . . nah, bad idea.
;-)

Hilarious ... and so timely, to boot. :-)

Your pal,
Chucko
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Conan The Librarian typed:

Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (that was the closest I got to nymph fishing the
whole trip)

Elitist.

And your point is? :-)

Chuck Vance (who has been doing way too little fishing these
days, and would probably even consider throwing a woolly bugger if we
would just get some rain and the rivers would rise a bit down here)

Hey - Maybe we could set up a series of pipes and pumps. . . nah, bad idea.
;-)
--
TL,
Tim
-------------------------
http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
William Claspy

Librarian" wrote:

Chuck Vance (that was the closest I got to nymph fishing the
whole trip)

Elitist.

:-)

And your point is? :-)

No point, just trying a cast or two to see if I can get a rise.

:-)

Bill